Facials - aromatherapy massage

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bella1234

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So am about to go mobile in a few weeks doing facials however am trained in essential oils as well.
Is there anyone on here that uses facial products and incorporates essential oil?

my idea is to do a basic facial & a luxury facial with aromatherapy and a nice shoulder neck arm massage.

TIA

Yes , I do.
I use it with my hot cloth/flannels . Usually something like chamomile/frankincense and sandalwood or simple geranium for balancing the skin . You will know your oils though I am sure. I add 2 drops of each to the water.

After the cleanse/exfoliation I perform the french facial massage or aromatherapy face ,neck chest and scalp massage routine with a blend of my choosing- the oil base is avocado/grapeseed and a touch of wheatgerm oil. Oils of your choice again.
Hand and arm massage or foot massage would give you a lovely luxury touch and this could be done whilst the face mask is on.

Invent your own based on your solid foundation of knowledge ...I have !

Omg that sounds bliss I may go incorporate this ☺️☺️
are you mobile? How do you use hot towels and is it like a hand towels?
do you have an INstagram ac?

Yes , I do.
I use it with my hot cloth/flannels . Usually something like chamomile/frankincense and sandalwood or simple geranium for balancing the skin . You will know your oils though I am sure. I add 2 drops of each to the water.

After the cleanse/exfoliation I perform the french facial massage or aromatherapy face ,neck chest and scalp massage routine with a blend of my choosing- the oil base is avocado/grapeseed and a touch of wheatgerm oil. Oils of your choice again.
Hand and arm massage or foot massage would give you a lovely luxury touch and this could be done whilst the face mask is on.

Invent your own based on your solid foundation of knowledge ...I have !

Why do you put essential oils in water? They are not water soluble, they basically float on the surface of water and their properties are lost. I take you are not an aromatherapist 🧖

Hi Bella1234,
I am a home based salon and have never offered anything like a facial as a mobile, even in the start up days of my business. However when I was training in aromatherapy I did this because I only needed my couch/towels / aromatherapy oils and carrier oils ...so little chance of my forgetting something. I did the aromatherapy diploma some 30 years ago.
For a facial there is far too much to cart around for me. The only services I provide mobile to my more older clients are manicures/pedicures and facial waxing. ( well that was before covid 19 struck. )

Facial method:-

1-Double cleanse/tone.
2-Hot water with essential oils added. Plus 2 thin flannels. Squeeze one out and lay on one side of the face. So that it's not smothering the nose entirely-just vertically half of it. If the flannels are a good size you may get them to lie right down to the collar bone which is better. The vapour and gentle release of the essential oils aroma is very relaxing. It's my way of giving a beautiful ambience to my treatment room.
3-Get the other cloth ready and place it onto the other side of the face ,but removing the first one from the first half at the same time.
4- I repeat this probably 2-3 times so that the heat really does open up the pores. It's my way of a gentle steam without the machine. I never liked ours at college because it seemed to drip all the time and I wasn't really wanting a wet floor as an extra hazard.
5- comedone extraction if part of your facial
6- Exfoliation, either scrub or gentle fruit acid peel- remove with the flannels once more. Tone if required.
7- Provide the aromatherapy massage or french facial massage- I mix the two , and add in scalp massage from my aromatherapy routine, if they want it. Occasionally my indian head massage gets added.
8 -Remove the massage cream if using massage cream and then apply the mask for the set time.
9 - Leave the massage oil on and then apply the mask to help further the penetration of the oils. It's one of the reasons why I use avocado oil as a carrier...yes it a little green in colour but it is an excellent nutrient packed carrier oil.
10- Apply cotton wool discs to the eyes with gentle toner or rose water.
11- Provide massage to hand/arm or foot/lower leg.
12- Remove mask with fresh water and sponge discs, tone moisturise.

HTH

Why do you put essential oils in water? They are not water soluble, they basically float on the surface of water and their properties are lost. I take you are not an aromatherapist 🧖
For your information, I did a full year aromatherapy diploma at my local college, 30 years ago. Since then I have adapted my knowledge in day to day treatments ,thus far with no objections nor complaints.
Essential oils are carried on steam and that is why they go into the hot flannel method. It's truly a beautiful sensorial treat. A hot flannel presented to you after a meal or long flight does just the same...encourages deep relaxation.
Suits me and my clients.

