Facials What do you do when masque is on?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi there

I always offer a free scalp massage or hand massage using creative hand cream so the client can smell something additional to the face products great for link selling.

Devon Beauty x:)

Creative hands lotions smell declious loving the ideas here there fab

We always do a hand and arm massage. Clients love it, as they arn't just lying there and helps to release some more of their tension.

well speaking from a clients point-of-view

I don't love the hand massage OR the scalp massage. The treatments I've had always make me feel like they are 'filling in' and have had no ooomph behind it.

Saying that, I've only had facials in beauty salons that employ the staff and have not experienced the treatment from a self-employed therapist, who may actually do more than 'go through the motions'.

I usually do a scalp or arm massage but have occassionally offered a toe nail paint.

I once paid alot of money on a spa day at a local hotel for a facial and the therapist wrapped me in the blanket so tight I could hardly breath and then when she put the mask on she put wet tissue over the top, eyes and mouth included and only left me two tiny breathe holes around my nostrils, she then left the room and didnt come back for around 20 mins, when she did she answered the phone and had a 10 minute converstaion with her son about what they were going to have for tea that night!
Charmin!.

Therefore I would never leave the room going on this experience!

I usually do a scalp or arm massage but have occassionally offered a toe nail paint.

I once paid alot of money on a spa day at a local hotel for a facial and the therapist wrapped me in the blanket so tight I could hardly breath and then when she put the mask on she put wet tissue over the top, eyes and mouth included and only left me two tiny breathe holes around my nostrils, she then left the room and didnt come back for around 20 mins, when she did she answered the phone and had a 10 minute converstaion with her son about what they were going to have for tea that night!
Charmin!.

Therefore I would never leave the room going on this experience!

Blimey, I think I'd have had a panic attack!

Just to clarify, that the Dermalogica touch therapies, are not just arm massages, they are like a treatment for that area hence the chanrge.

I don't personally do the touch therapies, I include massage as part of the service, the client chooses how much time wants with me.

hth

becki xxx

Becki,
we are not just talking dermologica here, we are talking facials in general.

I am not qualified to do beauty facials but have had quite a few facials in my time.

And, at the end of the day, we are also talking individuals too. so, its unfortunate, but someones 'bad' or 'indifferent' experience can tarnish that brand for clients.

I can't even remember some of the brands of facials I used to have as at the time I wasn't in this industry and just booked for a facial. I had a facial at a certain venue every 6 weeks to try and improve the condition of my skin for a year, but stopped going in the end because the hand massage annoyed me and the scalp massage irritated the life out of me plus I could smell patchouli in the products and I HATE PATCHOULI!!!.

I then started having MATIS facials and again, the hand massage was just a bit of 'faff' that was thrown in to waste some time (IMHO).

I would like to try a dermologica facial as I think the face mapping sounds really innovative, and am hoping to book one next week. Will let you know how it goes, and if the whole experience was WOW!

I personally would love to get hand/arm massage with a facial treatment im sure i'd feel asleep during my treatment time and really feel relaxed, can i ask those of you that find an hand/arm massage is something to do in order to waste time then what do you do when you carry out a treament? as we've disccussed here leaving the client on their own whilst the masque is on is not a option

At the moment I've got my facials on special offer to include a "free winter mini-manicure". While the mask is on I can make a start on their nails by filing and buffing them and soaking them in warm bubbles (remember to hold the bowl though!)and cleaning underneath the nail. (The feedback I've had is that the client finds this relaxing). Then I remove the mask and the client gets dressed. Then the client will sit and have her nail polish applied and I can talk to her about the facial and whether she is interested in buying any home care products while her nails are being finished off! (The other reason I apply the polish afterwards is because it would still be tacky when she got dressed otherwise). At the moment I've got time to offer this and I love doing facials, it's my favourite treatment so I will offer anything to tempt someone to book!

I have offered hand and arm massage as an alternative. However if a client just wanted to go to sleep while the mask was on I would just hover behind the door and keep checking on her that she was comfortable but I wouldn't wander off. Some clients are really sleepy after the 20 minute face, neck and shoulder massage and enjoy the quiet time with the mask on.

Luv Mrs Bean xxxxxxxxxxxxxx:green::)
P.S. I would never leave the room while eyelash tinting though!

