Facial waxing, yes or no?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ch-ela

Reaction score
I have searched but not found the answer to my question.

I have a few clients that come to me for facial waxing. I have noticed that their skin has calmed down a lot since their initial appointments (I use hot wax, but the salon they visited before used strip) and they have noticed that they have less hair growth and can go longer between appointments.

I have a potential new client that has a lot of facial hair but it is very fine downy hair and it is really long. She has, to my knowledge, never had any kind of hair removal on her face. Do you think that if she did start waxing, that it would encourage the hair to grow thicker? I mean, I know what it says in the text books but I would like to hear about personal opinions or experiences. Much as I would like to have her as a client, I don't want her to embark on a journey that leaves her in a worse position than she already is. It is very noticeable.

Thanks x

hey! in my experience, with a client who is also a family member, i have waxed her chin and lip many many times and the hairs always return exactly the same, no thicker or stronger. my client is 73, so unsure if this is age related or a typical trait. hope this helps x

I have never waxed or done any sort of hair removal done to my face. And when I took the course I allowed myself to be a model to see how it all feels. I have fine downy hair as well. But in spots it does get long - especially my 'whiskers'. But I have never noticed the hair growing back any different since waxing. It's the same. But I do sugaring also and I do sugar my own face. And i notice that the sugar can get out all the peachy fuzz hairs where with waxing whoever (myself included) was unable to remove all of them.

The problem with downy hair being removed is that it grows back sticking out and not flat to the face which can be a problem for someone who hated it begin with. Ild weight up the pro's and cons.

In answer to your question, for most clients the hair doesn't grow back darker or thicker but for a few it has. I would weight up the pro's and cons.

Sorry but I can't correct typo's for some reason.

I only have find Soft hairs on my lip and chin but since training in beauty I've had them waxed a few times for practice. It grows back exactly the same never any coarser.

I have never waxed or done any sort of hair removal done to my face. And when I took the course I allowed myself to be a model to see how it all feels. I have fine downy hair as well. But in spots it does get long - especially my 'whiskers'. But I have never noticed the hair growing back any different since waxing. It's the same. But I do sugaring also and I do sugar my own face. And i notice that the sugar can get out all the peachy fuzz hairs where with waxing whoever (myself included) was unable to remove all of them.

Is it hand sugaring that you do Blair, or strip sugaring? And do you do your own?

hey! in my experience, with a client who is also a family member, i have waxed her chin and lip many many times and the hairs always return exactly the same, no thicker or stronger. my client is 73, so unsure if this is age related or a typical trait. hope this helps x

Gemma, this client is only in her early 40's, so she would have a long waxing journey ahead if she chose that route.

The problem with downy hair being removed is that it grows back sticking out and not flat to the face which can be a problem for someone who hated it begin with. Ild weight up the pro's and cons.

In answer to your question, for most clients the hair doesn't grow back darker or thicker but for a few it has. I would weight up the pro's and cons.

Thanks Kim, I hadn't thought about the hair sticking out. That makes sense. I shall have a chat with her and see what she thinks.

I've found there doesn't seem to be a hard and fast rule for regrowth. For some the growth lessens, some it grows back the same and some it grows back coarser and thicker. Sorry not much help it really just seems to be luck!

Is it hand sugaring that you do Blair, or strip sugaring? And do you do your own?
I actually do both. But I do sugaring on myself because I love the results more than with strip waxing.

I have to agree with pure tho. Everybody is different and it would be a risk she'll have to take. Menopause and stress are also huge factors with women and facial hair changes. My mother barely has any hair anywhere - legs, upper lip, brows - and she went through a traumatic flood a few years ago and her upper lip hair has come in dark. Or at least that what we blame!

Latest posts

Back