Facials - when to tone, exfoliate, steam?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oey

Reaction score
Hi

Just been reading another thread on mini facials and noticed that it was suggested that you cleanse, tone, then exfoliate, then massage. Surely you would exfoliate after the cleanse as you want the pores to be open to be able remove any debris. I would have also thought you would tone immediately prior to moisturing at the end of the treatment.

This is the way I was tought at college and the way I have always done it.

What does everybody else do or am I being increadibly thick as per usual.

Personally i, Cleanse -steam/extraction - exfoliate- mask - Massage -tone - moisturise
thats how i was taught xxxxx

Your not thick at all chick! You are right, you would cleanse then exfoliate, massage, mask, tone, additives ect, moisturise. Steam could fit in in a few places. For example, I do first cleanse, mag lamp, Second cleanse under steam, (as long as no reason why not), exfoliate, steam again if doing extractions, then carry on as normal. I have had facials though when they put the steamer on prior to doing anything at all. Personally I wouldnt do this as sometimes you do your first cleanse, and when you look at the skin its sensitive or something and I wouldnt steam on a sensitive skin. I know all places train differantly though so thats just the way I do it!! hth

Thanks guys.

I was beginning to have panic attacks then - I am one always for doubting myself so that is a relief!

i would do the same but i don't do the steam as i find that the clients don't like this as they feel clostrophobic (think its spelt like that not to sure)so i use hot towels to open up the pores with a bit of lavender oil on and they like it. And also i found with using a steamer its makes the skin condition worse than what is.
jenny

oey said:
Hi

Just been reading another thread on mini facials and noticed that it was suggested that you cleanse, tone, then exfoliate, then massage. Surely you would exfoliate after the cleanse as you want the pores to be open to be able remove any debris. I would have also thought you would tone immediately prior to moisturing at the end of the treatment.

This is the way I was tought at college and the way I have always done it.

What does everybody else do or am I being increadibly thick as per usual.

I think it depends on what skincare brand that you use.

At college i was taught to tone after every step, eg, cleanse, tone, exfoliate, tone etc. etc. but when you train with different brands it changes.
I have found that college teachs you the basic's then when you work in a salon/spa usually with at least two different skincare brands you learn allsorts !

I don't steam at all, i am mobile so not very practical for me but if i were to steam then it would only be on an oily skin.

Also its worth bearing in mind that some brands are against steaming, Decleor & Clarins whereas Dermalogica use it ( i think, been a while since i worked with dermalogica products)

Bombinigirl said:

At college i was taught to tone after every step, eg, cleanse, tone, exfoliate, tone etc. etc. but when you train with different brands it changes.
I have found that college teachs you the basic's then when you work in a salon/spa usually with at least two different skincare brands you learn allsorts !

I don't steam at all, i am mobile so not very practical for me but if i were to steam then it would only be on an oily skin.

Also its worth bearing in mind that some brands are against steaming, Decleor & Clarins whereas Dermalogica use it ( i think, been a while since i worked with dermalogica products)

but doesnt steaming help with the deep cleanse and to help open the pores - surely alot of skin types benefit from this?

i do the same as cabinkel

(cleanse, exfoliate, massage, mask, tone and then moisturise)

xx

Bombinigirl said:

Yes I agree very much with this statement,every facial brand is different.I do it like this to.We tone after the cleanse because we use a cream peel(exfoliater)The skin needs to be free of any cleanser(which is a cream)or the exfoliant wont work.As I said there is no right or wrong way in this.It really does depend on what brand you use and how you have been trained within that company.No steaming for us though and we are in a salon.Would be nice sometimes,especially if someone has lots of blackheads,however we use Hot flannels,If need be.These work just fine.

Would it be suitable in a facial to use a steamer and hot towels or do you think this would be to much? I do double cleanse, steam , tone, exfoliate, remove with hot mitts, massage, mask, remove with hot mitts, tone and moisturise. What do you think?

Latest posts

Back