Eyelash perming - disaster!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Do-it-all Deb

Reaction score
Has anyone out there trained in eyelash perming? I bought the kit at a show last year, but eventually decided that although it looks easy, I would be more comfortable doing some official training before letting myself loose on joe public! Anyhow, I am going away next week and thought it would be great if I went to a local salon and had it done. The owner did me, she said she and another therapist were trained to do it but only she liked doing it, not the other girl.

One hour later, DISASTER! She used the smallest rods but my lashes are a reasonable length and now they just curl around almost in on themselves. I can actually 'see' them myself without looking in a mirror. They now look really weird and one eye is curled differently to the other. She even managed to curl some of my lower lashes as well!

They feel brittle and I cannot bear the thought of having to wait until they grow out to look normal again! Any help gratefully received...................:cry:

oh i am sorry but it does sound a bit comical, the fact you can see em without looking in a mirror! (sorry) but other than putting a rich eyecream on to condition em, you could try wetting em a lot , coz that can drop perms out (of head hair) sorry cant be more help let us know if any of these work or at least help , love dee

Oh no !! what a bummer !! that's awful. I've read somewhere that Vaseline is good for helping eyelashes grow stronger, so maybe you could try putting some on every night before you go to bed....worth a try.....or can you not curl them back the right way with an ordinary eyelash curler?

Good Luck

What kit did you buy??

Capital do training for amrose and sallys do training for salon systems. I did my training with salon systems at sallys but bought the amrose kit as it doesn't take quite so long and the results are great.

Hope this helps.

Sammie

Do-it-all Deb said:
Has anyone out there trained in eyelash perming? I bought the kit at a show last year, but eventually decided that although it looks easy, I would be more comfortable doing some official training before letting myself loose on joe public! Anyhow, I am going away next week and thought it would be great if I went to a local salon and had it done. The owner did me, she said she and another therapist were trained to do it but only she liked doing it, not the other girl.

One hour later, DISASTER! She used the smallest rods but my lashes are a reasonable length and now they just curl around almost in on themselves. I can actually 'see' them myself without looking in a mirror. They now look really weird and one eye is curled differently to the other. She even managed to curl some of my lower lashes as well!

They feel brittle and I cannot bear the thought of having to wait until they grow out to look normal again! Any help gratefully received...................:cry:

Hiya,

I am a trained eyelash permer lol......basically if you have quite long eyelashes then they should have used a larger perming rod.............same as hair, the smaller the rod the smaller the curl...............i dont think vasaline would make the eyelashes grow stronger! it may condition them, but basically nothing you eat, drink ot take can make a difference to how hair grows (i might be wrong with that statement) but i was lead to believe, if you were born with thin hair then you will allways have thin hair, same for nails...........they will drop in a few days...go back to the salon and ask them to re apply some collogan...........they should have done that in the first place...............hope i have helped a little
Amanda

Lily said:
i dont think vasaline would make the eyelashes grow stronger! it may condition them, but basically nothing you eat, drink ot take can make a difference to how hair grows
Whoops!! I said vaseline might help them cos that was what my Gran always told me.... she said she used to rub vaseline on her eyelashes and eyebrows when she was a girl,especially if she'd overplucked her brows and wanted them to grow back quicker!!! Obviously one of those old wives tales that don't mean anything,like don't cut your toenails on a Sunday!!! LOL !!!!!

Thanks all of you for your replies

I didn't want to return to the salon because its a bit too local to me and she doesn't know I'm a therapist. She thinks she's good and I don't want to be the one to complain and bring her down! It won't do me any favours even though I'd love to!

I bought the Amirose kit and have found that Aston and Fincher do train although they haven't a course until Sept/Oct. I rang Amirose direct and the owner recommended Brentwood acadamy in Essex for training. Might give them a call.

Anyway, he recommended that as I had the kit, I could try some self help, which was carefully putting on some perm lotion, leaving for 2/3 mins whilst brushing out with a clean mascara brush and then neutralising.

Tried this and guess what it worked :D . My lashes have lost their kink; even managed to straighten some of the lower lashes that she had curled! I finished off with vaseline which actually is like applying a deep conditioner to the lashes and helps reduce the brittleness. So although vaseline doesn't make them grow, there is some truth in the old wives tale so to speak!

I am so pleased that I can now live with the result and am looking forward to training and doing a proper job on my clients!

Oh Debbie! That was the best laugh I've had for a while. I am just glad that I'm giggling after everything has been resolved. Just in time for the w/end!

Lily said:
Hiya,

I am a trained eyelash permer lol......basically if you have quite long eyelashes then they should have used a larger perming rod.............same as hair, the smaller the rod the smaller the curl...............i dont think vasaline would make the eyelashes grow stronger! it may condition them, but basically nothing you eat, drink ot take can make a difference to how hair grows (i might be wrong with that statement) but i was lead to believe, if you were born with thin hair then you will allways have thin hair, same for nails...........they will drop in a few days...go back to the salon and ask them to re apply some collogan...........they should have done that in the first place...............hope i have helped a little
Amanda

Well, i don't know much about eyelash perming, and i bow to your superior knowledge on that, but i can tell you that what you eat most certainly DOES affect how your skin hair and nails grow!
I explain it to my clients that your body is like a building that is always being worked on - if you don't give your "builders" the right materials then the house will be of poor quality. If you give them the best materials, then even if your "builders" are not very good, then the results will be better. Some herbal supplements and natural therapies can improve the functioning of your body, and enable your body to improve it's "building abilities" - like sending your "builders" on a course. In much the same way, poor diet, lifestyle and some medication will interfere either with your "builders" or with the materials coming in to the "site".
Hope this makes it clear :)

I had my first eyelash perm a few weeks ago by a friend training to be a beauty therapist. I have long lashes so she used the bigggest rollers. She also uses a little glue to help the lashes stay on the rollers.

The results were FANTASTIC!!!!!! We were both really surprised and very chuffed with the result - looked even better 3 days later when she dyed them black for me as well!

I'm sorry yours didn't work but don't give up hope, when done successfully it is DEFINATELY worth it!

B

yogacat said:
Well, i don't know much about eyelash perming, and i bow to your superior knowledge on that, but i can tell you that what you eat most certainly DOES affect how your skin hair and nails grow!
I explain it to my clients that your body is like a building that is always being worked on - if you don't give your "builders" the right materials then the house will be of poor quality. If you give them the best materials, then even if your "builders" are not very good, then the results will be better. Some herbal supplements and natural therapies can improve the functioning of your body, and enable your body to improve it's "building abilities" - like sending your "builders" on a course. In much the same way, poor diet, lifestyle and some medication will interfere either with your "builders" or with the materials coming in to the "site".
Hope this makes it clear :)
Hiya
I agree that if your lifestyle and diet are poor then this will affect the growth of (basically everything)....but actually for example eating raw jelly will not make your nails grow stronger (another old wives tale) you are what you are born with, but you can make then appear better by leading a healthy lifestyle etc
Amanda

Hi

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience !

You say to have a perming kit, you got from a show ? What you could try is get an old mascara wand, give it a good clean. Follow the instructions in the kit, but instead of using the rollers, use the mascara wand with the perm solution to comb your lashes straight, you'd probably need to keep combing them through until you get them how you want them.

I've never tried this myself, I should imagine it will work though. The reason I say this is because when you use a chemical straightener in hairdressing (I'm not a hairdresser, but my sister is!) It's pretty much a perm in reverse so to speak, chemically they are the same, but instead of putting curlers in, you comb the hair straight.

Just a suggestion, hope it helps.

Sassy x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back