You can have aromatherapy baths and add a few drops into your bath water!

Hi Bella1234,
I am a home based salon and have never offered anything like a facial as a mobile, even in the start up days of my business. However when I was training in aromatherapy I did this because I only needed my couch/towels / aromatherapy oils and carrier oils ...so little chance of my forgetting something. I did the aromatherapy diploma some 30 years ago.
For a facial there is far too much to cart around for me. The only services I provide mobile to my more older clients are manicures/pedicures and facial waxing. ( well that was before covid 19 struck. )

Facial method:-

1-Double cleanse/tone.
2-Hot water with essential oils added. Plus 2 thin flannels. Squeeze one out and lay on one side of the face. So that it's not smothering the nose entirely-just vertically half of it. If the flannels are a good size you may get them to lie right down to the collar bone which is better. The vapour and gentle release of the essential oils aroma is very relaxing. It's my way of giving a beautiful ambience to my treatment room.
3-Get the other cloth ready and place it onto the other side of the face ,but removing the first one from the first half at the same time.
4- I repeat this probably 2-3 times so that the heat really does open up the pores. It's my way of a gentle steam without the machine. I never liked ours at college because it seemed to drip all the time and I wasn't really wanting a wet floor as an extra hazard.
5- comedone extraction if part of your facial
6- Exfoliation, either scrub or gentle fruit acid peel- remove with the flannels once more. Tone if required.
7- Provide the aromatherapy massage or french facial massage- I mix the two , and add in scalp massage from my aromatherapy routine, if they want it. Occasionally my indian head massage gets added.
8 -Remove the massage cream if using massage cream and then apply the mask for the set time.
9 - Leave the massage oil on and then apply the mask to help further the penetration of the oils. It's one of the reasons why I use avocado oil as a carrier...yes it a little green in colour but it is an excellent nutrient packed carrier oil.
10- Apply cotton wool discs to the eyes with gentle toner or rose water.
11- Provide massage to hand/arm or foot/lower leg.
12- Remove mask with fresh water and sponge discs, tone moisturise.

HTH
Sounds amazing 👌🏽

Hi everyone,

So am about to go mobile in a few weeks doing facials however am trained in essential oils as well.
Is there anyone on here that uses facial products and incorporates essential oil?

my idea is to do a basic facial & a luxury facial with aromatherapy and a nice shoulder neck arm massage.

TIA
Hi Bella,

I am a Complementary/Holistic Therapist and tutor of 14 years.

Aromatherapy is a great thing to incorporate into most treatments and most clients love aromatherapy.

The most important thing is to go through your consultation with your clients throughly, check any medical conditions carefully in case Aromatherapy isn’t suitable for your client.

Secondly, ensure you check your clients sensory preferences (this is very important!)

Some clients may be very sensitive to smell (Autism, migraine sufferers) so it is always a good idea to check this before hand, as a migraine sufferer myself certain oils would ruin the treatment for me from the start!

As a therapist who worked in 5 star spas for 10+ years I would highly recommend you create your own little welcome routine for your clients, not only will this relax them but it adds that little something unique to your treatments from other therapists.

Welcome routines can include getting a client to choose an Aromatherapy oil of their choice to use for breathing techniques and use on damp facial clothes/towels used to remove products.

Breathing techniques don’t have to be anything fancy, when client is on the bed few drops of essential oil on your hands, get client to close eyes if they are comfortable with this and ask them to inhale slowly through the nose and when they feel ready exhale out through the mouth 3-5 times.

I find having a choice of oils available really helps (Top, middle and bottom notes) floral, earthy, citrus ect. Lavender, Sweet orange, Ylang Ylang, Lemon , Cedar wood seem popular with my clients!

As Rosie R said you can also add essential oils to your towels, you can either fill a sink with warm water and add a few drops of oil to the water and let the facial clothes absorb this in then squeeze out excess water or put the towels in warm water, squeeze out excess water and add a few drops of oil to each facial cloth. I would recommend you invest in a hot cabi/ towel warmer to keep the facial clothes nice and warm.

