Facebook reviews, low rating trolls?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonnie@lashout

Reaction score
Hi geeks,

ive been spending some time working on my facebook page and have just gone through my reviews looking for testimonials for my website.
ive currently got 8 reviews and 6 of them are 5* but i have got 2 3* reviews with no words, just a rating from people i dont even know, so non clients and non likers of the page? i didnt even know that was possible.

anyway i live in an area which is quite saturated with salons and i really dont feel is fair that my salon has been devalued to a 4.3 when all of my other reviews are 5 apart from these random people.

i decided to send them an email to ask them why, i just wanted to hear your thoughts and if you think i should do it? i dont want to be done for bribing or anything like that?

heres what im going to send:
Hi there, I just wondered if i know you at all?
I currently own a company called B***************y, and i noticed that you reviewed it over a year ago now as 3 star.
As far as i remember you have not been a client of mine before although i could be wrong, if you would allow me to understand why you gave my company such low rating this would help me improve my business in the future.
As you can imagine, being a self employed business owner it is hard to contend with main stream salons so really i strive to offer a personal and individual service to my private clients and Facebook is a fantastic tool to allow me to reach these people.
Currently i have 8 reviews and 6 of them are from previous or currently clients rating my services 5 star and recommending me to a friend via word of mouth.
I look forward to hearing your response as to why you feel my beauty service deserves this rating, alternatively if you do not know myself or my services i would appreciate it being removed.
Thank You
Bonnie-Leigh.

I understand your concern however firstly I'd say that as it was such a long time ago and you've only just picked up on it, I'd let it go and actually focus on driving up your client base and asking current clients to add a review. For example, you could ask people to add a review and then do a monthly draw to offer one person a voucher.

Realistically, if someone has take the time to leave a negative review then it's probably unlikely they'll change or remove it

If you feel strongly about contacting them, I'd reword your email. IMHO it's far too wordy and (understandably) quite defensive. Instead you might want to say, 'you've previously reviewed my salon and I'm keen to understand your experience. Please would you contact me to arrange either a second treatment or a telephone call so that I can ensure that everyone enjoys a 5* experience'.

It's worth remembering that it could be a rival (or friend of) who has purposefully left a poor review.... Unfortunately in that case there's not a lot you can do, just focus on giving all clients a memorable experience :)

I have one on mine, this person is abroad and random so I Just put a comment under it saying I had not treated this person, not sure why had rated but they were not local either...

i have known about the review since it happened, but i wasnt aware that the rating was public i thought it was just for me. they didnt leave a review as such just clicked the box, no comments, nothing.

thank you for your advice and comments though it was helpful

I've accidentally hit 1* on a business page before. Hadn't ever used the company and wouldn't do now as they posted quite a bitchy comment about it. I apologised and said it was a mistake just so other users could see I wasn't slating them but I wouldn't give them my money after that. Be careful is what I'm saying.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

yeah i appreciate that, i wouldnt message her publicly, and also i dont feel my message is rude or bitchy im just saying that it can have a negative effect on my page which is true. this person has no intensions of having a treatment from me as they are not a liker of my page nor has she ever contacted me about having one. she has left 93 reviews all 1-3* ratings of our local and non local area.
i feel this person is just a troll.

Hi geeks,

ive been spending some time working on my facebook page and have just gone through my reviews looking for testimonials for my website.
ive currently got 8 reviews and 6 of them are 5* but i have got 2 3* reviews with no words, just a rating from people i dont even know, so non clients and non likers of the page? i didnt even know that was possible.

anyway i live in an area which is quite saturated with salons and i really dont feel is fair that my salon has been devalued to a 4.3 when all of my other reviews are 5 apart from these random people.

i decided to send them an email to ask them why, i just wanted to hear your thoughts and if you think i should do it? i dont want to be done for bribing or anything like that?

heres what im going to send:
Hi there, I just wondered if i know you at all?
I currently own a company called B***************y, and i noticed that you reviewed it over a year ago now as 3 star.
As far as i remember you have not been a client of mine before although i could be wrong, if you would allow me to understand why you gave my company such low rating this would help me improve my business in the future.
As you can imagine, being a self employed business owner it is hard to contend with main stream salons so really i strive to offer a personal and individual service to my private clients and Facebook is a fantastic tool to allow me to reach these people.
Currently i have 8 reviews and 6 of them are from previous or currently clients rating my services 5 star and recommending me to a friend via word of mouth.
I look forward to hearing your response as to why you feel my beauty service deserves this rating, alternatively if you do not know myself or my services i would appreciate it being removed.
Thank You
Bonnie-Leigh.

