Fact/Fiction? "Chi" Iron with Ions not damaging???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VHunter

Reaction score
I met with a salon owner/hairdresser recently (who wanted to learn nail art from me) and we touched on the subject of hair.
I mentioned that mine was 'wash and wear' that day due to the rain and humidity, and how it would be a waste of my time to straighten it.

She 'claims' that a "Chi" straightening iron uses "Ions" to close the cuticle and it would stay straight no matter what the weather AND that it won't damage the hair shaft using 2 to 3 times a week:confused:

I have a VERY hard time believing this:!::irked:

If it's the heat closing the 'cuticles' of the hair shaft, why doesn't a hairdryer do it? Or regular curling iron?

AND
I have SUPER LONG hair.. (nearly to my waist). THE LAST THING I want to do is damage it and have to cut off length....

BUT
I do like my hair straightened as opposed to fuzzy/kinky weird mess that it is.

IF this is true... I would LOVE a strong informative scientific argument WHY it's true.
(I have my dep in cosmetology from 20yrs ago.. am a former hairdresser, but not in the loop about new things on the market as no longer in the business and haven't refreshed my education)

If it's NOT true.... then please pat me on the back for being disinclined to believe her that using it 2-3 times a week every week wouldn't damage my hair.

mmn i am only going by what i have learned so far at college.
ok to close the cuticle......you use different ways....
warm water opens them, as does alkalines.
cool water closes as does acid ...
there is no way you could keep those cuticles close....whilst washing etc.....
the only way to change the shape pf the hair....is to break the bonds...change the shape...then repair the bonds so it fixes the hair into the specific shape you want ie perming straightening, relaxing etc.....using chemicals.
so like you victoria i would like to know how these work...etc...as only being level one.....my knowledge is still limited...
have googled them and read about negative ions etc but dont know what it all means

THAT'S what I thought... re: warm water, cold water, etc....

So, I'm stumped as to WHY a hot straightening iron would 'close' the cuticle AND not damage the hair shaft with repeated & regular/routine use.
Makes absolutely NO sense to me.:confused:

According to this site:
Health and Beauty - Paul Brown Ceramic Ion Flat Iron with Free Moisture Mania Hair Care Kit - 00684131038578

They say this about one of their products (keeping in mind, how much to believe as we ALL know how marketing and playing with words and terminology gets you to think one thing when its another, blah blah, like "organic" uv gel:rolleyes:)

Description: Paul Brown Hawaii Lightweight Ceramic Ionic Styling Iron with Advanced Nano & Tourmaline Technology Exclusive heater design with super-high speed can quickly heat up to 410 degrees F 360 degree swivel cord Lightweight Ergonomic design Dries and straightens in one step Eliminates the blow drying process Creates silky, smooth hair instantly Eliminates frizz and improves condition of the hair Repels humidity seals in moisture and color Far infrared heat and Anion generation Advanced safety and heater protection features U/L and ETL certification for USA and Canada Maximum temperature instantly with-out variances or heat loss 5 heat settings Ideal with Paul Brown Hawaii Chemical Processing Systems Advanced Nano and Tourmaline Ionic Technology: Nano Technology is any technology which exploits phenomena and structures that can only occur at the nanometer scale which is the scale of several atoms and small molecules. This technology is used in ceramic heater and tourmaline coating to create negative ion in their beneficial form and largest quantity possible. Tourmaline is a precious stone that possesses unique ionic and infrared properties. It generates 400% more negative ions than regular ceramic. The negative ions close the hair's cuticle layer to create a smooth, silky surface and seal in the hair's natural moisture. Ceramic Coating Based on precise thickness and extensive heat treatment technology, the surface is treated for strength and hardness. We are already using top quality aluminum plating Al6063S and its consists of property that is pure 99.9% to avoid heat loss and to improve heat transmission. We use only the finest ceramic coating and this technology is our hidden know-how that makes all the difference in the product. How Does it Work: Natural negative ion energy is powerful enough to break water molecule clusters into micro-fine particles and penetrate the hair shaft. That means moisture balance is restored and the hair cuticle is sealed. Purchase a Paul Brown Ceramic Ion Iron and Receive a Paul Brown Hawaii Moisture Mania Kit Free $123.70 Value Free. Your Hair Will Thank You! Minimize

All I can say is "HUH?":eek:
How about plain english please?

