Eyelash extensions... how hard is it really?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaLaLayla

Reaction score
OK, so I am considering adding eyelash extensions to my repertoire to get me through the slow tanning days at the beginning of the week. I thought I'd do a course then practice on one of those foam head things whilst listening to the tv in the evenings. I thought I'd pick it up quite quickly.

However, a friend of mine did the course and strongly recommended not doing it. She said that out of 6 girls on her course, only one ended up doing it professionally afterwards.

The reasons she gave were that it is difficult and boring, and takes months and months before you get good enough to start charging people.

I would be really interested to hear what my fellow geeks think.

Thank you :)

I will agree it takes a long time before you will be good enough to charge full price. I would say it took a year to get regular clients and my first year of sets are no where near as good as my sets are now. I cringe looking back.

However it is a great thing to do if you stick with it. Yes it takes a while but the achievement aspect is a nice feeling.

So I would say it is not a quick fix if business is slow but you will reap the rewards in time with lots of practice and patient friends (models)

Thanks eyespy, that's really helpful. Would you say that anyone can pick it up if they practice long enough? And do you find it boring? Also can I ask you if you practiced on one of those foam head things? I live overseas so don't have many friends! Also, are the lashes expensive? I am trying to imagine how many sets I will go through before I get good enough!

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks.

You have to have a steady hand (which I think goes without saying...but I will say it anyway) but I dont see why anyone couldnt pick it up.

The problem with using the foam head things is it doesnt take into account the actual things which slow you down and or will frustrate you. For instance different eyes, older eyes, short lashes, lots of lashes, light lashes, people that figeted or those whose eyes water a lot. These things will only be gained by experiencing different people.

Lashes can be bought online for decent prices but glues are more expensive for a decent, reliable result.

I cant tell you how long it would take before you are able to charge for full sets as it really depends on the person. YOu never know you might be a complete whizz and have it mastered in a matter of weeks or months (everyones different)

I dont see it is boring in the slightest and infact at no point in my life does 2 hours pass so quickly!!!

That's really fab advice, thank you :)

You are welcome :)

I trained and by the end of the training was ready to through the whole kit out the window, but and it's a big but! I didn't and as soon as I started practicing at home I loved it such satisfaction and not boring at all as said before never does two hrs go so fast!xx
🌸

Why did you feel like that, BR? Did you find it difficult?

At first yes really difficult the precision concentration and accuracy but I often find I get told I over think things and make them harder than they are and once I relaxed at home in my own environment doing them, from the first set I found it so much easier!
🌸

The difficulty of this fabulous skill will depend greatly on your training.

Pick a good training course, not just a cheap one, which is highly recommended and you will have a very good chance of mastering this tricky, difficult, yet very rewarding skill :D

I trained 4 weeks ago I've done 3 sets on friends now but I'm finding it difficult I won't be able to charge for along time yet! But I'm going to stick with it x

I think it depends on the person,experience in other things and training, I found it really easy to start with although it took me a while to get down to 1 hour per set. I know loads of therapists who have trained and given up as they didn't have the patience for it.

Realistically, you need to do approx 50 sets of lashes over a 3 month period in order to build up your confidence, skill and speed.

Do NOT expect to do a course and charge full prices straight away. You will not get return business from that.

Charge a lower rate for your first 3 months, and once you are getting a decent number of lashes on the eyes, then charge full prices.

I train lash extensions and the majority of my business is eyelash clients. You can have a successful business but only if you work at it. Doing 1 set per month will not increase your speeds or your cnfidence. Only regular practice can do that.

I've did one to one training which I think is a definite MUST. I also trained on a model not another trainee which I also think is key.

I found it incredibly hard at first but also really rewarding, even when I started out, the WOW the client/model/friend says when they look in the mirror is so worth the effort!

I'm been doing them now for about six months and now have regulars and am improving set by set. I love the challenge of each set being different as everyone's lashes and eyes are different, and think of it sometimes like a jigsaw puzzle, really rewarding when you finish!

