Eyelash extensions-are you suppose to shampoo them?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rossa

Reaction score
Hi, peeps, I'm after a bit of advise here.

I've done this lady's lashes infills. She had them done somewhere else so I've used similar thickness/ curls and she was pleased as she left.

She then emailed me saying she is not happy as the lashes seem to be untidy and facing different directions. I asked her to send photos and they do seem to be not as even as they usually are. I've asked her if she followed my aftercare, she said yes. She then went on to say she is shampooing her lashes with Johnson no more tears.

I'm like …Hang on. Shampooing your lashes??! I've been doing extensions for 5 years and I've never advised that. But on googling it, looks like many websites recommend it.

Is this what you are supposed to do?

Thanks

Hi, peeps, I'm after a bit of advise here.

I've done this lady's lashes infills. She had them done somewhere else so I've used similar thickness/ curls and she was pleased as she left.

She then emailed me saying she is not happy as the lashes seem to be untidy and facing different directions. I asked her to send photos and they do seem to be not as even as they usually are. I've asked her if she followed my aftercare, she said yes. She then went on to say she is shampooing her lashes with Johnson no more tears.

I'm like …Hang on. Shampooing your lashes??! I've been doing extensions for 5 years and I've never advised that. But on googling it, looks like many websites recommend it.

Is this what you are supposed to do?

Thanks

It is now advised that clients make sure their lashes are kept clean, clear water will not remove oils and makeup residue so it is advised that a "lash poo" is used. Diluted baby shampoo can be used to wash your lashes, this is very gentle on your lashes and will keep them clean.

Unfortunately there has been a rise in Blepharitus and Demodex - lash mites through dirty oily lash lines so it is now advised that they are washed and cleaned regularly xx

I always advise my lash clients to clean their lashes daily. I'm horrified when they tell me they avoid all contact with water as this is only necessary for the first 24 hours as the adhesive cures. Daily cleaning helps prevent eye infections and gets rid of any build up of natural oils which degrades the glue and reduces the lifespan of the extensions.

I always recommend the use of baby shampoo in a dilute form (even better in a foam pump dispenser), as this cleanses and removes oils and maintains lash hygiene as well as preserving the adhesive. Lash hygiene is so important...otherwise it's easy to blame eye infections etc on their lash technician, when in reality it's because they've avoided cleaning their lashes for weeks since they got their extensions. Daily cleansing removes natural oils too, and prolongs the life of extensions...so cleaning is a must!

Last edited:
But is this suitable to work with any lash glue? Could this make her lashes untidy?

But is this suitable to work with any lash glue? Could this make her lashes untidy?

It's unlikely to make her lashes untidy I'm afraid and yes, my understanding is that it is fine with lash adhesives unless manufacturer say otherwise.

I've not actually heard about this until now. I would hope that our lash suppliers bring out a 'lash wash' of some description if this is the case!

Latest posts

Back