Facebook and advertising?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shell-belle

Reaction score
Hello lovelies,
So I'm really wanting to give my new business a push into the world. I advertise on Facebook and would like to put pictures, promotions etc... on, like others. Can I ask, can I use any old photo/picture you see on Google, Pinterest etc... Like a quote, banner or photo, within reason? I see so many Facebook businesses use pictures and quotes, but wouldn't know where to start! Hope this makes sense?!

Hi, yes you can, I would up load it to an app like pic collage and add text on it with your business name just so,it looks more like it's yours and your local competitors can't copy it! Lol
Facebook don't like to promote to much writing in posts, so try keep text to a minimum.

Thankyou. It's honestly such a minefield. I want to look professional, but honestly, don't know where to start. Pictures sometimes show more impact than words! xx

Legally chances are NO you can't just use any old image off of google. They'll normally be copyrighted so just be aware of the possible implications even if ever so unlikely.

Font candy is a good app for adding text over your own images xx

Legally chances are NO you can't just use any old image off of google. They'll normally be copyrighted so just be aware of the possible implications even if ever so unlikely.

You can sign up to sites for stock images though can't you?

You can sign up to sites for stock images though can't you?
Sure can :)
Like images we bought for your site, we purchase them with the correct licenses for the correct use :)

Facebook won't let you promote with a picture that shows too much skin!

Or a picture with too much text, something like less than 30% of the picture can be text - I found out when I tried to promote my price list picture.

They are getting a bit too fussy for my liking tbh. Hard enough as it is!

Yes I found this. Promoted a spray tanning post. There was nothing on show just a cropped picture of tan lines and it got stopped.

Or a picture with too much text, something like less than 30% of the picture can be text - I found out when I tried to promote my price list picture.

I read on a marketing page that FB are allowing pictures with more than 30% text but they post won't be seen as much.

I don't understand it really. If your paying to advertise you should be allowed to post what ever you like within reason.

Thankyou fellow Geeks. I see so many businesses advertising with various pictures, which don't appear to be their own, I thought I'd ask. I'd love to download a pic, add text and use it for my business, but judging by your responses, I may be setting myself up for a case?! How do others get away with this?! xx

Take a look at Canva.com, this allows you to create your own images, quotes etc. For social media and business. It's great fun to use! Some of the images are free, some you have to pay for. Good luck with your business!

Thankyou. That's really helpful xx

I've used canva. Really handy!

If you're using your page as a business page (either Facebook or a website) you CANNOT use any images from Google. You're breaking copyright and you'll very possibly be sued. Getty images (one of the largest suppliers of stock photos in the world) use software to scour the web for use of illegally sourced photos/images.

The only images you can use are;
  • Ones you've purchased and licensed (and checked the terms and conditions of the usage as this differs for each stock site),
  • Ones you've been given access to by your suppliers, again- check for appropriate use.
  • Ones you've taken yourself.
This still counts even if you're manipulating it with an app. You'd also need to check terms and conditions of what the app allows you to do too, as some of them are for personal use only (i.e. only for using on your personal page, and not for business use).

Even if you're getting a designer to do something for you, make sure they're using legally sourced images- as you'll be liable for breaking copyright on the final design- not them.

It's all heavy-handed- BUT- this is business, and it shouldn't matter if you're a one-man/woman band or a multi-national, the same rules apply.

As someone who creates graphics for a living, I can tell you it's absolutely heartbreatking when people use your images without paying you! So, not only is it illegal, it's morally wrong too ;) As I'm sure you'd agree if someone just lifted a pic of your lovely work too!

I use FB to advertise but I wouldn't pay just to advertise a general banner or any old pic from Google.
My most successful ads have been showing my own work with a clear description, price and contact details.
If you'd like to put promotions and offers on then Verve do great offers and once you have the flyer it's yours to use whenever you like. It's much more eye catching and professional and would generate more interest.
Good luck X

I use my suppliers images as I like to show precisely what I use in my treatments.
FB rejected my body wrap image though - apparently too much skin !!

You should give Instagram a go - Equally as effective as facebook imo!

Latest posts

Back