I discount my prices by 50% at the moment until I can get enough regulars to start increasing and, and I think its a great offer, also give a free infill (for as long as the full set most times) at two weeks, that way I get to really fill them up to a full set.

So far every client has returned for more paid infills after.

Love doing lashes, could actually do them full time all day if I could get enough clients!!!

You have to have patience and you also really need attention to detail, perfection each time is what I strive for and I'm hoping one day to get there!

Give it a go but make sure you pick the right course or you will just be wasting your time!

I've did one to one training which I think is a definite MUST. I also trained on a model not another trainee which I also think is key.

I found it incredibly hard at first but also really rewarding, even when I started out, the WOW the client/model/friend says when they look in the mirror is so worth the effort!

I'm been doing them now for about six months and now have regulars and am improving set by set. I love the challenge of each set being different as everyone's lashes and eyes are different, and think of it sometimes like a jigsaw puzzle, really rewarding when you finish!

I discount my prices by 50% at the moment until I can get enough regulars to start increasing and, and I think its a great offer, also give a free infill (for as long as the full set most times) at two weeks, that way I get to really fill them up to a full set.

So far every client has returned for more paid infills after.

Love doing lashes, could actually do them full time all day if I could get enough clients!!!

You have to have patience and you also really need attention to detail, perfection each time is what I strive for and I'm hoping one day to get there!

Give it a go but make sure you pick the right course or you will just be wasting your time!

Hi I just saw that you are in Ibiza...do you work from home or are you salon based. We live just accross the mainland in Moraira, but my husband works there for 5 months over the summer so we travel backwards and forwards. Could I ask you what lashes you use and wether its expensive to have them posted...I am thinking of training with nouvau lash or flirties.
Tinaxxx

I have a treatment room in my house and I also provide a home personal service, ie mobile!

I trained in Flirties lashes and Xaggerate but just about to try Myscara too.

I think the training with Flirties is excellent, have no complaints and still get great advice from my tutor more than a year on. Was going with Nouveau originally but decided against it as there were too many people in the class, its such a tricky thing to pick up that I think one to one is the most important thing, which is why I switched at the last minute.

Having said that I want to do an advanced course with Lash by Francesca, who is really amazing and really is the top of the field. If I had lived nearer I would have done my full training there, but chose not to because I would havd had to travel to it, and thus increasing the cost. Check her out, she's the best - in my opinion anyway!! If you live in Spain then you will have to travel anyway so I'd defo say Francesca first and then Flirties.

Do you come over to Ibiza too?

S x

OK, so I am considering adding eyelash extensions to my repertoire to get me through the slow tanning days at the beginning of the week. I thought I'd do a course then practice on one of those foam head things whilst listening to the tv in the evenings. I thought I'd pick it up quite quickly.

However, a friend of mine did the course and strongly recommended not doing it. She said that out of 6 girls on her course, only one ended up doing it professionally afterwards.

The reasons she gave were that it is difficult and boring, and takes months and months before you get good enough to start charging people.

I would be really interested to hear what my fellow geeks think.

Thank you :)

I think lashes are really difficult to do, I've been trained nearing on a year now & practised quite a lot & I'm still rubbish.

I'm re taking my original course next month (I rang for some advice & they offered me back for free) I've been told to ask the trainer for a bit of 1-2-1 so she can see me actually applying the lashes & she can see were or if I'm going wrong.

Quite looking forward to going back, to be fair when i did the course I thought it'd be really easy to pick up & sadly I was wrong... very wrong lol x

The only company that offer training out here are Lash Perfect and it is 1,200 quid! Is that a lot? It seems it to me. Although it does include a kit including everything you need, apparently.

Where are you that does sound a lot as I said before I trained with lash perfect and for there basic starter package including kit and training it was £360 but that was at the excel show but still!xx
🌸

I suppose everything is more expensive in Dubai, perhaps if you have to visit the UK you could twin your trip with a course. I did this, although I did only have to travel from Spain.

There are so many many courses in the UK to choose from.

Good luck

Latest posts

Back