Facials What do you do when masque is on?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Layla-Louise

Reaction score
Hi there im Dermalogica Trained and therefore have to do my facials in a specific way which im fine with because im asolutely adore their products and think they really do give profesionnal results. However i just wanted to know what other therapists so whilst the face mask is on for 15-20mins Dermalogica recommend you give your clients a nice hand/arm massage or neck/shoulder however most salons class this as a touch therapy which would require an extra cost as its an add on to the treatment-as clients allready have a massage in their 1hour facial treatment which is essentialy what their paying for.
At my salon at the moment the employer has told me that she leaves the room for 15-20mins while the masque is on so that it helps the clients to relax more and not feel like they have to chat to you, although i find it rude to go out and leave them for this duration when its your time their paying for
So just wanted suggesstions of how i can do things better and differently when i have my own salon as to what you all do please?

Hand and arm massage for 10 mins and then leave them for 10 mins.

I cant understand why a salon would charge extra for the hand and arm massage - this costs nothing extra and no extra time either so in my opinion it should be complementary!

I often massage the feet. I only do hands if they don't want their feet touched or they have tights on. Occasionally I leave the room but I always really worry that something untoward might happen- for instance what if the mask was irritating them and they couldn't tell you because you weren't there ?

Yeah they both sound like good ideas most clients dont take their shoes/socks off for a facial so if i do do that i'd have to clarify to them which items of clothing to remove, however sometimes i feel clients dont even feel its necessary to take their top off but thats when i say it because we also include the neck in the facial too.
I know what your saying about time but some would say that again the clients are getting an additional touch therapy treatment some places charge an extra £6 for this because of the oil their using too even though i agree its minimal.
The hand and arm massage is something i definitely consider because at the beggining of my facial treatment i'd like to do a hand and foot cleanse too.
I sometimes think its not wise leaving clients on their own in treatment rooms too and would rather stay in

You could offer the choice of hand/arm massage or foot massage before you start the facial. That way they're prepared for it. I think it's a really good idea, and something that could set you apart from other salons in your area. Also I do think that 20 minutes is a long time to leave a client unattended.

You could offer the choice of hand/arm massage or foot massage before you start the facial. That way they're prepared for it. I think it's a really good idea, and something that could set you apart from other salons in your area. Also I do think that 20 minutes is a long time to leave a client unattended.

sounds like fab advice to me

I offer a scalp,or a hand and lower arm massage....it just came as second nature to me to do this,and as Theresa said,i would not charge extra for that.

Some salons do not offer this,and i have experienced a therapist to leave the room....but for me a skin care treatment is not just purely results....there should be an element of touch therapy aswell as a facial massage.

For me it is about combining results and merging it with the treatment as a whole,so the client gets so much more and a sense of well being.:)

Some clients say that they did not expect a scalp or hand massage,but then some have declined this,but in my experience it is extremely rare for clients to do so!:green:

yah definitely clients would feel like their getting more out of their treatment so would you recommend 10 minutes 15 minutes or the full 20minutes

I never leave any of my clients during treatments, especially facials or eye treatments where they have they may feel compromised with having their eyes covered/closed. I feel they need the reassurance of my presence and during a facial while the masque has been applied I always offer a foot or hand/arm massage which they client would have decided before the treatment so they can undress accordingly. I have one client who is very arthritic in her toes and she has a paraffin wax treatment on her feet during the processing time of the masque and says she adores this service and recommends me to all her friends. I don't charge anything extra to this particular client as she is a pensioner who comes for treatments every month and I feel privileged that she is prepared to spend part of her pension on my treatments!

I have been to a salon (an award winning salon actually) and had a eyelash tint and was left alone for the full processing time and I was in quite a panic actually. I didnt like being alone in the room, I certainly wasn't in anyway relaxed. This was on a 'mystery shop' and this was one of the negative aspects of the treatment that I took away so I can make sure I don't pass on to my clients.

I too give clients the option of a hand or foot massage or quiet time on their own (some people prefer this so I keep checking back on them).

I had a facial at a salon where I was left alone for 20 minutes, only to be able to hear the therapist returning a load of phone calls in the next room. Not terrible relaxing and I wasn't made to feel special, which I think is very important.

Last edited:
One of my clients had a facial at a spa, was left on her own, she said it felt like forever... so she hopped off the couch and marched into reception with the mask still on and demanded to know where her therapist had got to!:eek:

I have also been left on my own with a lash tint on while the therapist went for a cigarette :eek:

I do the neck and shoulder massage.

I always gave them a massage. I was always taught that we weren't allowed to leave clients alone in case they fell etc. Has that changed now?

I also was told NEVER leave the client what if your client fell off the bed or she had an allergic reaction to products and you wasn't there for whatever reason.

you would be sued to high heaven, loose the client and get a bad reputation

I once did a toenail paint for a client during the masque (well my auntie on this occasion) and she woke up to gorgeous red toes which she loved. I did it as a surprise for her as I knew she'd like it but obviously on a 'proper' client I'd ask first! I'm mobile so it worked well in this instance as she didn't have to put shoes etc back on.

I always offer hand or foot massage or even some reiki during the masque for my usual clients though. x

I once did a toenail paint for a client during the masque (well my auntie on this occasion) and she woke up to gorgeous red toes which she loved. I did it as a surprise for her as I knew she'd like it but obviously on a 'proper' client I'd ask first! I'm mobile so it worked well in this instance as she didn't have to put shoes etc back on.

I always offer hand or foot massage or even some reiki during the masque for my usual clients though. x

Ooh I like the idea of the toenail paint, I might have to nick that one! :D

Thankyou for all your replies its defintely given me some food for thought here and ill make sure that i wont do what my employer does i also feel bad leaving clients on their own this is where she would normally have lunch or like you say answer phonecalls which doesnt make them feel special like you'd rather have other things you'd want to get on with.
I will offer my clients a choice of either a foot/leg massage or hand/arm massage as noone in my area does this.

Dermalogica who im trained with also offer a hand and foot cleanse at the beggining of the treatment so if clients have had a busy day and feel self concious about taking their shoes/socks off it helps them to relax and feel fresher.Does anyoneelse do this using hot steamed towels i also use hot steam towels to remove face mask products?

i do a scalp massage and never leave my client. i personally only use hot towels to remove body products

i do a scalp massage and never leave my client. i personally only use hot towels to remove body products

Speaking as a client, I had this at my last facial and it was fab as I wasn't expecting it. I was so relaxed I nearly fell asleep!

well I only do holistic facials so haven't been trained to exfoliate or apply a masque.

I double cleanse using toner for one cleanse and steamed mitts for second cleanser removal, I make up a blend of essential oils and apply it to the decolletage and face and do a neck, face and scalp massage, placing pads soaked in eyebright over the eyes.

I then place chakra crystals on the correct points and give reiki.

then remove excess oil with toner. Pat dry with tissue.

Use jade rollers to aid lymphatic drainage and then finish with moisturiser. And a quick spritz of hydrosol.

If someone didn't want the crystals and/or reiki, I would offer a hand/arm or foot/leg massage. I would use steamed mitts on the feet.

Latest posts

Back