Fair % split for what I'm offering?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makeupartistzoe

Reaction score
Hiya Geeks!

I have a nice salon approaching 3 years of trading. I've built up a nice client base and strive and promote and push myself to maintain it all- not making millions but love it...

Anyways I've not found staffing easy but have an amazing hair director who has been with me since day one. We have found we haven't had success in keeping a second stylist. Clients adore the 1 st stylist, don't want to try the new stylists and when they do, they go back to the 1st!

I've been thinking of approaching another girl we both know who is a lot younger but who we can train further than her college training and hone her skills and help her. Rather than renting on a set rate to offer her 40% and the salon 60% which is myself ( owner and providing chair, shampoo, conditioner and styling products) taking 40% and the hair director 20%

I think it's quite a good idea and the hair director does too but we don't know how and who should provide colour?

Any thoughts...?

After my beauty apprentice qualifies I'm going to offer her 60/40 60 to me as I provide everything . And my normal rental is £330 pcm for a chair/nail desk/ beauty room but I provide bits for that

£330 PCM for 3 days per week
£440 PCM for 4 days per week
And £550 for 5/6 days per week

Soz that wasn't clear x

I think 60 to you and 40 to her is fair, i dont do hair but i do beauty and im on 50 and where i work are 50 but they provide everything! so im on quite a good thing but when i started i was 40 and they was 60 so i think its a good percentage to start!

60 to them 40 to you

60 to you 40 to them if you are providing materials x

60 to them 40 to you

Is that a mistype? Lol

To be honest with the original poster, I don't think percentages will help this younger stylist if she has no experience other than a college based environment. She will benefit more from training under your hair director for a further 12 months before hitting the floor as a junior stylist. There will be soooo much she doesn't know and risking her finding that out on your paying clients could be bad for business, effecting both you and your existing hair director.

60 to you 40 to them :) its a good insentive this is how i work

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

Is that a mistype? Lol

To be honest with the original poster, I don't think percentages will help this younger stylist if she has no experience other than a college based environment. She will benefit more from training under your hair director for a further 12 months before hitting the floor as a junior stylist. There will be soooo much she doesn't know and risking her finding that out on your paying clients could be bad for business, effecting both you and your existing hair director.

Lol yes it was, I put it the wrong way round

Last edited:
I'm having this issue now. I've posted a topic about hiring someone. I'm 3 years in and successfull, experienced and ran off my feet so I want someone else rather than clients going elsewhere.
She's qualified level 2 and some courses but not experienced more than a month or so after college salon experience.
She had asked me for 80 her 20 me!!!! Using my client base, my promotion, my business name, me training her further and using my products.
I've never taken more than 50/50 myself once 60 as she left me to pretty much run it & I didn't ask her she offered it :)

How do I tell her there's no way offering her that. Sorry to jump in but I've got too tell her by Friday the %
She needs you more than you need her but she thinks you need her more.

You need to be REALLY careful taking on someone. You need to make sure you follow HMRC rules about if the girl is employed or self employed. From what I have read you are planning to employ her but your trying to take her on as self employed.

If she is self employed all the clients she treats will be her clients, she can treat them where she likes (go mobile & you have no say in this), she is able to charge what price she wants, she will work under her own business name, she will work when she wants and come & go as she likes - none of these things are what you have said will happen.

You need to look at employing her with a set wage & hours instead of a split as you are expecting to treat her as an employee - set her hours, keep your clients, her work under your business name, her use your prices etc...

Although it may be a scarey thought to employ someone you can't blur the lines as HMRC will come down on you with a ton of bricks and I would say you need to speak to HMRC for advice about how to go about employing someone.

She needs you more than you need her but she thinks you need her more.

You need to be REALLY careful taking on someone. You need to make sure you follow HMRC rules about if the girl is employed or self employed. From what I have read you are planning to employ her but your trying to take her on as self employed.

If she is self employed all the clients she treats will be her clients, she can treat them where she likes (go mobile & you have no say in this), she is able to charge what price she wants, she will work under her own business name, she will work when she wants and come & go as she likes - none of these things are what you have said will happen.

You need to look at employing her with a set wage & hours instead of a split as you are expecting to treat her as an employee - set her hours, keep your clients, her work under your business name, her use your prices etc...

Although it may be a scarey thought to employ someone you can't blur the lines as HMRC will come down on you with a ton of bricks and I would say you need to speak to HMRC for advice about how to go about employing someone.

Can some of the above not be changed within the contract if shell be self employed you can say the goodwill of the clients remains with the salon or she not aloud to see them outside the salon? Would this work for bern self employed?

Last edited:
I see what your saying baggy near but that isn't the way I will be going, she's kind of a friend and I'm sure, well that will be the test, that she will respect me and my business name otherwise she's gone and that won't benefit her.

Friends can and will sh*t on you just as much as a stranger would, I'd advise against working with friends as it very rearely works out the way it's planned.

If she doesn't like it ill get someone else it's simple enough and that's the joy of her being self employed.

How will she be 'gone'? You can't sack her as she is self employed and can just take those clients elsewhere and you can't do anything about that.

As I said yes her customers are hers, if she wants them to go to her house she can but then who will she treat here and what's the point in working here then, doubt that will happen.

She won't need to treat people at yours if they are going to her - she can charge them whatever price she likes and get to keep the whole 100% (of course she needs to buy products etc.. then too). She would have her own business and be a direct rival to you rather than someone working for you. This is in her interest as she will want to earn as much as she can and work when she wants so if she takes your clients she can do that and you would have lost those clients that you were trying to keep by taking her on in the first place.

I've done this before where I worked for someone and for myself exactly the same and it was 50/50 it worked very well although I learned nothing from her but taught her a few things.

You can of course do what you like but I would advise you make sure you are doing it legally and not blurring the lines of self employed & employed (which I still think you are doing) and don't end up in trouble with HMRC.

Well the lines are pretty much set here but yes I'll give them a call see what they say x

Latest posts

Back