Failing business - I quit!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wonda

Reaction score
Well thought I’d post a new thread about a few things, hope you don’t mind.

It’s been no secret that I’ve been struggling recently to get my business running. I’ve done all the usual, Facebook page, Website, Yell & Gumtree listings, leaflet drops, voucher donations to schools for raffles, discount offers for new clients, word of mouth etc etc.

However after having no clients for 3 weeks & making only £200 last month, I’ve had no other option but to call a day on doing Nails as a career. Being sat in a salon 3-5 days a week doing new nail design wheels, reading Scratch, coming up with promotion ideas, handing out flyers, chatting to hairdressing side clients & not getting any money is too soul destroying for me to continue doing.

So on Friday morning, I informed the salon manager that I was no longer able to continue doing it & that my dad was coming over in the afternoon with his 4x4 & we were going to clear all my stuff out. I made sure I had client record cards from the rare clients I have done these last 6 months, telephone numbers etc. Packed the car when my dad came & buggered off.

I’d go mobile but lost my driving licence in February due to the first Epileptic fit in 11 years due to stress, so I then got a push bike to get to work, fell off that & broke my arm which is in plaster until June.

I am very sad that I’m not able to continue with it as I do enjoy doing the rare clients I have, but working for nothing is getting me so stressed, that I’m stressing that the stress will bring on another fit, it’s no way to live & my health is the most important thing to me.

So 2013 is turning out to be one hell of a sh!te year.

I wanted to post this as when I was looking at doing this as a career, I found lots of threads about how busy people were & this sort of lulled me into a bit of a false sense of security, yes I know business take on average 2-3 years before making a profit, however if I knew then what I know now …… if I’m honest, I would not have gone into Self Employment as I’m now about £5,000 down & broke.

I am a firm believer that its not what you offer, how good you are etc etc, it’s where you are in the country. Ellesmere Port is full of benefit scrounging people under 30, it’s the only town where both fast food chains shut down within 4 weeks of each other, it’s just full of poundshops & pawnbrokers.

Therefore people are not prepared to pay £20-£25 for Gel polish / £25-£30 for Acrylics every few weeks or so.

Yes there are a couple of people who I know have made a go of it, but they’ve been at it for nearly a decade. Plus I’m fed up of hearing about how cheap the NSS are doing acrylics for £15 with a 20% discount or how people are doing nails as a career with no qualifications or insurance.

I’ve ran out of love for the job I started off with such enthusiasm for because of all the cheapness & the general public of this town not being interested in looking after their nails / themselves & all they want is a cheap deal with a discount.

I’ve got no plan to get rid of all my stuff, cause at the end of the day I’d not get what I paid for it, so I may as well keep using it on the family & friends who might want my skills at some point & give myself fabulous nails for cost price !!

I’m not sure how much more I’d use this site, I do find some of the things posted a bit too bias towards a certain brand & certain members comments a bit too unproductive & provocative. It’s an internet forum at the end of the day, most people will not want to use the search facility, they’ll just post a new topic or they’ll just want to talk about what new designs & colours are available over other things & people don't want to feel like they've chosen a rubbish brand, when in fact it's not rubbish, it's just different.
However, I do hope that I’ve managed to gain enough insight into the business & skill set needed to be able to offer advice to anyone if/when needed, so you never know, I might stick around.

So, my plan is tomorrow, go to an interview for a Contracts Manager job, similar to what I was doing before nails, hopefully get through to the 2nd stage & even more better, actually get the job …. But since I’m the most unluckiest person everyone I know says I am, I’m not holding my breath !!

Hiya. I'm so sorry that you are having to go through this. I too live in Ellesmere Port and find that most of my clients are from Chester/Wirral/North Wales. Is working from home an option for you? People could then travel to you then and when you're back on your feet then go mobile? I agree with what you say about the area but please don't let that put you off. What about Chester based salons? Better clientele? X

I still live with my folks, so home salon is not an option as they wouldn't allow it.
& I'm not sure about just moving the business to Chester. I spoke to my old beauty therapy tutor a few weeks ago who said one of the part time tutors had a business in Ellesmere Port, moved it to Chester & shut 6 months later !!

I've just lost my love, so no point in pushing myself to do something i dont enjoy anymore that doesnt pay.

May return at some point, but until i win the lottery or find that millionaire to marry, i cant see it happening soon.

But thanks for the comments.

Im so sad to read your post. In the current climate it's so very hard to keep businesses going and after all the money and time you have invested its very brave of you to have made the decision to stop. It sounds as if you have tried very hard to get your business gojng and I'm sorry that it hasn't worked out for you. Best of luck in all you do. Maria. X

What about a different salon in the area, like Little Sutton? A lot nicer than the Port town centre. I just think its a shame that you have invested in the kit and now feel the need to walk away from it.

Hey Wonda,

I am sad for all the things that have happened to you!!

But I think you have made a brave decision and the right decision.

You are right to keep all your stuff ... and you should perhaps consider staying on the site so you know what is going on in the beauty and nails world.

I hope that eventually you will emerge from this spell of bad luck and ill health etc and may decide to have another go.

Sometimes 'today' is just the wrong day to be in business ... but there are many tomorrows to choose from.

Big hugs and good luck with the interview xxxxx

I'm sorry to hear that it has come to this, but i know how much you've been putting into it and nobody can do that forever. You should be proud of yourself for giving it a go or you would always wonder what if...

