Fake Shellac in college?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amandaT

Reaction score
Today my apprentice sent me these two pictures from college ... This is what they are being trained to use ... And even better, are being told this is shellac! I am horrified ... Luckily she only attends one day a week (she spends 4 days in salon with me only using CND) but some of the girls are on this course full time and do not know the difference. I am just surprised that a college would choose to train students in a knockoff brand? Should I say something?? ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1389741013.093149.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1389741027.163086.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1389740957.205777.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1389740957.205777.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 812
Ridiculous! That's bad!!

Technically it is Shellac... just not CND Shellac- the one clients are thinking of when they ask for Shellac. :lol:

Honestly, if I were new to nails and this was what my college was making me use when the real patented product is something totally different, I would be upset I'm being lied to. And I would probably speak up about it. That's just me though...

Personally, I would be getting in touch with the college and making some enquiries.
This is not acceptable.

I have witnessed a college tutor showing me and my fellow Level 2 students a Shellac demo using the wrong method and using a cheap generic lamp as opposed to a CND one. She also mentioned about how nails need to breathe... It really makes my blood boil! I don't use Shellac, but have enough info from here to recognise that her application method is incorrect.

We have loooaaadddss of clients who have had 'Shellac' and we cannot get it off with the nourishing remover because it is a fake or another brand. I agree with the above post that many clients think that Shellac is a general name for gel polish and not the trusted brand itself.

This is really interesting because I'm a newb and just visited a beauty school tonight and was going to post here tonight to ask questions about it.

The admissions lady initially referred to "Shellac" but then corrected herself, not sure if she truly caught herself or if she realized I've done a little more research (thanks to Salon Geeks and NailPro mag ;) ) than the average school-age girl coming to them without any prior knowledge.

Also they showed me their kit and products they use in class, which was the Cuccio gel polish system and Nouveau Nail (is that acrylic)? The rest looked super cheap and generic. Does it really make a difference the products you use in beauty school?
I'm just trying to tell myself I just need them to pass my state boards and then I can train with CND later...

This is really interesting because I'm a newb and just visited a beauty school tonight and was going to post here tonight to ask questions about it.

The admissions lady initially referred to "Shellac" but then corrected herself, not sure if she truly caught herself or if she realized I've done a little more research (thanks to Salon Geeks and NailPro mag ;) ) than the average school-age girl coming to them without any prior knowledge.

Also they showed me their kit and products they use in class, which was the Cuccio gel polish system and Nouveau Nail (is that acrylic)? The rest looked super cheap and generic. Does it really make a difference the products you use in beauty school?
I'm just trying to tell myself I just need them to pass my state boards and then I can train with CND later...

To me the difference it makes ( using cheap low end products in beauty school) is simply that you have to learn everything twice. Using low end also saps your confidence when you should be building it; problems that are not your fault occur and you doubt your abilities. Also using low end products teaches one to be aggressive and cause harm to the natural nails because low end products only last well when using those methods.

Sad that you are forced to do these things just to pass the State Board and then have to pay out all over again to learn again from companies who care. I guess it is what it is and to get on you just have to go along with it. I must say I much prefer company training with passionate people and good products, from the get go. :hug:

there was a lady selling this on my local selling page, no wonder its still for sale x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I thought that shellac was a trade mark of CND as they invented it. And that shellac is the name of that particular product not what sort of system it is. IE shellac and blue skies are power polish however wouldn't entertain blue skies.
I use gel polish and people refer tidbit as shellac which really annoys me, you keep explaining to them what the difference is and then you see them on face book sating how lovely their shellac is. So for this I apologise to all you CND Fans. Xx

I'm afraid its not just your college it happens in & its also not just gel polish its happening with. At my college, we are doing 'dermalogica' facials .. Some of the products are in genuine dermalogica packaging but the rest eg moisturiser/scrub/mask (which the tutor swears is dermalogica) is for some reason in grubby little pots with no labels & the difference in quality between those products & the dermalogica packaged ones is unbelievable!!

Last edited:
I'm afraid its not just your college it happens in & its also not just gel polish its happening with. At my college, we are doing 'dermalogica' facials .. Some of the products are in genuine dermalogica packaging but the rest eg moisturiser/scrub/mask (which the tutor swears is detmalogica) is for some reason in grubby little pots with no labels & the difference in quality between those products & the detmalogica packaged ones is unbelievable!!

At the college I went to we had everything in original packaging and was the real deal. Unfortunately some colleges and salons see fit to try and pull the wool over your eyes. I use wholesale shampoo and conditioner at the backwash so I tell people it's whole sale. I give them the option to pay for the luxury range, maybe I'm to honest but if you lie it only bites you in the bum.

To me the difference it makes ( using cheap low end products in beauty school) is simply that you have to learn everything twice. Using low end also saps your confidence when you should be building it; problems that are not your fault occur and you doubt your abilities. Also using low end products teaches one to be aggressive and cause harm to the natural nails because low end products only last well when using those methods.

Sad that you are forced to do these things just to pass the State Board and then have to pay out all over again to learn again from companies who care. I guess it is what it is and to get on you just have to go along with it. I must say I much prefer company training with passionate people and good products, from the get go. :hug:

Thanks for your input Geeg, I have to say that I agree with you. I was really disappointed when I saw their kit. The Cuccio gel system looked like the only quality product they offered. The rest turned me off not just as a student, but even as a consumer I wouldn't want to use the stuff.

The instructor on the other hand seemed really passionate, heard good feedback about her, and she talked a little bit about the NSS/express salons poor practices and went into a little detail about the importance of sanitation when it came to pedicure baths.
I'm going to check out another school tonight to compare apples to apples..it just stinks that beauty schools around here offering a nails-only program are hard to come by, so my options are slim ;(

Thank you for the replies, perhaps I am just naive in thinking that colleges should be training nail professionals to be just that, 'professional'. I am meeting with her tutor next week so will raise the issue then ;) x

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek

The biggest problem I would have with this college is that they have no problem supplying products that they have obviously bought off eBay. ( maybe I've missed something and cco are now considered a reputable ,professional brand with an actual distributor)

That's nuts ! Could they to at the very least use a product that at least has some sort professional background ?

What does that tell you about this college? I would steer clear ...I'm actually amazed.

Latest posts

Back