I would not write all of that ... especially the last line!!

Send a private message thanking her for her review and apologise that you do not recognize her name. You would however really appreciate it if she could let you know why her visit was worth only one star and what did she think you could do to make it a five star.

That's it.

she hasnt visited me.

she hasnt visited me.

Bonnie I know she hasn't visited you.

But you have to word it carefully. Thanking her for your review even though it was a one rating and you don't know who she is, is designed to hopefully get her to remove it with an apology ... it may well have been a mistake on her part.

Writing all that other stuff and almost demanding her to remove it is going to seriously ruffle her perhaps innocent feathers.

Be smart. Be polite. Achieve your mission.

Or completely ignore me lol, I won't be offended. :hug:

I'm sorry Bonnie but I'd be fuming if I received an email like that. It's accusatory and comes across abrupt. It would make me want to ignore you and not respond at all. But that's just my opinion.

Hi there, I'm new to the app Salon Geek but hi!
I had some 1 star ratings posted on my page from people that aren't even in the country!! Never mind my town! I sent the rating as a complaint to face book (by clicking on the rating and following the report selection). I did do this twice and both were removed.... Maybe try this first???

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

She may not of rated you at all.
Facebook has a lovely habit of randomly having people rate people 1 star without them even knowing.

I'm sure I remember reading once that a geek accidentally left a one star rating in someone's page but had been unable to remove it.

Good luck

Vic x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

My husbands business had a low star review on his page from someone that he didn't know. Hubbie left a comment saying this person may have reviewed the wrong business as he had not carried out works for him. Unfortunately the star rating cannot be removed..annoying!

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

Sometimes it's just accidental which is annoying as can't be removed

Sent from my SM-N9005 using SalonGeek mobile app

oh but its so hard to just let it go, (let it gooo) isnt it, i had a 3* rating funnily enough from a girl who id answered on here (nicely), shes based 50 miles from me (obviously im too close to her?) & even though it was several months ago occasionally i want to 'return the favour' :evil:

I also have a 1* from a girl who works in the chip shop.. sometimes i want to review her chips as mealy! Anyway ive vented now so should be good for a few more months.

I agree with getting your recent clients to leave reviews as it will pull your average up & around 30 5* with 2 lows stills counts you as 5* overal thanks to facebooks weird counting

I don't think bonnies message is harsh.. its straight to the point and direct, I personally like that style as a business owner and a customer

If that doesn't work then put a reply below her rating to state she has not been a customer and not a true review

If you use tripadvisor the on the ball hotels and restaurants use this direct no nonsense method and as a customer I quite like seeing how they respond to negativity

I actually had this happen to me and im not even on facebook! The troll was a competitions salon. All i will do is delete the business page and set up a new one. You cant please everyone but i wouldn't retaliate it just makes you look petty. sometimes the messages can be perceived worse! the one star ratings can be unshown by removing the map location. hths xoxo

I also received a 1* review from a profile under the name of "Ann Summers" which isn't even a legit profile. I looked and another local tanning salon near me also received a 1* review. I have just emailed facebook to try and get this review removed. Will let you know what response I get lol.

I have received a 1* rating from a Asian man in Dubai, no 1 I don't do treatments for men and number 2 I'm in UK but I commented asking if it was a mistake as I have never done a treatment. He never replied of course, I have let fb know several times but they have never removed it so unfortunately I am stuck. There's a thing where people troll pages and leave 1* ratings on random pages but unfortunately you can't stop that. I have lots of 1* ratings on my other business page with no comment and then I have 25 5* ratings with comments but I don't think it's stopped people from buying from me as I'm sure people can tell it's not genuine as it doesn't have any comment. Any ways at least that's what I hope.

Latest posts

Back