Fair wage for aesthetic practitioner/massage therapist?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you prefer paying a higher hourly pay or a lower hourly pay with 10% commission on treatments?

• Higher hourly pay

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lower hourly pay + 10% commission on treatments

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Chriss87. This sounds fabulous. It’s the sort of thing I’d have loved to do but I didn’t have the capital. There is a problem to being too small,

Unfortunately the industry doesn’t train managers and there is very little expertise or understanding. Mostly you need a hospitality manager who has run a Spa with a Head therapist supervising the day to dayrunning. Without another business on the side to cover the second manager’s role you are looking at a loss. It’s only relatively recently that Spas started to run at profit, usually they are part of the offer to sell hotel rooms.

For example a fabulous hotel near me was fully booked as a golfing resort but they wanted more couple bookings and had spare capacity on Sunday nights. A Spa was a must to get the WAGs along. They’ve just finished a £7m investment in Spa facilities to match their golf offer. You don’t need a degree to calculate the ROI required and it doesn’t match up with 7 treatment rooms. It only works if you are getting an additional £150 per night per room in addition to the £80 spent in the Spa.

it works at Board Room level. Hotels change hands regularly, I expect the boutique chain are getting themselves ready for a take over.

Top Shop tried very hard to make a Prosecco and nail bar work in Oxford Street, but didn’t understand the business. As a concept it was fabulous but it fell down because they couldn’t find a decent manager. They approached me at one point but I didn’t want to take over. I don’t have the right background in marketing nor the right energy. Hairdressers are great at creating high energy sales, Beauty and wellness attracts a different personality, I could sell high end jewellery in a deep pile carpet, classical music environment but I couldn’t sell armfuls of designer fashion in a colourful, exciting high energy music experience.

You need hairdressing which means you need sound proofing. Hair and coffee works. You also want cocktails, fabulous cakes, patteserie n gelato Ice Cream and a wonderful foot Spa offer. You need great music, squishy sofa benches and a pergola garden room. I had a wonderful plan to set this up a “bird”bar. A place where women could chill comfortably with other women during the day as well as during the evening. Everyone I pitched the idea to loved it. I nearly had the money for it pre Covid. Sadly I’ve been wiped out financially.

Chriss87. This sounds fabulous. It’s the sort of thing I’d have loved to do but I didn’t have the capital. There is a problem to being too small,

Unfortunately the industry doesn’t train managers and there is very little expertise or understanding. Mostly you need a hospitality manager who has run a Spa with a Head therapist supervising the day to dayrunning. Without another business on the side to cover the second manager’s role you are looking at a loss. It’s only relatively recently that Spas started to run at profit, usually they are part of the offer to sell hotel rooms.

For example a fabulous hotel near me was fully booked as a golfing resort but they wanted more couple bookings and had spare capacity on Sunday nights. A Spa was a must to get the WAGs along. They’ve just finished a £7m investment in Spa facilities to match their golf offer. You don’t need a degree to calculate the ROI required and it doesn’t match up with 7 treatment rooms. It only works if you are getting an additional £150 per night per room in addition to the £80 spent in the Spa.

it works at Board Room level. Hotels change hands regularly, I expect the boutique chain are getting themselves ready for a take over.

Top Shop tried very hard to make a Prosecco and nail bar work in Oxford Street, but didn’t understand the business. As a concept it was fabulous but it fell down because they couldn’t find a decent manager. They approached me at one point but I didn’t want to take over. I don’t have the right background in marketing nor the right energy. Hairdressers are great at creating high energy sales, Beauty and wellness attracts a different personality, I could sell high end jewellery in a deep pile carpet, classical music environment but I couldn’t sell armfuls of designer fashion in a colourful, exciting high energy music experience.

You need hairdressing which means you need sound proofing. Hair and coffee works. You also want cocktails, fabulous cakes, patteserie n gelato Ice Cream and a wonderful foot Spa offer. You need great music, squishy sofa benches and a pergola garden room. I had a wonderful plan to set this up a “bird”bar. A place where women could chill comfortably with other women during the day as well as during the evening. Everyone I pitched the idea to loved it. I nearly had the money for it pre Covid. Sadly I’ve been wiped out financially.
This is exactly what I'm planning on doing. With one exception, a separate male only area too.
Hoping that this would allow men to feel more relaxed in getting certain things done ie intimate waxing.
Lucky that my previous job provided the training and qualifications needed for alcohol sale and food production. Which will only be small parts of it.

I also love the idea of an area for working professionals where they can drop off an outfit in the morning, after work come shower use a steam room or sauna get changed and go to an event leaving there clothes to collect the next day. While also being bale to book in to get there hair done etc while with us.

Love it...wish you were closer to me.,!!

Love it...wish you were closer to me.,!!
I'm currently in Devon but aiming to open in Liverpool with a bigger potential client base I hope

I'm currently in Devon but aiming to open in Liverpool with a bigger potential client base I hope
Chrissy87, when you open up your new venture in Liverpool, please let us all know. I would love to come for a day with one or two girl friends, it all sounds as if it will be fab! :)

I also love the idea of an area for working professionals where they can drop off an outfit in the morning, after work come shower use a steam room or sauna get changed and go to an event leaving there clothes to collect the next day. While also being bale to book in to get there hair done etc while with us.

This sounds like a business model that a membership would support.

Latest posts

Back