Eyelashes advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katy Cook

Reaction score
Hi all

I completed a one day semi permanent eyelash course yesterday. My goal is to work from home during the evenings and weekends offering eyelashes, waxing, tinting, massage and spray tanning treatments. I completed a NVQ L2/3 Beauty Therapy 13 years ago but I haven't worked in the industry for 8 years. I do however keep my hand in waxing & tinting and I'm pretty confident in the other aspects of beauty.

I think I was expecting to come away from my training yesterday with the confidence to complete a full set of awesome lashes but unfortunately that is not the case. The set I did on my model were rubbish (in my opinion & hers), she is used to having dramatic and voluminous 2d lashes. My lashes were spidery and just naff, I know the best lashes are produced by 'experienced' therapists but I was hoping to at least produce a lovely set!!

We didn't get advice on the different lengths, weights, materials, lash mapping etc. I've tried researching online and quite frankly it's really confusing! I went straight to the warehouse on my way home and purchased a Salon Systems Marvel Lash kit which contains two different sets of lashes. I literally have no idea what the difference is apart from appearance on the strip. I have also bought some Lasebase glue and lip masks online. I spent all night pinning the s**t out of lash mapping and advice on Pinterest.

So basically I'm asking if anybody can give me a rough idea of what brand of lashes, sizes, weights, curl shape etc I should purchase. I'm guessing I should have a variety to create different looks? Is there any essential pieces I should include in my kit to be a successful therapist? Any tips that have been picked up along the way?

Another question is...if a customer wants a dramatic curled set but her natural eyelashes were J shape would I be able to drop a C curl on? The advice my trainer gave me was to only use a J on a straighter lash and C on a naturally curly lash.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my panicked ramble haha.

Hi all

I completed a one day semi permanent eyelash course yesterday. My goal is to work from home during the evenings and weekends offering eyelashes, waxing, tinting, massage and spray tanning treatments. I completed a NVQ L2/3 Beauty Therapy 13 years ago but I haven't worked in the industry for 8 years. I do however keep my hand in waxing & tinting and I'm pretty confident in the other aspects of beauty.

I think I was expecting to come away from my training yesterday with the confidence to complete a full set of awesome lashes but unfortunately that is not the case. The set I did on my model were rubbish (in my opinion & hers), she is used to having dramatic and voluminous 2d lashes. My lashes were spidery and just naff, I know the best lashes are produced by 'experienced' therapists but I was hoping to at least produce a lovely set!!

We didn't get advice on the different lengths, weights, materials, lash mapping etc. I've tried researching online and quite frankly it's really confusing! I went straight to the warehouse on my way home and purchased a Salon Systems Marvel Lash kit which contains two different sets of lashes. I literally have no idea what the difference is apart from appearance on the strip. I have also bought some Lasebase glue and lip masks online. I spent all night pinning the s**t out of lash mapping and advice on Pinterest.

So basically I'm asking if anybody can give me a rough idea of what brand of lashes, sizes, weights, curl shape etc I should purchase. I'm guessing I should have a variety to create different looks? Is there any essential pieces I should include in my kit to be a successful therapist? Any tips that have been picked up along the way?

Another question is...if a customer wants a dramatic curled set but her natural eyelashes were J shape would I be able to drop a C curl on? The advice my trainer gave me was to only use a J on a straighter lash and C on a naturally curly lash.

Do not expect your first set to be great my wasn’t took quite a few sets to be good!!! And I mean a lot... practise and trial and error!!

I have mainly c curl which is most popular and j for very natural or people with straight lashes. But size wise and thickness, for classics I use mainly 0.15- 0.17 mink. Mix sized tray. Depending on what look people want. Natural, long full..... and of course knowing eye shapes as one 11 on someone may look dramatic but on another look natural ! So mixed length defo check out lash mapping on google give u some nice ideas in order what to use to help! For what kind of look.
EyeLash emporium mixed tray i have at min. Mink sizes 9-16 never used 15/16 tho lol.

Primer good buy!!! Find your separation tweezers too I use fine ones like used to pick lash up rather than the separation ones I find it easier you’ll Suss that tho as time goes on.

X

Hi all

Oh and if someone’s lash is really straight lash lift/ perm is best first then apply c. Or go for a b curl which is between a c and a j. Less than c but more than j if makes sense. X

Hi hun, I would definitely firstly contact the place where you had your training. It sounds to me that they cut a few corners leaving you feeling quite nervous.

When choosing lashes B, C, CC and J are the most commonly used. Then there are thicknesses, 0.7, 0.15, 0.2 which are what sizes most people use. 0.2 is great for beginning with and 0.07 are what you can use for building up volume.

Lastly there's the lengths. Some come in mixed packs of evens (6mm, 8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 14mm) and odds (7mm, 9mm, 11mm, 13mm, 15mm). These packs are great for starting up as you have quite a good range without having to spend a lot.

Mapping out is creating your template before application. I do this my seeing what shape the clients eyes are, asking what kind of look the client wants to go for and then I draw on the eye pads as a guide (kohl pencil is great for this) what I will be doing.

There are brilliant diagrams on Instagram and Pintrest to help you and I would recommend 'following' more experienced lash artists for tips and guidance.

Lastly good luck, I'm still gaining confidence myself and as cliche as i might sounds, I'm also finding out that it does come with experience so don't fret. If you persist you'll get there :)

Thank you both! You advice is really appreciated and super helpful!!

I did another set last night and with your help I feel a bit more confident. It took me an hour & half to do 30 lashes per eye. I used 3 different sizes and got a very natural effect. Now I know that with an extra half hour/hour I can get a more voluminous look.

The info on lash sizes, curls and mapping in spot on and I'm quite excited now for my lashing future!

I can't wait to do my next set now :)

Latest posts

Back