Eyelash extensions patch test?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melissaf95

Reaction score
How do people patch test for individual lash extensions?
I did cover this in my training but want to know what others do.

Pop a blob of the glue you use behind the client's ear, just like any other product patch test
H x

Semi permanent lashes I was trained to put one lash on one eye and a little primer/removed too

Pop a blob of the glue you use behind the client's ear, just like any other product patch test
H x
Great, that's what I was taught too but didn't know if that was enough x

By rights as the adhesive is not suppose to touch the skin when performing the treatment really there is no point in blob of glue behind the ear as you might get a false reaction. Attaching couple of lashes to outer lash line and swipe the lash with any primers, sealants or removers you may use is a better way of patch testing.

By rights as the adhesive is not suppose to touch the skin when performing the treatment really there is no point in blob of glue behind the ear as you might get a false reaction. Attaching couple of lashes to outer lash line and swipe the lash with any primers, sealants or removers you may use is a better way of patch testing.
I am debating Wether to do this but as I am mobile and only work weekends and evenings I feel like it would take up a lot of my time if they were to then cancel the appointment. Would you recommend taking a booking fee?

With the training I did I was told that you don't HAVE to do the patch test as nothing touches the skin. If I wanted to do one then a blob behind the ear would suffice as if there is a reaction it would be with the skin.

H x

It all comes down to what your insurance wants. If you don't patch test then 99.9% of insurers won't cover you for a claim (which is dangerous). So my advice would be check with your beauty insurer

I do charge a booking fee when doing patch tests and knock it off first set of lashes and I'm mobile as well but can't risk my clients health or insurance [emoji2]

It all comes down to what your insurance wants. If you don't patch test then 99.9% of insurers won't cover you for a claim (which is dangerous). So my advice would be check with your beauty insurer
I have spoken to my insurer and they have said I have to follow manufacturers instructions, but I can't find any on the Internet

I do charge a booking fee when doing patch tests and knock it off first set of lashes and I'm mobile as well but can't risk my clients health or insurance [emoji2]
Yes I know, I wouldn't risk it either, but I didn't know if a blob of glue was good enough

Is there anyway you can contact the person who trained you?

With courses I have done, the trainer has given us their email address for any questions we may have in the future?

H x

A blob of adhesive behind the ear is not sufficient for a patch test, it's recommended to apply one or two lashes to the outer corner so they blend and not too long.

What insurance companies are best to use? Do you have to go with the company your trainer recommended? Help I'm new lol x

What insurance companies are best to use? Do you have to go with the company your trainer recommended? Help I'm new lol x
No you don't need to go with one they recommended. I'd say just look around and just see which one is best for you. I'm with salon gold x

Lash perfect don't patch test as glue shouldn't touch skin. My insurer is salon gold and they say to follow manufactures guide lines xx

Ok I'll try and explain y the manufacturer does not write in the bottle!! Due to the fumes on the glue if this was allowed by the beauty regulator as a beauty product it would not be passed.. As the product should not touch the skin there is no reason to patch test! However u should inform the client that they might react at different time I know people in the 3rd refill they reacted and had to have them removed!! It's a bit like hey-fever some people are more prone then others!! Can I says its day that I had a client who was allergic to the micro tape??!!

The fumes is exactly why you need to test on the eyelashes IMO. You shouldn't ever get the glue on the skin, however the membranes on the eyes and inside of the nose are much more sensitive than your skin, and it's those you're testing for a reaction to. A reaction in the eyes or membrane of the nose (as the client would inhale the fumes during treatment) could be much more serious than a reaction on the skin - and putting a blob of glue behind the ear won't necessarily test anything at all.
I'm a trained tech myself, and I do get people who won't come 48 hours in advance for a patch test, and I always tell them that I won't treat them without. I've had three clients come to me over the last 6 months who have gone to other beauticians and not had a patch test and ended up with a reaction (including one to lash perfect's express lashes) and even needed antibiotics due to damage and inflammation to their eyes. I just don't feel it's worth the risk to not test!

I patch test applying a few lashes to corners as this what I was taught- confuses me when people say glue shouldn't touch skin as even if lashes are applied correctly this can not be avoided when the client blinks or closes their eyes the glue will come into contact with skin regardless.

Latest posts

Back