Facial

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlotte80

Reaction score
Hello Geeks. I'm new to the forum but wonder if you can help.

My friend went for a facial a few weeks ago. She hadn't been to the salon for a couple of years. No consultation took place whatsoever and the treatment was completed. No consultation took place whatsoever and no client record was signed. Unfortunately this lady suffered a terrible reaction - swollen eyes and face - doctors and a hospital appointment were required.

Should a consultation/client record have been signed? Hopefully the salon have insurance. Any advice gratefully received. We always do a consultation/get a client record signed at every appointment.

Thanks Geeks X

In this case even if there was a consultation or signed consent, that wouldn't stop an insurance claim going through because of the severity of the reaction, but since these steps were not taken the salon may also face a claim for negligence. Very messy business, it'll be down to the client whether anything happens. Your friend may decide to take the usual settlement (£500 I believe) or if it was a more serious case then it'll be a proper court case. Best for your friend to talk to a solicitor really.

Hello Geeks. I'm new to the forum but wonder if you can help.

My friend went for a facial a few weeks ago. She hadn't been to the salon for a couple of years. No consultation took place whatsoever and the treatment was completed. No consultation took place whatsoever and no client record was signed. Unfortunately this lady suffered a terrible reaction - swollen eyes and face - doctors and a hospital appointment were required.

Should a consultation/client record have been signed? Hopefully the salon have insurance. Any advice gratefully received. We always do a consultation/get a client record signed at every appointment.

Thanks Geeks X
A consultation should have taken place, which should have included any previous reactions to products - I always review my consultation cards every 3 months to check nothing has changed or if they are having a treatment with me that i have not performed on them before. aswell as reading through the client card before they arrive.

Thank you. That is what I have told her. The salon are trying to say she had a reaction to the product and as far as they are concerned it has nothing to do with them. My friend has pictures of her face and the reaction was really quiet nasty.

Like I said absolutely no consultation/questionnaire/questions about health!

Very messy indeed. My friend is super smart and will get it sorted.

Your friend doesn't seem to know what caused the allergic reaction?

If she doesn't know what she is allergic to how would a consultation have made any difference?

I have allergies. No one applies anything without me checking the ingredients because they're serious. At a consultation I would say "I am allergic to x,y z" and if they then exposed me I would be miffed, extremely ill & consider legal action.

But if I had the consultation and knew of no impediment then how could I hold a practitioner accountable for a bodily reaction I didn't even know existed until I was exposed & they couldn't possibly have known of?

Absolutely Willow. I agree. Very messy indeed.

She last had a facial there a few years ago but the product they used has since changed but she wasn't told so she was obviously allergic to a new ingredient perhaps.

Thanks for your replies.

Your friend doesn't seem to know what caused the allergic reaction?

If she doesn't know what she is allergic to how would a consultation have made any difference?

I have allergies. No one applies anything without me checking the ingredients because they're serious. At a consultation I would say "I am allergic to x,y z" and if they then exposed me I would be miffed, extremely ill & consider legal action.

But if I had the consultation and knew of no impediment then how could I hold a practitioner accountable for a bodily reaction I didn't even know existed until I was exposed & they couldn't possibly have known of?

Oh you'd be surprised. The problem with some of the really cheap insurers is that they pay out no questions asked. Also in a case like this the prosecuting solicitor can argue that the therapist should have stopped as soon as she/he noticed a reaction, to twist it around into a negligence case. If they think they can get a large amount then they will try, with no thought whatsoever to what they are doing to the innocent party. And what bugs me more than anything is that even if a client signs a card saying they've received aftercare advice they can just outright lie and pretend they didn't, which then forces your insurer to seek an expert witness. Again, sometimes your insurer will offer a settlement rather than pay out for this. The irony being the dodgy therapists who don't have insurance walk away scot free for things like this :rolleyes:

What product brand was used?? Really feel for her...not what you expect after a facial x

@Charlotte80 We actually see things differently.

I am asking how this could have been avoided if your friend does not know what she is allergic to & why you feel the salon is accountable?

Allergies don't just happen with new ingredients. Allergies can appear at any time with ingredients that have previously been fine. If your friend doesn't know what causes her body to react how could the therapist?

Rather than trying to gain financially from something beyond therapist control I would be focusing on my health. Politely requesting msds sheets for all products used, getting a referral to an allergy clinic & working out the cause so it never happens again.

What steps has your friend taken to protect herself in future?

@PamieD I agree. You're right. They do sometimes try & force a settlement/pay off dubious people. But I am talking about the ethical validity of the claim. The op & initial posts encourage the legal escalation of this situation. This is concerning to me & I am surprised fellow therapists would advocate that based on the information we have been given.

People have reactions. That's why we are trained in what to do if one happens!

Yes, the salon should have done a consultation. But it wouldn't have affected the outcome in this instance & isn't indicative of any wrong doing treatment wise.

Yes, the salon should have done a consultation. But it wouldn't have affected the outcome in this instance & isn't indicative of any wrong doing treatment wise.

How do you know that for sure? You're saying it wouldn't, well maybe it would have (change in medication, illness, recent surgery, whatever). Clients who don't have sensitive skin can suddenly get a reaction. That's why it's so silly they didn't do the consultation, and it doesn't sound like they've notified their insurer which is what they're supposed to do. They've got themselves into a messy situation that could have been avoided for the sake of a few minutes. If I were them I would offer a refund, notify the product manufacturer and give their details to the client if she wanted to as well.

Thanks girls. It really is quite messy. My friend hasn't even considered anything legal. She said she would just be happy with a refund and for the salon to show a little bit of concern for the situation. Sometimes brilliant customer service can make all the difference as we all know and can turn a difficult situation into a positive one.

It really is interesting to read your comments. A consultation should be done though I agree.

So my friend heard from the salon who did the facial. When she asked why no consultation was done, she was told it was their policy that they don't do them!!!!!!

Sorry but this is sounding a little odd now. They wouldn't be able to get insurance if they had a policy like that. Are you sure it wasn't a no refund policy?

As a spa therapist myself, quite shocked about how they said it is there policy that they do not do consultations! For all anyone knew she could of had an allergy but they never bothered asking any questions to find out?

Also even without any allergies before hand, if an allergic reaction took place because of the products then it would start reacting with the skin within a few minutes and symptoms such as redness, inflammation, heated/ sensitised area and sometimes stinging or burning would occur? Would be hard to miss a reaction especially if areas became swollen!

Would definitely take further as it is very important to consult with clients or even fill out and sign client record cards to make sure nothing like this happens

Hope this helps x

An allergic reaction wouldn't always have an immediate reaction. They can develop up to 10 days after the contact.

I think the salon are just hoping the problem will go away as they know they are in the wrong.

Would it invalidate insurance if no consultation was done - even for a facial?

Thanks for the replies girls

If they are with a pro body then your friend can try contacting them, otherwise it's up to her if she wants to take this further. If she does then she needs legal advice, because this doesn't sound like a cut and dried case. Also a consultation doesn't mean a patch test, so that's why I find that really odd they have a no consultation policy. A patch test for a facial is really going to depend on what is being used, so it's not always done.

Latest posts

Back