Facebook, the new ebay?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mizzy_dizzy

Reaction score
I know this happens everywhere but lately i have seen soo many products for sale on face book ,
some used , and others new ,there seems to be new facebook "shops" selling cheap nail wraps , glitter , tips , more worryingly generic gel polishes , gels , uv lights , monomers and polymers and other products every day ,

Is facebook turning into the new ebay ?

would you buy nail products from there ?

I'd never buy any nail products from Facebook and the only stuff I'd consider eBay wise is glitters etc.

I think Facebook is being drowned by people selling stuff, not just nail related either. People in my area are literally selling everything they own on there. Today someone was selling a used toilet seat for a tenner.

Honestly!!

I joined a group on FB something like for pro's only selling second hand stuff on (like the guild classifieds) I could not believe how awful the quality of the nail stuff was - proper rubbish on there, stuff you just wouldn't be interested in. I left thinking it can only be non-pro's on there?? I can't comment on the non nail stuff maybe the beauty products were better but I somehow doubt it.

I'm not sure why people would buy anything 'professional' there or ebay (a much-discussed topic) due to the risks but at the very least with ebay you get a lot of buyer protection in my experience. Why bypass that to FB?

I have only seen this one example though, maybe other pages/groups are better?

I'd never buy any nail products from Facebook and the only stuff I'd consider eBay wise is glitters etc.

I think Facebook is being drowned by people selling stuff, not just nail related either. People in my area are literally selling everything they own on there. Today someone was selling a used toilet seat for a tenner.

Honestly!!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Honestly!!

Totally agree about Facebook selling sites! I sometimes advertise my tanning on there & often look down at some of the posts.

someone was selling 3 single pampers nappies for 75p last week !!! :eek: I know times are hard an all that but you just wouldn't would you?! I know i wouldnt humiliate myself anyway lol x

There is a facebook group that sells things for my area. Sometimes people advertise their services too. It's like a school playground, people bickering about price etc and abusing each other.

It obviously works for some and I can see why, as it is local, so no delivery charges and similarly no listing charges for the sellers. But no, I havn't used it and can't see myself using it in the near future.

I know this happens everywhere but lately i have seen soo many products for sale on face book ,
some used , and others new ,there seems to be new facebook "shops" selling cheap nail wraps , glitter , tips , more worryingly generic gel polishes , gels , uv lights , monomers and polymers and other products every day ,

I'd possibly buy from someone I knew & trusted but wouldn't buy from a stranger as you can't be too sure what you're getting.

Having said that, even if it is someone you know, or at least think you do, you could still get stung & find things go missing in the post or they aren't what you thought they were going to be.

For peace of mind, I think everyone is best off going to the authorised distributors :)

You can buy proffessional nail products off gemma lambert if you're a member of the nail team on facebook. Only seller id trust on fb really, other non nail items off fb are ok as long as you see before you buy imo x

Sent from my GT-I5500 using SalonGeek

I agree about the bitch fests on Facebook - sometimes people forget they are supposedly grown ups!

As for things not turning up in the post etc via Facebook sales and such like, this is where people need to be vigilant and ensure that the person sending gets proof of postage or a signed for delivery. Too many people out there trying to make others look bad with sniping posts about being conned or stolen from without having any proof whatsoever.

As with any internet based site/forum/selling pages/buying pages, you have to be vigilent, ensure things are signed for and documented and be careful who you trust with your information otherwise it gets to pathetic levels with people sending vile messages and such which, at times, borders on bullying on some sites.

eBay, Facebook or wherever you choose to purchase generic consumables always has it's risks and always has it's downsides.

Ive seen some one selling a pack of gems which I have seen on ebay for £2 for £6!! They sell a lot of nail things which they have clearly bought off ebay and put the price up! x

My sister buys and sells a lot of baby clothes and equipment on there. I think this is a separate group though so not all over your feeds unless you have joined that page.
With regards to getting conned, well yes there are some con merchants out there but luckily they are few and far between and my sister has never had a problem herself.
If you do get conned then you should report it really.

There was a girl on the nail group a few months ago sold the same Gelish and stuff to several different people, didn't actually have any Gelish to sell but pocketed herself about £600! she was reported to the group admins, Paypal and the banks of the people she had done it to and was investigated fully etc

That being said, there are always people who will say they have done something when they haven't or will jump to conclusions and give someone an undeserved bad reputation so it is just about being careful.

You can choose wether to receive notifications from most groups on Fb also I believe - I am a member of all of the local groups to me but any adverts I put up i request inbox only as I have notifications turned off otherwise you get hundreds per day of people selling sofas and tables haha

You can choose wether to receive notifications from most groups on Fb also I believe - I am a member of all of the local groups to me but any adverts I put up i request inbox only as I have notifications turned off otherwise you get hundreds per day of people selling sofas and tables haha

I do this on my local buy/sell page, and lo and behold I wind up with about 10 comments on whatever I post there: "where are you located?" "how much do you charge for this?" etc. Like, can you not read? Or follow instructions? Lol

There are the Free and give away sites as well.

In saw two women argueing over a pack of those disposable dusting cloths. You also get the untrained nail techs on there too.

Latest posts

Back