facial massage

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christinarena

Reaction score
I was taught a basic massage for my facials at college and have used that since. I find the most relaxing part is the pressure points but it does not incorporate many of them. can anyone recommend a type of massage I can find out more information on please or better still a bit of guidance? thanks in anticipation x

I use different techniques for different skin types, I have just picked these up over time from having treatments/other therapists teaching/adapting moves/inventing my own moves using my knowlege of the skin e.g drainage movements, toning movements.

You could try your local library, they can order you a book in if they don't have one-try a large book shop/the internet for titles, there will definately be one on anti-aging massage. x :)

P.s I'm sure you will find a willing participant to let you try out your new moves and tell you what feels nice

thanks I will, just looked at your profile and realised we are similar with regards to doing a bsc psychology degree then going into beauty! do you feel you wasted your time at uni? just curious x

Cool! Well yes, sometimes I think about that and wonder if I didn't need to do a degree (spent a lot of money studying) but I also feel that people take me more seriously because I have a degree (sad but true, I'm not saying it makes me a better therapist), on the other hand it also put off prospective employers.

Doing the degree however and then working after in a office made me reach the decision to become a beauty therapist. I found it dull, dull, dull doing what I felt was expected of me career wise. When I finally told people what I wanted to do they were so encouraging which I didn't really expect. Now they can see I have flexability in a job I love. I am never stressed or down about "schedules" and I can take days off when I choose, every client visit is a fun relaxing experience for me and the client.

Some of the skills I learnt at uni have come in handy in starting up my business too. I suppose at the end of the day I think life experiences good and bad shape us for the future.

Does this mean you are thinking you shouldn't have gone?

Hiya hun
I've just started doing Sweedish and Indian Head massages which are incorporated in by Beauty Therapy L3.

What I have do so far (past couple of months) is just to add some of what I've learn on my beauty course. Nothing major as I havent qualified as yet. The pressure points as you said are great, and also a bit more drainage.

Getting a book out of your local library is a great idea. If you can get yourself on a massage course sometime in the future I'm sure that would be an added bonus too!

Sounds all good to me!

I love doing beauty and found psych a bit dry, when i get my student loan bills in i wish i had not bothered but as you say people do take you more seriously ( esp as i live in a very affluent area, small minded i know) sorry if any typos i have a two year old hanging off my arms! have you thouht about doing any psychotherapy alongside the beauty, i have recently. just for phobias, quitting smoking and anger management, that sort of thing?

I know what you mean about it being dry! also not being able to have my own opinion got to me, plus the stats. side and the rigid dissertation structure (guess I'm not meant to be a scientist!).

That sounds good- the psychotherapy, what extra training did you do for that? This is very interesting that you do both. Cute that your little one wants to be a geek! :)

I know what you mean about it being dry! also not being able to have my own opinion got to me, plus the stats. side and the rigid dissertation structure (guess I'm not meant to be a scientist!).

That sounds good- the psychotherapy, what extra training did you do for that? This is very interesting that you do both. Cute that your little one wants to be a geek! :)

Sorry hun I just meant that I have been thinking of doing it, after my degree I looked into doing it and you dont need any extra qualifications to be a psychotherapist if you work for yourself, shame you live so far away from me that could have been a great venture!! Just found this

(There is no single regulatory body responsible for overseeing the work of psychotherapists in private practice; however, many practitioners are members of a voluntary regulatory body such as:

the United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP)
the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP)
the British Psychoanalytic Council (BCP)
the British Association of Psychotherapists (BAP).)

Sorry hun I just meant that I have been thinking of doing it, after my degree I looked into doing it and you dont need any extra qualifications to be a psychotherapist if you work for yourself, shame you live so far away from me that could have been a great venture!! Just found this

(There is no single regulatory body responsible for overseeing the work of psychotherapists in private practice; however, many practitioners are members of a voluntary regulatory body such as:

the United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP)
the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP)
the British Psychoanalytic Council (BCP)
the British Association of Psychotherapists (BAP).)

Oh I see!

That scares me a little that there is not one main regulatory body!!!! Anyone could have a go and do a lot of damage!

It would have been cool if I did live near you! I reckon it would have been a good selling point for our skills-a different angle from other salons/therapists!

yes thats what i thought, You do have to have a degree in psychology tho and i think with the knowledge of treatments from my degree it is a good start. it would take a lot of reading and evan a counselling course before you couls treat people. I think you have to have a bit of savvy to do the degree so hopefully you wouldnt do too much damage!!

True, I think the hard part would be all the psychotherapy you have to go through. I have heard a lot of people say they studied psychology as they wanted to find out more about themselves or because they are slightly nutty-this scares me!! I knew a psychotherapist who was completely insecure and ga ga I'm not sure how she slipped through the net!!

P.S Back to to the original thread, this book may help:
Willen Books

or this

Willen Books

I have heard that too, that most are a bit nutty. many people have therapists in the states and I believe that people will here too soon, if you make it affordable then I believe you will be busy. most of the time people just want someone to talk to who is not close to home. Maybe not, it is just a thought at the moment.

P.S Back to to the original thread, this book may help:
Willen Books

or this

Willen Books[/quote]

Thanks, Yes, Sorry!

Don't be sorry x that got me thinking x :hug:

Latest posts

Back