At the moment I've got my facials on special offer to include a "free winter mini-manicure". While the mask is on I can make a start on their nails by filing and buffing them and soaking them in warm bubbles (remember to hold the bowl though!)and cleaning underneath the nail. (The feedback I've had is that the client finds this relaxing). Then I remove the mask and the client gets dressed. Then the client will sit and have her nail polish applied and I can talk to her about the facial and whether she is interested in buying any home care products while her nails are being finished off! (The other reason I apply the polish afterwards is because it would still be tacky when she got dressed otherwise). At the moment I've got time to offer this and I love doing facials, it's my favourite treatment so I will offer anything to tempt someone to book!

I have offered hand and arm massage as an alternative. However if a client just wanted to go to sleep while the mask was on I would just hover behind the door and keep checking on her that she was comfortable but I wouldn't wander off. Some clients are really sleepy after the 20 minute face, neck and shoulder massage and enjoy the quiet time with the mask on.

Luv Mrs Bean xxxxxxxxxxxxxx:green::)
P.S. I would never leave the room while eyelash tinting though!

Hi hippy chick

I realise that you're not just tlaking about Dermalogica, but one person , lalyla louise i think directly mentioned touch therpaies, so I was replying to that.

thanks becki xxx

oh thats good bexi, wasn't sure if I had offended you or not.:rolleyes:

lol no, I should have replied more directly anyway, getting back into the swing of things after xmas! lol xxxx

Dermalogica who im trained with also offer a hand and foot cleanse at the beggining of the treatment so if clients have had a busy day and feel self concious about taking their shoes/socks off it helps them to relax and feel fresher.Does anyoneelse do this using hot steamed towels i also use hot steam towels to remove face mask products?

Our facials are with Uber (quite a new range) and we start off with hot mitt massage on feet, then throughout the routine take off exfoliator and masque with hot mitts. While the mask is on, we put damp cotton pads on eyes and cover with warm compress. Clients love it and 99% of time fall asleep!

Hi

As nail tech that totally loves facials I adore the neck and shoulder massage I get during the masque time. However, I would be equally happy with warm mitts on my feet, or a treatment as my feet always get cold. I'm a reiki pracititioner so I wouldn't turn down a reiki treatment either.

As a professional I wouldn't suggest leaving the room during the treatment. You have to consider how clients feel. Before I trained in nails I actually left one salon that I used to frequent because they made me feel like I was on a conveyor belt of clients and not an individual. I'd been going for two years when the changes happened, treatment times cut, rooms partitioned to make two tiny ones that could not fit a nail station and treatment couch in wheras before they had been a comfortable size.

I guess what I'm trying to say, is look at it from both angles, what you would like to experience as a client, and what you can deliver as a therapist.

Orin

I use Priadara and they actually suggest to do a mini treatment while a mask is on. I give the client the option of a few and they make the choice of what they would prefer. I offer a scalp massage, foot cleanse and mini massage, or a hand massage. As i don't have a sink or tap in my room I do leave the client, but only for a max of a minute and i tell them where i'm going and that i will be back in a second so they know what's happening.
I agree that leaving clients isn't good. A few therapists used to do that when i was working in a salon before, they'd go and have a cup of tea/natter in the kitchen, and go back in, treating it as a break. It was noticed and they were asked to use the time to complete a client prescription for recommended retail products, which is what I do now too.

Hi there I'm new to the forum so be nice!!! I always offer either a hand or scalp massage prior to the treatment, I wouldn't want to offer a foot massage ( why would you unless you have to!!!! )

Ok so we've allready mentioned that leaving the clients unattended while the mask is on is a big NO NO but i just wondered how many people leave clients to get changed after a massage or Facial in the treatment room at the end of a treatment?
I know that salons ive worked at always did & then told the client they will see them out at reception
however one you cant trust every client with all the products on te trolley's and items in the room as they have their bags with them and u cant accuse them even if u did notice something was missing but just wanted to know what was expected at the end of these relaxing treatments.
Now i have my own salon i leave the room to get the client water and then return let them get change while i finish writing on their record card in rception area but feel uneasy about doing this

IMO you should never leave a client, what if she has an alergic reaction to the mask or whatever she has on???:irked: not good, I would think this is very unprofessional, and the client is paying for your time not to be left alone, we are tought at college to give hand and arm massage whilst waiting for the treatment, eg mask, tint perm etc...

Latest posts

Back