Babs313 and I take it you are not an experienced therapist who has never worked in a 4 or 5 star spa as this is common practice to add essential oils to water to let facial clothes soak in?

A neck and shoulder massage (Client face up in bed) is always a nice touch in facial treatments when the face mask is on So you could use a nice essential oil here too.

Sorry for such the long reply and Good Luck in your new mobile therapy adventure!
X

Last edited:
Forgot to add a lot of therapists are now doing online computerised consultation forms, this may be a handy option for you if you are mobile and maybe worth looking into
X

Oh wow thank you for the reply that’s really kind of you ☺️
I think in terms of experienced I have never give up learnig about the techniques and oils (from my books) just that I had other commitments in the way but now I have plucked up the courage to leave my job and do something I am passionate about. I would of like to work in a spa but like above there was loads Going on at the time and me working 2 jobs.
I will certainly be adding them essential oils to my treatment.
is the hot cabinet portable for when I go mobile I was just the king I have a lot to carry.
I mag just go down the route of hot water from clients house.
where do you get the face cloths from? a beauty wholesalers? Sorry for long msg too

Hi Bella,

That’s ok ☺️ Always nice to pass on any tips to other therapists as I myself picked up most of my tips from senior therapists over the years that aren’t taught in college!

I think over the last 2 years is a fantastic time to go mobile, with the use of Instagram and social media it’s so easy to get a business page set up to promote yourself to clients (just make sure you safeguard and protect yourself online!)

Spa work is great for experience and to get on your CV but very hard work physically and mentally especially if you have children or other commitments , the work life balance can be awful.

You can get mini hot cabi/towel warmers for around £70 I think?? From Beauty retailers. Some online ones include Ellisons and even Amazon but make sure you check reviews and that the company is legit and that it isn’t coming from somewhere across the world as the delivery times can be weeks/months.
You can also do a google review, some Beauty wholesalers offer payment plans on equipment.

Get yourself a nice quality bowl which is safe to have hot water in and few drops of oil in there and on facial clothes for treatments if hot cabi isn’t a option.

With your Essential oils, make sure for any oils being used in facial/massage routines that they are good quality and not cheap ones mixed with lots of other nasty ingredients.

For essential oils just used on facial clothes you may want to look into the bigger bottles (100ML and 500ML) as these are great when using on towels and you get a great usage time out of them.

I order my towel oils from a UK company called Calmer Solutions, great size and price never had any problems.
Facial clothes can be purchased from any beauty wholesaler and can come in different sizes.

Some therapists prefer the mitt style with thumb other prefer the normal flannel style.

If you live near a Savers or a home bargains you can pick up normal face towels/clothes there, wash them first to get any excess dye out.

If you want the bigger style facial clothes if recommend a beauty wholesaler or Amazon.

X

How rude and unkind

Hi Bella1234 Like RosieR I’m a salon based therapist. I’m not convinced that a towel cabi is practical mobile. You can buy mini ones on eBay quite cheaply but they do need 20 mins to get good and hot.

I’d suggest an insulated bag and a wide necked soup thermos prefilled with hot water and a couple of hot stones. Grab a bowl of hot water in your client’s house and soak your towels and pop inside your insulated bag and add your hot stones. You might want to experiment with those reusable hand warmers to help keep everything toasty. Depending on how you’re using your aromatherapy oils, you might want to add them to a spray bottle and you can mist the towels and the air. I spray high over the couch and the aroma settles down, creating a wonderful sensory journey for the client (and me).

if you decant your products into reusable containers to save on weight you should be able to fit all your facial kit, including bowls etc into a beauty case which will double up as your trolley. You should just about be able to handle that together with your couch - but you might need to have a “no flats without working lifts” rule.

When arriving and leaving your client, if you need to make two trips, never leave your products unattended. Take the couch in first and out last, leaving your products on the back seat of your car under a blanket.

Hi just thought I would jump back on this post:
I have ordered a mini hot towel steamer to use to take product of the face.
I am going to be offering a basic facial and a luxury 1
Basic - cleanse, tone, mask, moisturise
Luxury cleans, tone, mask, (shoulder neck massage) hot towel removal of mask moisturis.
I could also include a scalp massage???
what would your prices be am trying to do a lil research.

Latest posts

Back