Eyelash Extensions - Practice Ideas...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Jenny~

Reaction score
Hi Geeks!

I need your help....

Do any of you have any ideas or hints and tips as to how to practice applying lashes on a non living model?!?!?

I know its a strange request!

Should I buy a practice head, apply some natural looking strip lashes and then practice applying eyelash extensions?!? would that work?!?!?

My diary is pretty full with clients for other treatments so fitting in models to practice on in between my clients and my children is getting tough! I want to feel a bit more confident before introducing lashes....but waiting to practice on real models is proving to be a long drawn out process!

I was thinking of practicing using the above mentioned idea (or any other ideas are welcome!) then do an introductory offer to get people to try them whilst i'm still new to it all.

xx

I'd be interested to hear what people would recommend on this one too. I tried to do the same as you have suggested (practice on strip lashes) but the lashes were so unbelievably difficult to isolate (they were in clumps of about 4 lashes!) that I ended up giving up.

Hi I know this is probably not the the answer you want to hear but you really do need to practice on people as practising on strip lashes will not help you much, when practising on people you will gain experience on the isolating different types of natural lashes as isolating strip lashes is nothing like isolating fine natural lashes. You also need plenty of practice on placing pads or tape, these are things you will need to be able to do before doing paying clients. Even if you set aside time to practice on 1 person a week it will help you improve your technique and speed,hth and am sure in time with plenty of practice you will become a skilled lash stylist.:lol:

Last edited:
yep I agree with the above....you wont gain enough experience by working on a dummy head as nobody has lashes that perfect, you need to work on all different lashes to get good....but i also know how hard it is working around having a child, not enough hours in the day

good luck

im in the same boat as you. I was thinking of offering it at a lower price for a while but have saw threads saying it will be hard to higher my price after. I havent really got the money to be buying lashes and glue to not charge something.

Hi Geeks!

I need your help....

Do any of you have any ideas or hints and tips as to how to practice applying lashes on a non living model?!?!?

Should I buy a practice head, apply some natural looking strip lashes and then practice applying eyelash extensions?!? would that work?!?!?

My diary is pretty full with clients for other treatments so fitting in models to practice on in between my clients and my children is getting tough! I want to feel a bit more confident before introducing lashes....but waiting to practice on real models is proving to be a long drawn out process!

I was thinking of practicing using the above mentioned idea (or any other ideas are welcome!) then do an introductory offer to get people to try them whilst i'm still new to it all.

xx

Why book them in as models?book them in as clients... I have just done a lash course and I've started booking people in charge them half price tell them it's an offer to get busy and up your speed! Tell them it's on untill a certain date... Takes me about an hour an half now I only trained on the 18 th April.
You know what to do it's just putting it into practice, cover your time and your products!
Plus you might get a few people hooked that wouldn't have paid full price without trying them! Then they will keep up with them afterwards :)
All helps!
I'm chocka with nails and I have a child but I work as much as I can as I know it's worth it eventually!
Good luck to you! Xx hope this helps xX

Do you not have a mother in law, nan, sister, friend you can practice on? And just charge the price of the product? I tried on the false lashes but people themselves are so much harder and diverse than the false lashes. For example, some lashes are tiny, pale and thin and extremely tricky and you are really going to have to get the hang of these lashes to get a good result in a set time.

Hi there,

I just completed my EE course about a week ago.....I don't have a mannequin head, but have been practicing with a round makeup sponge cut in half. I'll tape the cut sponges to a regular sized plain white sheet of paper, draw a nose and mouth if you like...makes it a little more interesting! To practice my application I'll glue individual lash extensions on the curved side of the sponge...I usually use .10mm x 8mm...then I'll practice my technique by placing a longer thicker extension on the smaller one.

I found it really helps with your technique as I was being a little heavy handed with the glue and I was getting LOTS of stickies and clumping.

It doesn't really help with isolation, however...and this may sound like a no-brainer...but it took me an application or two to figure out. I'm right-handed and was trained to isolate with my left hand and apply the extension with my right...however that felt EXTREMELY awkward to me as I was having real difficulty isolating a single lash.

I switched and tried isolating with my right hand and applying the lash with my left and it feels completely natural now!

The nice thing with practicing on the sponges is that they are cheap, easy to use, convenient and you can apply your 'practice' lashes in any length or design...also you can practice removing separating lashes, the banana peel technique without worrying about poking a client in the eye or ripping out a lash.

It's not a substitute for a real person, but it is an excellent method for practicing your technique and placement.

Hope this helps and good luck!!

If you really are stuck, stick lashes to a potato. I have tried vegetation, polystyrene heads, humans everything possible to get practice x

Best thing i did was to offer 2hrs of work for £20 when i first started. I was managing to apply etc, but speed was incredibly slow. I just put it on my website that i had a special offer (also listed my normal prices) as I needed to improve my speed and i got lots of people, once i got to 30 lpe in 2hrs i advertised a natural set for £20, which eventually i got down to about 75mins, then I went up to full price. Best thing i did. I could only work evenings as kids were around during the day, but i was working most evenings on lashes.
Important point is obviously not to worry too much about speed, that will come naturally. Concentrate on making sure the lashes are applied properly so that they last, that is what will keep clients coming back, not how quickly you can apply them.
Good luck xxx

Oh another thing i did if i didn't have anyone in for an evening was to sit with a piece of paper with little lines on it and apply lashes to the lines (use very light lashes if slower glue or they just fall over) this meant that every day i was doing something. Or if you have kids get them on the bed and practice isolating the lashes :)
Another trick was to apply strip lashes to baby annabel (a doll) and practice. It is best to do lashes little and often, and something every day to build your confidence xx

If you really are stuck, stick lashes to a potato. I have tried vegetation, polystyrene heads, humans everything possible to get practice x

Made me giggle thinking of Mrs Potato Head..

Very very hard to practice on strip lashes and on training head. I now it's hard to fit in but you do really need to practice on people! Agree with threads above, offer it as introductory offer and then go from there. If you offer it as a 'trial' or 'model' service it is thenhard to put your prices back up, easier to do it as an introductory offer xx

Heehee mrs potatohead lol

Hi Geeks!

I need your help....

xx

When I did my training they told me to turn a small bowl upside down and practice on this with strip lashes, but I found I got really good applying them to false ones and when it came to the real ones it was really different so best to just practice on clients! ;)

The other thing is that the lashes don't adhere well to synthetic lashes, they're actually easier to get onto real hair. You neeeeeed a model!

Latest posts

Back