Face massage routine

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sophiechap

Reaction score
I’m adjusting my face massage routine for facials ( going by my professional book which has the moves in) so many college teach to do each move 3 or 6 times. I was just wondering if doing each move 12 times is too much in massage? I’ve had good feedback so far but wondered is there a genuine reason for not doing more than 6 such as over stimulating or is it just down to preference? Thanks!

College routines are designed to:
- show the full range of massage techniques for assessment purposes
- to fill the specific time allocated to the massage part of the facial (standardises treatments clients receive)

Once qualified and working in the industry you will adapt your routine to suit the clients needs and your own treatment menu

It is fine to do movements more than you learnt. I tend to do 8 of everything but the overall time is the thing to watch. If you're a bit ahead then just repeat shoulder movements until the end.

I’m adjusting my face massage routine for facials ( going by my professional book which has the moves in) so many college teach to do each move 3 or 6 times. I was just wondering if doing each move 12 times is too much in massage? I’ve had good feedback so far but wondered is there a genuine reason for not doing more than 6 such as over stimulating or is it just down to preference? Thanks!

Massage your own forearm with your fingertips up and down 12 times.

Do the same again but so slowly you barely move 3 times.

Which did you enjoy more?

If not the slow and less I will eat my hat.

With cleansing and exfoliation totally fine going a little quicker to get the dirt out and more but massage should be relaxing.

Less is always more with massage.

It’s very easy to get a bit bored but if I get bored I remember that this isn’t about me, and that my focus needs to go back to the client. I tends to count how long I do each stroke rather than how many I do. It’s easier to occupy the mind while keeping it client focused and not on dinner tonight.

Thank you for your reply. Yes the 3 & slow is better but arms are bigger than say the face area if that makes sense? So even going slowly around the eyes, your going to complete 3 quicker than say 3 times down the arm so I just thought maybe do some more? X

Cannot compute

12x in a row is too stimulating.

Just because it takes 3 minutes to do three slow moves over your arm, it doesn't follow that 3 minutes of circling the eyes will feel more amazing than doing 3 slow circles in about 30/40 seconds.

Try doing a little routine of 3/4 moves and repeat the sequence, for example

Instead of going around the eye 12x try doing 3 circles around the eyes, 3 circles close to the lashes, 3 big circles under brow and under eye, then little brow lifting pinches, followed by circles or strokes over Corregator muscles and then strokes up over the forehead. Sweep down into a face brace, come up over the cheeks and forehead, slide down over the nose and then start the sequence of circles around the eyes again.

If you have a favourite signature move, do 3 in a row of your favourite move at regular intervals in your massage routine as a linking movement.

Thank you. Could I ask how long your massage usually takes or how long they shins be? X

I price my facials according to time and products. The shorter facials get a shorter massage. So minimum is 10 mins and max is 20 mins.

I sometimes do a few lymph drainage movements over a thin application of face mask and count this as part of the massage routine. This is good if the face mask needs longer than 5-7 minutes or I'm pressed for time if I've struggled to get waterproof mascara off!

I'm currently training in facials and the recommended time we hace been given is 15 minutes for the massage. I'm still far too speedy and my tutor has suggested to ensure I pause between each movement so that I don't do too many and that it is relaxing for the client.

I'm currently training in facials and the recommended time we hace been given is 15 minutes for the massage. I'm still far too speedy and my tutor has suggested to ensure I pause between each movement so that I don't do too many and that it is relaxing for the client.

Choosing slow music and being super relaxed yourself (try slow breathing) will help you deliver an amazingly relaxing facial and is therapeutic for you as well! ;)

I always do a 20min routine. Spend several minutes massaging around shoulders and neck as well as the face and go slowly and rythamatically

I’ve been using a you tube video called European facial massage routine as a refresher sorry unable to post link x

I'm sure I read, many years ago, that research showed that after 6 repetitive movements, the pleasant sensation is lost and it starts to become annoying. Six was found to be the maximum.

I agree with previous posts. If you're struggling to fill the time, slow everything down and repeat whole sections rather than doing the same thing again and again. Or repeat your favourite parts.

Vic x

Latest posts

Back