I find that making a definite decision makes me feel better, more clear headed and able to move forwards, so i hope this is true for you too.

Wishing you the best in whatever comes next. Don't be a stranger! If nothing else, there is always chit chat and pictures of geeks nails to inspire you when doing your own nails xx

You have had a cruddy year, a really loody cruddy year, but don't let that that beat you and break you down. Go for your interview full of optimism and positivity and it will radiate off you. Your going to get the job and then on the side you are going to advertise on FB ;) it's not long till your arm is out of plaster and you are "back in the saddle" and isn't it great that by then its going to be lovely sunny weather and everyone is going to be spending their cash on making their nails nice ;)
You can do this. We all have faith in you.
Good luck xx

Wonda, I hear you totally and understand how you're feeling. Due to ill health I too am just looking at my nail gear, my drive has slipped but my love is still there.
I had to stop working at the salon about nine weeks ago but I rarely got clients through the door, be lucky if I got 15.00 a week sometimes.. Hard eh?

Deff don't leave us here as you've a wealth of knowledge to share and help other geeks, plus it keeps you up-to-date with new trends etc

Remember every tomorrow is a new day, a new start a breath of fresh air.

I wish you love and luck with your new day job x

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek

This is so so sad.... :(

Don't give up your love and passion.

My first year was shocking, second not AS bad.... And I'm half way through my tax return for year three, and I'm shocked, but so proud of myself, I'm finally succeeding, after all the pennies I ploughed into top pro products, it's paying off!

There's light at the end of the tunnel.
We all have times we want to jack it in and get an easy Monday to Friday 9 till 5!

Sending you big hugs wonda!

x x

You have had a cruddy year, a really loody cruddy year, but don't let that that beat you and break you down. Go for your interview full of optimism and positivity and it will radiate off you. Your going to get the job and then on the side you are going to advertise on FB ;) it's not long till your arm is out of plaster and you are "back in the saddle" and isn't it great that by then its going to be lovely sunny weather and everyone is going to be spending their cash on making their nails nice ;)
You can do this. We all have faith in you.
Good luck xx

Hi Wonda,

I too am sad to read your post, I know things have not been easy for you. I agree with CHarvey, go into your interview tomorrow full of enthusiasm, perhaps you can continue with nails on the side. I am sorry you have had to make such a hard decision, we all believe in you and it would be a shame to lose you from Salon Geek.

Best of luck with whatever path you choose :hug: xx

Hi wonda, so sad to read your post :( I'm really sorry it hasn't worked out for you!
I can imagine it being so disheartening. Maybe after a break from it you'll find your love again, would you ever go work for somebody else? Then you can use their clientele and are getting paid no matter what!!
Self employment is hard work and if the clients aren't there there is nothing you can do.
I agree with everything you've said about the site too, i haven't posted as much as id like cause I'm worried about the response sometimes..
I wish you luck in whatever you do next, chin up! <hugs> x

Thanks for all the lovely kind messages, it's quite touching cause i'm not ashamed to admit it, i'm in a bad place at the mo with everythings that's happened, BUT i'm planning on hopefully getting out of it.

I am making the right decision taking a break from the industry, working for £15-£30 per week if i was lucky is just not practical. 3 weeks with 0 clients broke me.

I need a job that pays the bills, so have no other choice but to return to a well paying job, then & only then would i possibly consider doing nails as a part time thing on a Saturday somewhere.

There's no way i'd do it full time again, i need a job that has consistency & this industry isnt consistent enough for me.

Good luck for your interview!! It's admirable of you that you have given it your all, I'm sure this year will get better for you. Keep a positive head and everything will be fine :)

I feel for what youre saying here op so ill be honest and say that i think in this industry, a lot of people (just in my opinion) think that the only way to succeed is to be self employed whereas i think there is a lot to be said for employment where all the admin etc is done for you and you can just focus on treatments. I believe i am better off on a min wage employment than being self employed and getting the odd 30 quid here and there. I say this because if nails still means something to you then you could look into employment maybe.

All the same, a clearly very emotional post and either way, wishing you the best of luck in whatever you do :)

Didn't want to read and run :D sending a big smile, hugs and some major positivity your way Wanda!

Think happy thoughts and hopefully happy times will come your way, the only way is up now honey xxx

Just couldn't read and run. I just wanted to say what an honest post and you really have had a rubbish year. You're right not to get rid of your stuff, it could become a successful side line. Ultimately, you need to do what's right for you, and right for you at this present time and it sounds like you are doing that.

None the less, still a sad post to read, I wish you every luck with your interview and hope things only improve for you from here onwards. Big hugs xxx

Sorry you've had a awful time of late. I wish you the very best of luck for your interview & hope things pick up for you very soon.

I agree with everything you've said about the site too, i haven't posted as much as id like cause I'm worried about the response sometimes..
x

so sad for you ..... And also agree re site, so I tend to occasionally visit and just browse rather than use it for help. Xx

Hi Wonda, I agree with everyone else in that it is very brave of you to take the decision to walk away just now. You have to do what feels right at the time and with the year you have had, you must be exhausted with it all.

I hope you do well at the interview today and maybe with the pressure being taken off by a regular wage coming in, you may rediscover your love and come up with an alternative plan.

Good luck. :hug:

Latest posts

Back