According to this site:
Health and Beauty - Paul Brown Ceramic Ion Flat Iron with Free Moisture Mania Hair Care Kit - 00684131038578

They say this about one of their products (keeping in mind, how much to believe as we ALL know how marketing and playing with words and terminology gets you to think one thing when its another, blah blah, like "organic" uv gel:rolleyes:)

All I can say is "HUH?":eek:
How about plain english please?
I'm wondering if the ions referred to work in a similar way to using galvanic current on the skin.
I really don't believe that using a straightener 3 times a week wouldn't damage your hair, but if it's true I'll have one.

Anyone else have input??

Hmm Hi Victoria I would love to believe in this too but I cant seem to get rid of my niggling doubts .

How can we see all these negative ions working ? how do we measure they are there :eek: ?

we only have their word for it .:green:

Just say we bought them and they performed just same as the cheaper ones
we wouldn't be to pleased :irked:

At the moment they are now selling a hairdryer with nutrients that blow into your hair from inside of the drier :confused: what the ****ens ? :eek:

Hair is dead once it leaves the root at the scalp ,
there are some products that do keep it nice but it is still dead.

In my opinion any type of high heat is bad for the hair

The very best things we can do for our hair to keep it looking shiny and in good condition is to moisturize it with conditioner and use a wide tooth comb when wet ,

and no harsh heat of any kind on it , no harsh chemical treatments
just beautiful natural well conditioned hair :green: lol

but we seem to want to be able to alter what nature gives us
so we use all the things that we shouldn't ,
and to help us along we have all sorts of products and gizmos ect pushed at us

I am guilty :lol: I want some Ghds , ( short for good hair days ) but I don't fancy them ion ones :confused:
but I will keep an open mind about it :green: lol

I wonder will the nutrients from the drier mix with the negative Ions

I wonder what they would all be doing in my hair ?
do they stay still or fly around ? do they get washed away in the shower ect ?

the mind boggles :hug: x

Ok- HARD SCIENCE- every blow dryer pushes out ions- ions are electrically charged atoms- when you have static you have ions. Why spend 3 arms, 2 legs and your first born child for a blow dryer when they all work about the same? I chose mine because it's light and has a good warranty. When I use it correctly, blowing in one direction (from the scalp to the tips) it will help smooth the cuticle and help give a shiny healthy appearance. I do not however want it on boil, if the air is too hot it can actually melt the cortex and cause internal strand damage. Would I blow dry everyday? Not if I can help it....

Flat Irons- look for a rounded edge with no sharp corners, GHD and CHI are both great irons, they have ceramic plates that conduct and hold the heat more evenly so there aren't hot spots that can sizzle and melt the inner structure of the hair.

Can you use a flat iron everyday with out damage? Wellllll.....sort of. The theory behind "improving your hair" is the cuticle is smoothed into a straight, flat line providing less possible stress areas that your hair could break. If you are using a quality iron, thermal heat protective styling agents and a low heat setting, you probably can get away with minimal damage.

Will a flat iron improve your hair? No.

I don't think I can be any more blunt than that, I will buffer that with I use a GHD 1 1/2" on myself at home at least on my fringe everyday- to me it's an improvement because they aren't frizzing about, curling and matting to the curl next to them. I'd rather risk some dry fringe (bangs for the US) than have a curly mess on my face!!!

Ummmm on your fringe, which of course gets cut regularly........

BUT I have hair that is nearly waist length, WHICH I'm trying to get as long as possible for the eventual day that I marry..
Having said that, I want to cut as little as possible off. Only trim as necessary and nothing more than that.

So, my question would be:
If you were me, with my hair, would YOU straighten it 1 to 3 times a week, using a chi IF you wanted to keep growing it for your wedding?
:hug:

Hi Victoria , if I wasnt going to have it trimmed to often because was letting it grow then I would not use any type of irons one to three times a week.

Maybe for the odd special occasion , but thats all :hug: x

That's EXACTLY what I thought:wink2:

The hairdresser was trying to convince me otherwise, but...
we know better, don't we?
I think she was trying to sell the darn iron :lol:

Thanks for all your replies
:hug:

Latest posts

Back