Facebook slander hair extensions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hannah Davison

Reaction score
PLEASE HElP!

So what happened is I have a long standing loyal client and come to be friend. When she was in on 31st December. she had fallen out with her friend and was telling me about it, whilst another client was sat waiting. We was all sat listening and giving her advice, and she was going to talk to said friend later that night to sort it out. So I did the girl that was waiting’s tapes inbetween 1st client having her colour on. 2nd client was happy with the tapes and service and left. When she left though, she’s contacted Client 1 friend and told her everything that was said In the salon. To which I then got stick, as I was In the middle. From this happening I was deciding what to do about the situation, as I don’t want people feeling uncomfortable to talk in my salon because other clients run and tell the person- wasn’t fair on Client 1 and ruined her friendship too. Whilst umming and ahhing about how to approach the situation, liens 2 had messaged me a few times about a refit and having new hair in and a colour. as I was about to reply that i didn’t feel comfortable having her as a client anymore, I got Facebook messages off her mum. I went on to explain the situation to her mum, and got barrels of abuse. I tried o reply with reason, but it wasn’t working so I blocked her to cut off the situation.

This was about two weeks ago. Today I came back to the hotel to find she had more or less pulled them out, but blames me for the bald patches saying it was me and my fitting technique. If that was so it would have shown within days/weeks, not two months after fitting. She’s stating on this status that I have also over charged her- when I hadn’t as she had 2 packs of the special colours in, and that she has only had them in a month. On this status there was a few beautyworks fitters stating that it was indeed my fault.

I can’t see the status now as I have come off Facebook and deactivated the page as I was getting abuse from every form of social media and made my Instagram private. A few stylists that do have my back, have read over the comments to find she has said a professional used tape remover before they all ripped out. Now me and you both know when tape remover is used correctly there is no reason why any hair should come away from the scalp and I have never had this before, I had all my tape clients jump to my defence, but with her being a 17 year old girl, all her friends are rather bitchy and abusive. Tried to defend myself but I’m just getting over ridden. I’m so upset and in such a state of shock from this I’m at a loss as what to do.

This whole situation had made me fall out with hairdressing big time as protecting yourself doesn’t work. Any help or advice would be welcome with open arms.

TIA

Surely this is deformation of character... it’s also definitely harassment, I would tell her that you will be calling authorities if it continues anymore. And if it continues inform the police of harassment. If the girl want to blame you for the state of the hair extensions and it isn’t your fault I would suggest she contacts your insurance company or if she’s taking it further to contact who’s acting for her and follow formal proceedings or she should shut up rather than making slanderous comments on social media. Perhaps call your insurance company and see if they can give you any advice.

Surely this is deformation of character... it’s also definitely harassment, I would tell her that you will be calling authorities if it continues anymore. And if it continues inform the police of harassment. If the girl want to blame you for the state of the hair extensions and it isn’t your fault I would suggest she contacts your insurance company or if she’s taking it further to contact who’s acting for her and follow formal proceedings or she should shut up rather than making slanderous comments on social media. Perhaps call your insurance company and see if they can give you any advice.

Thank you for your reply. If it comes to there being solicitors involved I Have a lot of evidence against her claims with the support of my other clients, stylists and my beautyworks supplier behind me. I was this morning doubting myself hence me putting g up this post, it’s been extremely distressing

I can imagine, see what your insurance company say too, they may be able to advise you xx

PLEASE HElP!
Whilst umming and ahhing about how to approach the situation, liens 2 had messaged me a few times about a refit and having new hair in and a colour. as I was about to reply that i didn’t feel comfortable having her as a client anymore, I got Facebook messages off her mum. I went on to explain the situation to her mum, and got barrels of abuse. I tried o reply with reason, but it wasn’t working so I blocked her to cut off the situation.
I had all my tape clients jump to my defence, but with her being a 17 year old girl, all her friends are rather bitchy and abusive. Tried to defend myself but I’m just getting over ridden. I’m so upset and in such a state of shock from this I’m at a loss as what to do.
This whole situation had made me fall out with hairdressing big time as protecting yourself doesn’t work. Any help or advice would be welcome with open arms.
TIA

You need to stay professional at all times when working. Be the business not a friend. Don’t blur the line.
You can be the friend when you meet in the pub or out for a coffee.

1. When a client chooses to bitch about someone else in your salon, always respond neutrally and don’t add fuel to their drama.
Practice using phrases like “that sounds a difficult situation”, “sorry to hear you’re having problems”, and try to steer the conversation to more neutral topics.
Why do you think hairdressers ask about future holiday plans? ;)

2. GOLDEN RULE: Don’t ever enter into any arguments on social media. Just repeat a stock reply such as
“I’m sorry to hear that you are not completely satisfied. Please visit me in the salon to discuss this further.”
If they reply with another argument, simply state,
please refer to my original reply, thank you.”
Copy and paste this without entering into any discussion online. If you don’t rise to the bait, they will have to give up.

3. When the mum got involved, you should have replied
“due to client confidentiality, I am unable to enter into any discussion with you”.

Remember, you are bound by Data Protection laws so you mustn’t discuss the client with a third party, including their mum, assuming the client is an adult.

Social media should be used just for advertising, not airing dirty linen.

I wouldn't take it personally as she sounds like a spoiled little twat & in reality who cares about what a 17 year old princess has to say! Maybe I'm wrong here but I have been in the industry 22 years now & have seen it all! I would call her a spoiled little gossiping twat right on social media openly for all to see! Truth be told 1 stupid little girl will not hurt your rep as it sounds like you have the backing of many a satisfied customer that pay you with their hard earned money not mommy & daddy's money!

If she keeps bothering you, do a public write up explaining the situation briefly stressing how she destroyed a friendship for no reason other than being a gossiping pot stirring eavesdropping little twat that has no clue about life & how it works & that if her behavior is like this in her adult years she will find herself with no friends & or surrounded by shallow self serving people that talk behind her back just like they do everybody elses! Sounds like a lonely existence for her future when she finally decides to grow up it will be too late. Then publically post her name & or pic if you have it & announce you are no longer offering her your services due to the slanderous abuse you have received from her & issue a community warning publicly on social media sites warning other salons/stylists of her erratic behavior & her tendency to cause unnecessary drama for anyone that takes her on as a client!......wouldn't it be nice if you could put the word out & get her flagged as a no go client in the community?! I swear us stylists should be more joined to our community peers to have this kind of power! Don't sweat it.....she will get hers someday!

You need to stay professional at all times when working. Be the business not a friend. Don’t blur the line.
You can be the friend when you meet in the pub or out for a coffee.

1. When a client chooses to bitch about someone else in your salon, always respond neutrally and don’t add fuel to their drama.
Practice using phrases like “that sounds a difficult situation”, “sorry to hear you’re having problems”, and try to steer the conversation to more neutral topics.
Why do you think hairdressers ask about future holiday plans? ;)

2. GOLDEN RULE: Don’t ever enter into any arguments on social media. Just repeat a stock reply such as
“I’m sorry to hear that you are not completely satisfied. Please visit me in the salon to discuss this further.”
If they reply with another argument, simply state,
please refer to my original reply, thank you.”
Copy and paste this without entering into any discussion online. If you don’t rise to the bait, they will have to give up.

3. When the mum got involved, you should have replied
“due to client confidentiality, I am unable to enter into any discussion with you”.

Remember, you are bound by Data Protection laws so you mustn’t discuss the client with a third party, including their mum, assuming the client is an adult.

Social media should be used just for advertising, not airing dirty linen.
Great advice x

Latest posts

Back