Eyelash extensions - bloodshot eye

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lorrainelola

Reaction score
Morning,

I have been doing lash extensions since May and haven't had a problem until now. I always do a patch test at least 24 hrs before to make sure the client isn't allergic to the glue or the lashes.

Anyway I did a patch test on Friday and the full set on Saturday. client has rung today to say that this morning one of her eyes is very bloodshot. I asked how the lashes felt, thinking perhaps one was too close to the eyelid, although I am careful not to let this happen. She said the lashes and her lid felt fine but that the eye was very bloodshot. I said I could take them out tonight and that she should see a Dr. I thought a bloodshot eye was due to a burst blood vessel which is something happening inside the eye.

Also although I have taken out lashes when clients come for an infill I have never taken out a full set and even when doing just a few lashes it seems to take ages to debond. I use a gel debonder and am concerned about removing them as don't want to make the eye worse. I know a Dr will say straight away that they have to come out. My client says she is quite reluctant to have them taken out as thy actual lashes/eyelid doesn't hurt. Oh she said the the bloodshot is at the bottom of her eye.

Any suggestions as to why this may have happened or is it just a coincidence? My hubby woke up one morning with a dreadfully bloodshot eye for no reason. So I know it can happen. I did read that it can be eyestrain or stress or even lack of sleep.

Help please, this is the first thing that has gone really wrong for me.

Many thanks
Lorraine x

I always get a blood shot eye after I have my lashes done. I think it's just the fumes and the fact that I cant seem to keep my eyes closed properly for the whole treatment. Mine usually goes dont after a good few day then all is fine. I dont think this is anything that you have done xx

I have bad hayfever and have allergies that affect my eyes. They are always dry and itchy and I get mild bloodshot eyes quite a lot. I don't wear eyelash extensions.

Hiya, I had this very same thing happen to me 2 weeks ago, I was doing a full set and was using my fastlash glue, the client kept blinking and was tearing a little bit, the next day she said she had a bloodshot eye but that she had no pain and lashes felt absolutely fine. I put it down to the fact that the glue was too strong for her, made a note on her file and wont use that glue on her again. The lashes stayed on and I havent heard anymore as she went on hols. It may just be the glue was a bit strong for her but logically getting bloodshot eyes after having your eyes treated for 1 hour plus must be reasonably common. Hope it all sorts itself out.

Claudia x

Hi,

I'm not sure what would have caused this and think it might be coincidence, but if you decide to remove the full set it's not too bad, but does take a bit of patience!
I do express lashes (as well as semi permanent) and the full set has to be removed within 2 weeks. I use the gel debonder.

I cut a cotton wool pad in half, wet it and place half under each eye. I have clients sitting up to minimize the risk of anything getting in the eye.

I use a cotton bud with gel remover and just kind of "roll" it over the lashes (always in a downward motion - away from the lid).

I repeat on the other eye with fresh remover/cotton bud and find that when I go back to the first eye, most of the lashes as starting to loosen. It's just a case of being patient and letting the debonder work.

Hope it works out OK.

Thank you all for your replies. Client is so lovely and she said she is so pleased with them that she really doesn't want to have them taken off. She text earlier to say that a chap in her office had the same problem with bloodshot eye and his Dr said there was a lot of it going around :eek: I haven't heard from her yet so shall just have to wait and see what she wants done.

how long did the bloodshot eye last for was it on both or just the one(i am no doctor but )it sounds like it is chemical pink eye to me.
using a fumey glue this is very common.
after all our poor little eyes should not be having strong glue near it really, its just not normal, but what can we do now we are lash addicts

how long did the bloodshot eye last for was it on both or just the one(i am no doctor but )it sounds like it is chemical pink eye to me.
using a fumey glue this is very common.
after all our poor little eyes should not be having strong glue near it really, its just not normal, but what can we do now we are lash addicts

It started this morning and its just one eye. I haven't heard any more from her but she is coming back tomorrow to have a manicure so I can have a look then.

Hi there. I have been getting my lashed dne for about 2 yrs now. Iv always had reddening and bloodshot at the bottom of both my eyes. This will happen about 5 ish hrs after my actual appt and last for about 4 days. I have always still carried on getting my lashes done and to this day have found no long term problems. My technician has told me it is pink eye. This is caused by the glue fumes getting into your eye from blinking or not having eyes properly closed throughout the hr plus it takes for you application. Anyway hope this helps xxx

Hi there. I have been getting my lashed dne for about 2 yrs now. Iv always had reddening and bloodshot at the bottom of both my eyes. This will happen about 5 ish hrs after my actual appt and last for about 4 days. I have always still carried on getting my lashes done and to this day have found no long term problems. My technician has told me it is pink eye. This is caused by the glue fumes getting into your eye from blinking or not having eyes properly closed throughout the hr plus it takes for you application. Anyway hope this helps xxx

As this thread was created 6 years ago, let's hope the original poster no longer has bloodshot eyes :)

Ha ha ha... Yeh let's hope not. I hope it can help other users of salongeek though with simular problems or questions...

If the eyelid isn't swollen itself but the lower part of the eye is bloodshot and irritated, it might have been a reaction to the pads. I have had clients that react to the pads and not the lashes. Especially when they are applied close to eye. The gel/callogen can swell into the eye and cause irritation this way x

Latest posts

Back