Facts about Salon Polish Products

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeni Giles

Reaction score
Most Schools are not privy to such cutting edge information, but since ours is and I know all of you are keeping up with education and industry information or change, I thought I would share with you some information I received from the NMC.

Brands- compete with each other to make the best polish, with the right balance of ingredients to be safe, good-looking and long-lasting. The specific formulas are guarded but they are all similar using ingredients that have been tested and approved.

Is polish safe? Holy Cow what do you mean I can't polish my nails if I'm pregnant??? Yes, polish is safe, at any time (unless of course you plan on drinking it, then you're on your own!) Polish has been used safely for many decades by millions of consumers. Finger and Toe nails are make of keratin, which is hard and largely impenetrable. One polish has dried, the ingredients become embedded in the hardened film and are not absorbed by the body or released into the environment.

Are polishes tested? Yes, Manufacturers and their suppliers rigorously test Polish products and ingredients for quality, performance and safety as well as monitoring data and reports from nail technicians and consumers.

Is polish regulated by governmental agencies? YES, ALL cosmetics, including nail polish products are regulated by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (there it is again, the good old FDA, there is another article about how the FDA is involved) The FDA has broad authority to regulate and seize cosmetic products which are poisonous, deleterious, adulterated, misbranded, or other wise pose health risks. (guess that means I'll be sending back the Tupperware container of CND powder I bought off E Bay...) The Fda website and a look at the FDA handbook on cosmetics makes plain the FDA's interest in cosmetics and their authority. http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/cos-toc.html

Why doesn't the government require pre market approval for nail polish like they do other drugs and cosmetics? Congress decided almost 70 years ago the risks associated with cosmetics were low.

Why hasn't the FDA taken more enforcement action? Because most cosmetics are safe. The FDA does inspect production and packaging sites, embargo products to prevent them from being sold, and force manufacturers to recall them.

The Cosmetic Ingredient review committee is a body of leading scientists and medical doctors that reviews the safety of cosmetic ingredients, feel free to visit their site, http://www.cir-safety.org

How are products regulated in Europe? (bet you are all wondering how I know this, info given to me by the NMC- Thanks Nancy!!) The regulation of cosmetic ingredients, labeling and packaging varies by country and region. Like the U.S. the EU does not require pre market approval. Also like the US, the EU requires cosmetics to be safe and bans certain specific ingredients. The EU used to base those restrictions on risk assessments, as the US does, but recently a new law came into effect in the EU...the "Seventh Amendment to the Cosmetics Directive." This new law allows ingredients to be banned from cosmetics based on fears that they might be hazardous, without any consideration of their actual risks as used. The new law automatically banned many common ingredients, including Di butyl phthalate (DBP) which is a plasticize, from cosmetics even though risk assessments (before and after the adoption of the Seventh Amendment)by official EU governmental scientific bodies concluded DBP as used in nail polish as safe.

Why don't manufacturers use safer natural, organic products? NMC member companies continue to look for green alternatives. The chemical vs. Natural distinction is a false dichotomy, all life is a carbon based chemical process, even water is a combination of chemicals. Arsenic, lead, mercury, and nicotine occur naturally, so do snake venom and poison ivy. (thanks Doug Schoon)

see http://senseaboutscience.org.uk/PDG/MakingSenseofChemicalStories.pdf

Why is there so much in the news about the safety of cosmetics? The safety of cosmetics, including nail care products, has been an issue promoted by several organizations making extreme claims based on little or no evidence in order to draw attention to themselves. Check out http://www.cosmeticsaresafe.org

OK, so now I've shared the information given to me by the Nail Manufacturer's Council, and hopefully it will either give you great information you can pass on to your clients or it will put you to sleep which you probably needed a nap anyway!!

excellent Jeni... very informative, thanks xx

Jenni - as always - your info is fantastic - what would we do without you xxxx:hug: :hug:

Wow!

Thankyou jenny, great information.

Latest posts

Back