Fake CND Shellac?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyralouise

Reaction score
I've never purchased or used any CND products (except solar oil, back when Ellison's were still a supplier), so I'm absolutely no expert.

My friend got me 2 Shellac bottles for Christmas, both genuine shade names. When I went to swatch them, the smell was so strong and thought something was off, but as I said, not a CND expert, so who knows. It wasn't until I went to their site to do some research, that I realised there was no "add to cart" or "view basket" option, so I'm assuming you either can't buy direct from their site or you need to register as a qualified professional. She is a hairdresser and has NO nail/beauty qualifications, so how could she get hold of their products? So I asked her straight up where she got them from and she said she just went to the CND site and ordered them.

Is it safe to say these are fakes off eBay???

I've never purchased or used any CND products (except solar oil, back when Ellison's were still a supplier), so I'm absolutely no expert.

My friend got me 2 Shellac bottles for Christmas, both genuine shade names. When I went to swatch them, the smell was so strong and thought something was off, but as I said, not a CND expert, so who knows. It wasn't until I went to their site to do some research, that I realised there was no "add to cart" or "view basket" option, so I'm assuming you either can't buy direct from their site or you need to register as a qualified professional. She is a hairdresser and has NO nail/beauty qualifications, so how could she get hold of their products? So I asked her straight up where she got them from and she said she just went to the CND site and ordered them.

Is it safe to say these are fakes off eBay???

One of my clients rocked up with a bottle of CND Shellac a while back, she has no beauty/nail training, she bought it from somewhere on line, I think it was something like Look Fabulous, it was cheaper than my authorised seller. I refused to use it, god only knows what was in it. CND.com used to have some 'how to spot fakes' articles.

Hmm, ok I will have a look into that. I'll be very disappointed in her as she knows this is my job and my clients could be at risk if they are fakes. Thanks Trinity

I wouldn't say that shellac ever has a 'strong' smell so your suspicions are probably correct.
Any chance you can get sight of the invoice or receipt to confirm where it was purchased from?
If you post photos of the bottles on here we might be able to spot the differences!

No, they were a gift so I don't want to push her too much about it, but I can get pictures of the bottles and swatches later today, thanks

I would just casually mention one day whilst you are together “ oh by the way can I order a couple of bottles of top coat on your account as I’ve tried and you have to have an account which I don’t have as of yet” see what she says.

I’d just be honest and saying the above might give you an answer.

good luck.

OOOOH that's a good idea....unless she says "That's ok I'll order them for you" and she gets them from the same dodgy site!

OOOOH that's a good idea....unless she says "That's ok I'll order them for you" and she gets them from the same dodgy site!
Have a reply in mind, say something like, if you wouldn’t mind could I order them as I’d like to have a little browse at what colours they have in stock.

maybe someone can rectify but I’m pretty sure you have to have done a conversion in CND to purchase their L&P gels etc but don’t know about the shellac I know you need an account I originally done all my courses with CND right up to master tech cert so have always had an account but do know of lots of knock offs on dodgy sites, maddening isn’t it.

let us know how you get on x

If she has a nail tech working for her, she can order CND. I know another salon owner, who is not a nail tech, but she could set up an account with her employee's certificate, as her tech is employed, so she didn't want to have to get her to be placing orders on the salon's behalf. I'm not sure if she has to re-fresh it maybe, as employees may change?

Ok sooooo finally got hold of these bottles, what do we think? Fakes?

Attachments

• 943F945B-0138-4CE9-888A-0E0A5210A955.jpeg
    943F945B-0138-4CE9-888A-0E0A5210A955.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 98
  • E538410D-E914-4669-9C5C-E1ABAA8593DA.jpeg
    E538410D-E914-4669-9C5C-E1ABAA8593DA.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 97
  • 7219DE9A-2CE8-4FAB-8651-2F680D446F56.jpeg
    7219DE9A-2CE8-4FAB-8651-2F680D446F56.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 88
Looks exactly like mine I got from sweet squared however I’ve never noticed shellac to have a smell to be certain I’d try getting in touch and explaining the situation, they’re really helpful.

Looks exactly like mine I got from sweet squared however I’ve never noticed shellac to have a smell to be certain I’d try getting in touch and explaining the situation, they’re really helpful.
Oh ok thanks, I have sent an enquiry to them so fingers crossed they are ok

Latest posts

Back