Eyelash extensions are wrecking me! Help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beatrice11

Reaction score
Hi there,

I was hoping some fellow eyelash techs could please help me before I give up and pack it in.

I trained in 2010 with eyelash extensions, went away and came back to it. I've been doing it for a few months now and I'm still struggling to get to grips with it.

At the beginning I wasn't applying enough glue now I've been told I'm applying too much- personally I don't think this is the case as you can't see it and I've seen clumpy glue on other people's work so I know what to look for.

I keep gluing the Eyelashes together and I'm using tape plus pads over the top. I am even gluing some of the lashes to the pad even though I comb through every single one. I haven't tried taping the lid by the brow up yet as I've heard this can help. But I'm just wondering did anyone else struggle this much and continue making the same mistakes? Should I accept I'm know good at it and walk away.

I had a client today who sent me an email after her treatment saying they were uneven and over glued. I didn't take a picture. I thought they looked fine but I did mess up the treatment as I glued a few lashes together and did pull apart her lid. She is a beauty therapist and I think this peed her off- which is understandable.

I'm quite upset as I'm feeling very deflated right about now. Any advice would be greatly appreciated:)

Also she said that they were uneven but I'm not sure what she means as this was the plan I did- c curl: outer corner 9 then 11s in the middle then 9s again and finally 7s on the very inside corner. I I'm so stressed!

Oh bless you, I hate doing lashes as I couldn't get them perfect, so I have stepped away from them... I k ow this doesn't help at all, but just wanted you to know that not all therapists are expert lash therapists......

That's what I was thinking of doing just. I'm so relieved I'm not the only one! I've done 16 people and I am honk I've got worse lol not better! Itsctte gluing then to the pad that upsets me the most. I wayeched endless amounts of YouTube videos but still no improvement. I'm tempted to have one last pun on it on friends and family and then throw the tweezers in Maybe try facials or something else. Thanks fir the moral support xxxx

How can you have made 16 sets and not tried the taped lid trick since you have so many problems?
You really need to start taping the lid up as that helps a lot with eyelashes touching the pad. It should diminish it straight away if not eliminate it. Some people have more extruded brow bones so it will be a little more difficult with them, so make sure you have a strong tape to keep the lid up, preferably by 3M.
As to gluing lashes together, that's standard isolating problems. Taping the lid up will help see and isolate the lashes better. You might also need to get a fast setting glue as I've found at first that even though I would isolate a lash perfectly when I would leave it the others next to it would fall on top and since I was working with a slow glue they would stick together. So get a fast setting glue, or wait for your glue to set a little before you release the lash.

How can you have made 16 sets and not tried the taped lid trick since you have so many problems?
You really need to start taping the lid up as that helps a lot with eyelashes touching the pad. It should diminish it straight away if not eliminate it. Some people have more extruded brow bones so it will be a little more difficult with them, so make sure you have a strong tape to keep the lid up, preferably by 3M.
As to gluing lashes together, that's standard isolating problems. Taping the lid up will help see and isolate the lashes better. You might also need to get a fast setting glue as I've found at first that even though I would isolate a lash perfectly when I would leave it the others next to it would fall on top and since I was working with a slow glue they would stick together. So get a fast setting glue, or wait for your glue to set a little before you release the lash.
Yesterday was the first time I heard about the taping up as we was not taught this on our training. It's strange because my first set I had no problem at all, it's like I've picked up so bad habits. I'm using marvel lash ultra bond but I've ordered flirties and I've ordered new tweezers as the ones I had aren't great, just to see if that helps. Thank you for taking the time to offer me such helpful advice! Xxx

Oh bless you. Extensions are so hard to learn but you do get a few eureka moments along the way when something just clicks.
Ok for starters you need a good sharp pair of tweezers. Isolation is the big thing and you can't isolate properly if you don't have good tweezers.
It's better to only do 20 lashes per eye but they all be properly isolated rather than a fuller set that's not isolated well.
Now 16 sets is not that many really so stop being so hard on yourself.
Now adhesive. Once you start getting a bit quicker then move on to a quicker setting adhesive. This will make a massive difference if you are struggling with 'stickies'.
Also make sure you are only dipping the base of your extension in the adhesive. You just need to dip and place and not swipe the adhesive up the lashes. It will start to cure whilst you are swiping and this ill affect retention.
Just persevere. You've only been back doing it a few months and you've only done 16 sets. I think you maybe need to do them more often. Limit yourself to 2 hours but don't stress about it.
Maybe you could do a refresher with someone and maybe get some more hints and tips. Good luck x

Oh bless you. Extensions are so hard to learn but you do get a few eureka moments along the way when something just clicks.
Ok for starters you need a good sharp pair of tweezers. Isolation is the big thing and you can't isolate properly if you don't have good tweezers.
It's better to only do 20 lashes per eye but they all be properly isolated rather than a fuller set that's not isolated well.
Now 16 sets is not that many really so stop being so hard on yourself.
Now adhesive. Once you start getting a bit quicker then move on to a quicker setting adhesive. This will make a massive difference if you are struggling with 'stickies'.
Also make sure you are only dipping the base of your extension in the adhesive. You just need to dip and place and not swipe the adhesive up the lashes. It will start to cure whilst you are swiping and this ill affect retention.
Just persevere. You've only been back doing it a few months and you've only done 16 sets. I think you maybe need to do them more often. Limit yourself to 2 hours but don't stress about it.
Maybe you could do a refresher with someone and maybe get some more hints and tips. Good luck x
Thank you your reply was so useful and I think I've finally turned a corner. Everything you said was spot on and you were my saviour! So thank you so much. If you don't already teach you should consider it! Xxx

Honestly just keep practising and give it time! I know how you feel. I used to be crap at lashes as my initial training wasn't great and I felt like I never really knew what to do but the more I read up and practised the better I got! I'm now trained in volume lashes aswell and lashes are one of my main treatments! I sometimes stick them to the bottom if the pads slip and we all have little mishaps. Just keep going! :) xx

Thank you your reply was so useful and I think I've finally turned a corner. Everything you said was spot on and you were my saviour! So thank you so much. If you don't already teach you should consider it! Xxx
Aw thank you! Lashes are so frustrating sometimes but once you are confident and competent then you'll be love doing them.
I've been lashing 8 years now and still have days where I want to throw my tweezers up the wall! lol
I am starting to write my training courses up as I'm changing one of the rooms in my salon to a training room as I've always wanted to teach and I got my teaching qualification 6 years ago so it's about time I utilized it :) x

How kind of you to post such a useful answer. Thank you

How kind of you to post such a useful answer. Thank you

Hmm hard to explain. You sort of drag it back and tape it. Try to find a YouTube video to understand it better. That’s how I learnt it.

Latest posts

Back