SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melodymoo

Reaction score
Hello!

I am a complete newbie, I’m very passionate about skincare and have decided I’d like to train in it.

I’d like to offer basic facials, steam, extractions etc and then go onto dermaplane, microdermabrasion, chemical peels etc.

My question is, which I’m really struggling with... what would be the best way to train?

I have found VTCT courses - this one in particular - https://www.thebeautyacademy.org/pr...ct-level-3-certificate-in-electrical-facials/ but I am worried that this training wouldnt be sufficient enough for me to be able to train and get insured for advanced courses. I do not want to take shortcuts, I want to train correctly and get the best knowledge I can. HOWEVER, I don’t want to (unless I absolutely must) want to do a NVQ in beauty therapy... purely because, the facial aspect and the A&P is the only thing I’m interested in doing... I have spoke to some insurance companies who have advised they will not insure me to do things such as dermaplane, chemical peels etc in the future with just those VTCT qualifications as they aren’t sufficient enough apparently...

Would I be able to do those 2 VTCT courses and also a Level 3 VTCT A&P course and then be qualified enough? I only want a recognised qualification as I may be moving to America in a few years time...

I am based in Gloucestershire but happy to travel for the right course.

Any help and advice would be appreciated! Thank you xx

Last edited:
If you’re looking to move to America you may wish to discuss with the state you’re moving to as many require a state licence regardless of having UK qualification meaning you’ll need to retrain regardless.

If you’re looking to move to America you may wish to discuss with the state you’re moving to as many require a state licence regardless of having UK qualification meaning you’ll need to retrain regardless.

Thank you, Matthew. I will check ☺️ Have a good weekend.

Hello!

I am a complete newbie, I’m very passionate about skincare and have decided I’d like to train in it.

I’d like to offer basic facials, steam, extractions etc and then go onto dermaplane, microdermabrasion, chemical peels etc.

My question is, which I’m really struggling with... what would be the best way to train?

I have found VTCT courses - this one in particular - VTCT Level 2 Award In Facials (500/8884/1) & VTCT Level 3 Certificate In Electrical Facials (500/8961/4) | The Beauty Academy but I am worried that this training wouldnt be sufficient enough for me to be able to train and get insured for advanced courses. I do not want to take shortcuts, I want to train correctly and get the best knowledge I can. HOWEVER, I don’t want to (unless I absolutely must) want to do a NVQ in beauty therapy... purely because, the facial aspect and the A&P is the only thing I’m interested in doing... I have spoke to some insurance companies who have advised they will not insure me to do things such as dermaplane, chemical peels etc in the future with just those VTCT qualifications as they aren’t sufficient enough apparently...

Would I be able to do those 2 VTCT courses and also a Level 3 VTCT A&P course and then be qualified enough? I only want a recognised qualification as I may be moving to America in a few years time...

I am based in Gloucestershire but happy to travel for the right course.

Any help and advice would be appreciated! Thank you xx

As someone who has done the move from Esthetician license in CA, USA to the UK.... I would honestly not bother training until you move there. I had a real struggle originally when moving here and from my experience (don't know what state you may be moving to as it varies quite a bit from state to state) you may have to retrain to gain an Esthetician license and to offer advanced treatments you may need to look at medical Esthetician programs which falls under the medical realm.

If you are desperate to train now I personally would seek out an internationally recognized qualification like CIDESCO as that may be acknowledge in the USA.... they still may need you to sit for the state board practical and written exam. If you go the CIDESCO route, maybe email the licensing body (in CA it was the Board of Cosmetology) and ask if they would accept a CIDESCO qualification.

If plans change and you stay in the UK, my insurer has said a level 3 in electrical facials is the minimum pre-requisite to get insured for advanced treatments ( for advanced treatments you still would need to gain appropriate certificates and in-person training).

P.S. It's always easier figuring out the licensing body as there is only 1 in every state. Very cut and dry as it's not a self-regulated industry like here in the UK which makes it a lot easier to navigate, and the pathways narrower. The only downfall is that each state has their own laws and regulations for that industry. For example a classmate at the time had moved from the state of Georgia where she has an Esthetics license and was working for 4+ years, but for one reason or another California board of cosmeotology wouldn't accept her license from Georgia so she has to retrain all over again! This is 600 hours mind you.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back