Eyelash extensions - possible reaction? Advice please...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tamii

Reaction score
Hi guys so I did a regular client (4th set of lashes) infills on Wednesday morning. I use flirties extra strength glue and flirties primer and sealant etc like I always have with this client. She called salon this morning saying she thinks she has had a reaction to the lashes - says her eyelids are slightly swollen and red and she wants me to remove them.
Her eyes are quite sensitive, the first time I did her lashes and she opened her eyes they really stung and watered but she has been fine the last few times I have left her eyes closed a few minutes to ensure the glue is completely dry.
She has had lashes 3 times and had 2 patch tests for the glue and never had a reaction so it seems strange that she would suddenly have an allergic reaction to them? I'm just worried if I remove them tomorrow it's just going to irritate her eyes even more and possibly make it worse.
She is coming in tomorrow to let me look at them but says she really wants them removed.
Not sure what to do for the best what do you guys think?
Thanks, tamii x

I have found that eye infections also can look like allergic reactions. Would she be willing to see an eye doctor before she removes the lashes? Wouldn't it be nice if a few eye drops solved the problem?

On the other hand, I have seen clients become allergic to the Cyanoacrylate after using them for a long period of time. Lots of those glues have very strong fumes. (Check out my blog on Cyanoacrylate glues if you like.)

You can also remove them with her sitting up, and avoid the remover getting into her eyes as it will sting a lot, and cause more trauma and swelling.
Best of luck!

Hi guys so I did a regular client (4th set of lashes) infills on Wednesday morning. I use flirties extra strength glue and flirties primer and sealant etc like I always have with this client. She called salon this morning saying she thinks she has had a reaction to the lashes - says her eyelids are slightly swollen and red and she wants me to remove them.
Her eyes are quite sensitive, the first time I did her lashes and she opened her eyes they really stung and watered but she has been fine the last few times I have left her eyes closed a few minutes to ensure the glue is completely dry.
She has had lashes 3 times and had 2 patch tests for the glue and never had a reaction so it seems strange that she would suddenly have an allergic reaction to them? I'm just worried if I remove them tomorrow it's just going to irritate her eyes even more and possibly make it worse.
She is coming in tomorrow to let me look at them but says she really wants them removed.
Not sure what to do for the best what do you guys think?
Thanks, tamii x

Ive had the exact same thing happen to one client. Had them for 5/6 months then no reason had a reaction, swollen eyes, puffy. Its always best to get them to take an anti histamine if possible and get the lashes off asap. My sister is also allergic to the glue of lash extensions- she had the same thing happen after 2 infills, not with myself with another salon, her eyes were very swollen (looked like she had done ten rounds with tyson). The company and trainer i trained with were no help at all!

It is possible to suddenly have a reaction against a product that you have been using for a while.

You need to remove the lashes to stop any further reaction. Use a gel remover as opposed to a liquid as this will sit on the lashes and make removal 10 times easier and more pleasant for the client.

After a month or two, go back and patch test, as it is also possible for your body to 'forget' its allergy and she may be able to have the lashes on again. Remember to patch test by applying one or two lashes and not applying the glue to the skin. Also test the primer and sealant in case one or both of those are causing the reaction and not the glue.

Oh, is she pregnant, on HRT (hormone medication), started taking any new medication or changed any medication?

x

I've had a client of 2 years suddenly become allergic to the glue I discovered after narrowing it down, I now use a different glue and she is totally fine again x

Unfortunately anyone can develop a reaction at any time, but it could also be that she is just a little more sensitive due to stress or hormones etc.
Another thing to consider is the gel pads, a lot of people react to them as well. It would be best to have the lashes removed ASAP and then if she decides she wants to try again you could patch test her again with everything, including the pads and take it from there xx

It is possible to suddenly have a reaction against a product that you have been using for a while.

You need to remove the lashes to stop any further reaction. Use a gel remover as opposed to a liquid as this will sit on the lashes and make removal 10 times easier and more pleasant for the client.

After a month or two, go back and patch test, as it is also possible for your body to 'forget' its allergy and she may be able to have the lashes on again. Remember to patch test by applying one or two lashes and not applying the glue to the skin. Also test the primer and sealant in case one or both of those are causing the reaction and not the glue.

Oh, is she pregnant, on HRT (hormone medication), started taking any new medication or changed any medication?

x

Hi. How would u patch test the primer and sealant pls at the same time of a patch test ?? Xx

Latest posts

Back