Facials and noisy neighbours?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louna78

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am setting up my beauty room from home and considering offering facials.
My issue is the neighbours, I live in a flat and neighbours below me are really loud. They tend to stay and chat in the ‘front garden’ and shout, argue a lot at times.
I have worked and had treatments in many salons and I am aware of the slightest noise, I have really sensitive earring.
Do u think clients will be bothered or notice it? I will put music on, etc, make the room nice.
The salon I worked last, you could hear high heels from next door, people conversations, traffic from main road, clients didn’t seem to notice.
Thanks for any any advice x

Have you checked if you need planning permission, landlord & mortgage lenders permission to work from your flat?

Yes I have my landlord’s permission and the room is ready, nothing to do to it

Yes I have my landlord’s permission and the room is ready, nothing to do to it

Thank you for your reply but have you contacted your council to see if you have to apply for planning permission?
It depends what region you are in as they all seem to have different rules but part of applying for permission is checking you have parking, access, facilities and they write to your neighbours to see if they have any objections to the public attending your flat. Hours are usually fixed too so your clients can’t be arriving late at night etc.
You might be lucky and have a council that gives you the green light but best to check or they will see your adverts and be knocking on the door!
Best to get it all official from the start.
Good luck [emoji4]

Thank you for your reply but have you contacted your council to see if you have to apply for planning permission?
It depends what region you are in as they all seem to have different rules but part of applying for permission is checking you have parking, access, facilities and they write to your neighbours to see if they have any objections to the public attending your flat. Hours are usually fixed too so your clients can’t be arriving late at night etc.
You might be lucky and have a council that gives you the green light but best to check or they will see your adverts and be knocking on the door!
Best to get it all official from the start.
Good luck [emoji4]
Hi, thanks for replying, when I asked my landlord’ s permission he told me not to notify the council, my next door neighbours also work from home.
I am only planning on doing 2 days, 3 days a week max x

Hi, thanks for replying, when I asked my landlord’ s permission he told me not to notify the council, my next door neighbours also work from home.
I am only planning on doing 2 days, 3 days a week max x
Sounds like he doesn't have permission from his mortgage provider (unless he owns it outright) and the council will fine you if the find out, not him.

Hi,
He owns it and I have asked the council just to be on the safe side.
My original question was regarding noise, if it worth offering facials when noise might occur sometimes x

I would think it’s certainly worth offering facials and see how it goes.
As you say, you can play music, keep windows and doors closed, thick curtains to dampen any sounds.

Perhaps keep it simple to start with, not spending too much, and then if it doesn’t work out you can drop them.

I think clients are more influenced by things like close private parking, easy access and individual attention.

Hope it works out [emoji4][emoji106]

Thank you for the advice, yes I think starting with a few simple treatments is the way to go.
I have easy parking, let’s just hope neighbours don’t have a domestic when I do facials lol
x

Where I used to live when I started many years ago things were very carefree. Landlords and councils in my areas weren’t fussed, they just did a yearly inspection and checks for business rates. Where Ive lived since rules are very different and lots of hoops to jump through so enjoy it while you can, after the pandemic it may change dramatically.

The neighbours were always a factor wherever I’ve lived but worse so in treatment rooms. Other clients nattering, employees moaning, aerobics classes scheduled during relaxing treatments next door. Most of the time fine, eg if they go to work in the day you won’t notice. But trying to do a facial with something going on outside is a nightmare. Last place there was a building site open 6am-6pm and I swear they just left the drill on and sat down for lunch.

Clients always said it was fine but if it was me I’d have a problem with it.

I used to joke about a lady upstairs oh she’s playing bowling again. Next door having her numerous lovers over oh she’s at it again is she hope she’s not been too bothersome with your work. Some neighbours are better than others. Music is the real problem. A bit of speaking they are usually so relaxed they don’t notice. It’s when neighbours have arguments in the evenings it gets quite embarrassing and I have many a time covered my clients ears or adjusted the headband but they never notice. I think we are more attuned to our space. Oddly I lived next to a train station and never heard trains ever unless someone was here going oooh trains.

I’m in a semi now and I could never go back to terraced and noisy neighbours but you work with what you’ve got.

I would definitely play some relaxing spa music, candles, mood lighting to really set the scene, most clients are so grateful to have some “me time”, especially after lockdown finally happens [emoji4] good luck [emoji1360]

Latest posts

Back