Eyelash extensions beginner advice help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adeleyxo

Reaction score
Hi girls,

I'm completely new to all this so bear with me! I done a eyelash extensions course in December 2012, it was a cheaper course as I'm a student and it was literally showing the application and removal but no trends or how to achieve different looks! We were offered a kit but I had already bought a marvel kit online.. However the lashes were so thin and short when I put them on my friends to practice you could hardly tell the difference! So I ordered more lashes from lashbase and a new glue which seems to work very well but I am struggling with lash sizes and thickness to create different looks!

So far I have been using a mixture of C and J curls in sizes 0.20 13mm on the outer lash, 0.20 10mm on the middle and 0.20 9mm or 7mm on the inner.. When the eyes are shut they looks fab but as soon as the client opens their eyes it looks like they have put a coat of mascara on and a slight flick on the edge!

My best friend gets her lashes done by another therapist who makes them look so thick and glamorous and I want to find out how I can achieve this look! I've read through the forums numerous times and have so many pages saved of great advice and without this site I believe I would of given up as it is really disheartening to put all my time and money into this and not achieving the end result I wanted!

If anyone could give me some advice on lashes to buy or maybe application techniques incase I am doing it wrong i would be so grateful as I do not want to have wasted hundreds of pounds for nothing and I enjoy the process!

I have photos of the lashes I've done so far if anyone wants to have a look as well!

Sorry this is so long but I really am struggling now and getting so fed up! :(

Xxxx

I am in the same boat I'm not 100% happy with the lashes I have been doing they have a long lasting time but for some reason I can't create the fullness that I want. Any advice would be great

Hey, I trained two years ago in eyelash extensions I am only just getting the hang of it confidently. I had the same problem with the lashe looking great with eyes shut and not as great with them open. I swapped 0.20 to 0.15 as the heavier the lash you put on are the more they droop down. So try a lighter lash to make them more visible with eyes open :) post your photos on here so we can see but I hope that helps :) xx

Before during and after pics this is my 3rd set any advice welcome

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1363000387.134294.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1363000387.134294.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 565
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1363000408.708681.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1363000408.708681.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 2,018
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1363000428.108042.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1363000428.108042.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 476
And with the eye open after

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1363000532.898809.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1363000532.898809.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 466
Oh okay, I am totally confused then lol I was going to buy 0.25 instead! Thank you.. The photos are my first set..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 1,820
First set x

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 1,113
I had mine done the other day and would love to recreate the look on my clients although I did infill some bold looking bits myself, I just can't seem to recreate the same look

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1363000962.028267.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1363000962.028267.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 421
Hi Hon,
Try checking this out...THE LASH BIBLE - Eyelash information made easy. I found it really helpful. TBH looking at the sets that you have done, I would say that you are focusing to much on length and not enough on fullness, I usually go shorter on the inner and outer corners and mix the curl so using some B and C's in different lengths, IMO using a C curl gives a more glamour look, I mainly use J curl on clients who want a natural look or for really straight lashes.
Hope that helps a bit, Tinaxxxx

When I first started mine too looked better closed and just a little flick on the edges when open. I realised I needed to split the lash line into 3 sections. I now lash from the outter corner to about half way across in 12mm, then split the remaining section to do 10mm in the middle section and 8mm in the inner corner but the inner corner lashes are a really small area. I hope that makes sense! You also need to use 0.15 and really fill in with 8mm between the longer lashes to create volume

Hi Hon,
Try checking this out...THE LASH BIBLE - Eyelash information made easy. I found it really helpful. TBH looking at the sets that you have done, I would say that you are focusing to much on length and not enough on fullness, I usually go shorter on the inner and outer corners and mix the curl so using some B and C's in different lengths, IMO using a C curl gives a more glamour look, I mainly use J curl on clients who want a natural look or for really straight lashes.
Hope that helps a bit, Tinaxxxx

Thank you the lash bible really helped I'm thinking of getting the book! I'm going to order some more b and c curls today! Thanks so much for your help

Xx

When I first started mine too looked better closed and just a little flick on the edges when open. I realised I needed to split the lash line into 3 sections. I now lash from the outter corner to about half way across in 12mm, then split the remaining section to do 10mm in the middle section and 8mm in the inner corner but the inner corner lashes are a really small area. I hope that makes sense! You also need to use 0.15 and really fill in with 8mm between the longer lashes to create volume

Thanks so much for your advice this is just what I was looking for! Ordering new lashes today so fingers crossed next time I get the more desired look!

Xxx

hi guys,

I have found this post very helpful!

I to am new to lashes and I am coming accross the same problem, the lashes look better when the eyes are shut.

I am going to try putting differnt lengths in and filling in any gaps with additional lashes.

What are B curls like?

also, where is the best place to get lashes? The ones I am using at the moment are put on to strips which I keep taped to me hand. I have seen some to buy in pots, but I think this might be a bit fiddley?

I think as a beginner don't beat yourself up too much!

You're learning a new skill and you're doing fine. Your initial sets are better than mine were and you can have a little look at my lashes now if you like.

I'm currently redoing my website so it's not finished. but the eye on the homepage and gallery page are all mine.

Lash N Load

In order to build the fullness you need to use shorter lashes. Stick to using 10mm and 11mm for now. Once you start going longer it's hard to make them look very full.

As you get better you'll also be able to put more lashes in. You eventually want to put double the amount you're putting on now.

I'd ditch the J curls, pointless. I use B and C. I don't think J are effective enough.

I like 0.20, they do make the lashes look thicker. I tend to use half 0.20 and half 0.15 for the health of the lashes.

Try focusing a little more on getting the lashes to point the correct way, think this really helps too.

Hope that helps.

Good luck, you're doing great! :D

I think its all down to persurverence and practice now!

Thanks for the tips though. Can I ask where you buy your lashes from?

Same thing is happening to me and I seriously am trying everything!! I'm starting to think it's the placement of the extension on the natural lash.. The Ds instead of the Cs helped a little but not by much... Help!! Im going crazy because I'm about to spend the 2 grand on the expensive volume class if I don't get this soon

Latest posts

Back