Facial skin pores

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDs

Curly Hair Geek
Reaction score
What would cause facial pores around the cheeks, nose, and forehead area to enlarge?
I am talking enlarging from not seen with the naked eye to being able to see them with the naked eye.

does anyone not know?

Enlarged pores are normally associated with oily skin. I'll do a little research for you, I just didn't want no-one to reply to your post.:hug:

Thanks both of you. The first link was better than the second one Babs. But it doesn't really explain What can be done about them to reduce the size aside from washing your face.

Is there any special treatment that can be helpful?

Thanks both of you. The first link was better than the second one Babs. But it doesn't really explain What can be done about them to reduce the size aside from washing your face.

Is there any special treatment that can be helpful?
There are specific treatments that help reduce the appearence of open/enlarged pores.

Iontopheresis,galvanic facials are electrical treatments carried out in a salon will help.It alters the skins pH levels and de clogs the pores.Its far more effective than home help but needs to be carried out over a course of time.

You would need to have your skin assessed to see what your specific skin type is and what course of action is required by a qualified therapist.

Different skin types need different products(obvioulsly) to help combat open/enlarged pores.Products containing Retinol serum are excellent for all skin types with open pores though.

The crucial thing is once you have your salon treatment to make sure you exfoliate regularly(not too much though,as this will create an adverse effect)I would suggest twice a week)Make sure that you always tone your skin after cleansing to remove any creams left on the skin.This prevents an oily residue building up which then causes the problem of open pores.

Clinique do a pore minimiser as I'm sure a lot of other brands do but in all honesty these work more on the basis of illusion rather than cure.

Being honest here once the pores have been stretched its near on impossible to get them back to how they were but improvements can definately be made and prevention of further enlarged pores is better than cure.HTH

does anyone not know?
You need to follow a really good skincare routine, using oil control products. To minimise the follicles (I would've been :Grope: at college for saying pores)
they need to be kept clear of oil/debris.

I think it is possible that your moisturiser is to rich for your skin. It can be very hard to find the balance between oil control & anti aging. Personally I prefer to use a serum or jojoba oil with essential oils under my oil control moisturiser.

I have always found professional AHA treatments to be benefitial, but a really good skincare routine with the right products is essential.

Great info to both of you. Thank you.

You need to follow a really good skincare routine, using oil control products. To minimise the follicles (I would've been :Grope: at college for saying pores)
they need to be kept clear of oil/debris.

I think it is possible that your moisturiser is to rich for your skin. It can be very hard to find the balance between oil control & anti aging. Personally I prefer to use a serum or jojoba oil with essential oils under my oil control moisturiser.

I have always found professional AHA treatments to be benefitial, but a really good skincare routine with the right products is essential.

I cant think for the life of me why you would have been slapped for calling them "pores", because that is exactly what they are. Open follicles is the terminology used after waxing.

All the reference books,beauty mags,skin care ranges,not to mention the end less websites I have visited over the years have all called them open/enlarged pores.How strange:confused: .

I cant think for the life of me why you would have been slapped for calling them "pores", because that is exactly what they are. Open follicles is the terminology used after waxing.

All the reference books,beauty mags,skin care ranges,not to mention the end less websites I have visited over the years have all called them open/enlarged pores.How strange:confused: .
I don't know if it's an Australian thing or just my teacher. What she always said was that pores were for sweat, sebaceous glands are attached to the hair follicle.
It's actually something I have a hard time with everyone saying pores, because for me that's sweat pores.

I don't know if it's an Australian thing or just my teacher. What she always said was that pores were for sweat, sebaceous glands are attached to the hair follicle.
It's actually something I have a hard time with everyone saying pores, because for me that's sweat pores.
It is these "sweat pores" as you call them that show up as being enlarged though, that is why they are referred to as being enlarged/open pores.

You dont hear people calling them enlarged follicles or open follicles when referring to their open/enlarged pores on their face nor do any of the facial brands use this terminology.

Guess that's what you are happy with though,just wondered,thanks for enlightening me on your views.:hug:

I agree with what the other girls are saying. But have you changed your diet at all and are you drinking lots of water daily to hydrate your skin and flush out toxins? Just a thought, sometimes it can be something quite simple that gets overlooked. And look at the skin care range that is being used, sometimes if a skin care range has been used for a long period of time it may be possible that you need to re-evaluate it and maybe change to something else. Good Luck x

Thank you Louise. I started a new skin care line and after reading about over mositurzing , I am cutting way back on the moisturizers to see if there is a difference. I will admit, I do not drink enough water, never have. Liquids yes..water..ick! LOL. Mybad yes. Nothing is size has changed. I will update if it changes.

Thank you all again. The information is much appreciated.

I have found this really interesting.

I have majorly open pores and am quite happy to go for facials - which of the following would be best to try:

Dermalogica, Environ, Guinot, Crystal Clear

These are all available to me locally.

I have found this really interesting.

I have majorly open pores and am quite happy to go for facials - which of the following would be best to try:

Dermalogica, Environ, Guinot, Crystal Clear

These are all available to me locally.
These are all good ranges so I would say they would have something suitable for your skin type.I would go into your nearest salon and have a chat with the therapist about your concerns,she can then guide you hopefully book you in for a facial not to mention advise you on products to use at home.HTH

Latest posts

Back