Fair rent - unbiased opinions please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marie P

Reaction score
I'm currently renting a space for a nail bar in my friends hair salon. Ive been there for approx 3 months. It was supposed to be a temporary measure initially but things are going so well we've decided I will be a permanent fixture. The problem is they were only charging me £30 per week as a token gesture but they have now totally refurbished their back shop to minimise their bathroom and kitchen to make an additional treatment room for me.

Now we have the dilemma, what do you think is a fair price to pay for the rental of a treatment room and nail bar in a hair salon?

what makes you think it would change? have the given you an indication that it would change? is it going to be for your sole use? if so, get it in writing ( i have just been let down by someone who started ripping a room to pieces for me who initially said she would just be happy just to get someone in and she would give me a few months rent free, she wouldnt be greedy, then next week it changed to she wanted £10 a day - this was for a room that i would be able to fit a couch and nail table in - just. then she suggested that i share the room then she completely changed her mind and said she didnt want to rent it out now and i think this is coz she found someone who wanted to rent the room full time and offered more than me. so whatever you do, make sure you get it in writing. she may be your friend but at the day she is a business woman

It is good advice to get something in writing I think. I also believe that she would probably want more rent now that they have created a dedicated space for you. I dont have a clue how much you could expect to pay but if I were in your position I would approach as many local salons as I could to ask what they charge for renting out a space, also other local technicians, hairdressers and freelance therapists. They are the ones paying the rent so I am sure they would be happy to tell you what they get charged. I have seen threads on here before and the rates vary incredibly depending on the location and size of treatment area. I was once offered a treatment room in a new salon for £33. per day and that was about 4 years ago. Hopefully someone will come and give you a better idea and good luck, it is lovely to hear that you are doing well.

Latest posts

Back