Fake Shellac! This is driving me mad!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's difficult when you have a problem with language and words. Sometimes, it's even more difficult to hassle someone else to keep checking things for you all the time.

I think you are wrong to post the way you did without knowing how much trouble Mizzy has gone through to do that video.

And I hope you will welcome my comment, accept it gracefully and is able to learn from it.

Yes, point was already taken (see above). When I had a real job 12 years ago, I was a legal secretary (it was only a real job because I hated it, I love my job now so it can't be real - this is a JOKE). Everything had to be proofread at least 3 times before it went out. Just imagine the legal implications of an unfortunate error. Anyway, it's instilled in me, its a bugbear. How do I know who's dyslexic? I'm not psychic.

So let's just move on now and go back to what this thread is about. Fake Shellac and not my offensive Aussie way of trying to get a point across. No wonder 2/3 of all imigrants to Australia come back! Its tough out there!

Fab video Ceri, thanks for sharing.
I agree with others, people who want cheap don't really know quality and these kind of clients you don't need anyway.

Great video thank you for sharing! Xxx

Fantastic vid, thanks so much for taking the time to do it :)

Ditto !! I've shared it on my cnd Lincolnshire page for my students to pass on for their clients !

I have on my website, something in the lines of, used with the only recommended Cnd lamp and products to give you the best from
Shellac. It works the amount of client with have come to me from another salon because they have had a bad shellac treatment and will say about my lamp and the products. So ou really should not worry. I tell the clients why we use the lamp, how us works etc and they keep coming back

Yes, point was already taken (see above). When I had a real job 12 years ago, I was a legal secretary (it was only a real job because I hated it, I love my job now so it can't be real - this is a JOKE). Everything had to be proofread at least 3 times before it went out. Just imagine the legal implications of an unfortunate error. Anyway, it's instilled in me, its a bugbear. How do I know who's dyslexic? I'm not psychic.

So let's just move on now and go back to what this thread is about. Fake Shellac and not my offensive Aussie way of trying to get a point across. No wonder 2/3 of all imigrants to Australia come back! Its tough out there!

FWIW, I think you had a valid point about the video (okay, perhaps should not have been said in public). As nail professionals, we often complain that we "get no respect" as professionals. But sometimes I look on this board and in other forums at the way people present themselves in writing, and I understand why people don't take us seriously. I also think that people forget that although we are talking to each other, these "conversations" are being watched and read by thousands of people and that they are permanent.

(Now of course, you realize that any comment correcting or complaining of another's grammar/syntax/spelling will have its own grammar/syntax/spelling error!)

Great video, thank you for taking the time to do it and share with us!
As for the dyslexic thing, i can speak with some authority on that subject. I found out 3 months ago that i am dyslexic, and that there are several degrees or types. Mine is more of a speaking word salad type. I write, read, speak well most time, but no garrantees. Its far worst when agitated, nervous, or stressed. So i vote that she did a great job!! We all have deficits, some are more lacking in common sense. Have a wonderful day everybody.

Gotta say mizzy, that's fantastic. Thank you so much! (I didn't see any errors? Maybe I'm dyslexic, I'm not sure lol) x

This is rather amusing because I was thinking, I didn't notice any errors either .... I was too busy watching the video and the great information it contained. Haha Ceri ... You see you still need me!! Lol. Love ya ... Really great idea and video. I wouldn't have a clue how to do one! X :Love:

And lay off our Aussie friend, geeks, she has acknowledged the problem and very nicely I may say. It's an easy thing to do, to jump in to a discussion and sound harsh ( I'm always accused of it lol). It's still going to happen. Lol

Great vid! I too didn't notice any errors lol so I'm sure a lot of
People didn't. You've done a great job well done xxx

Fab video thought it was great ...... I never noticed the errors and I watched it twice !!!! X

I've already written this in the blogs, but thought i'd share this here too. I had a call from a new client today who asked me did I use the CND lamp and did I use genuine CND Shellac. All of which I do. I love these kind of calls because it just shows you CND, Sweet Squared and real professionals are getting the word across.

So yes, unfortunately there are people out there still using fake products and still trying to hoodwink clients, but the message is out there and clients are 'getting' it.

I thanked my new client for asking and welcomed any more questions she had :)

:Love:

Hi all,

I have been reading the forums with interest and would like to clear up some misinformation that is being shown online.

Firstly CDN Shellac is the market leader and a great product which I am happy to provide. Shellac is the type of product and not a brand just like Cola is a type of drink and you get multiple brands such as Coke and Pepsi.

CND hold the trademark to the term "CND Shellac" however they do not nor will they ever be able to register the trademark to the term Shellac as it is a type of product and not a brand.

Bluesky Shellac is a lower cost brand of Shellac. In the interest of keeping the market clean from counterfeit products, I have had the product tested. Data Sheets are available on demand and the HSE (Ireland's equivilant of the NHS and Customs have checked the product) The product passed perfectly and is in no way infringing trademarks or contains harmful chemicals.

I fully support the industry and it's right to have a free choice to a range of similar products. I also agree that anyone purchasing any type of beauty product for use on others should have to be registered and properly trained.

CND have spent a lot of money of developing a great brand. They also constantly grow their product range. This all costs money and hence the reason why their product range is rightly more expensive.

All I ask is that we keep customers informed with the truth. CND Shellac is the market leader in nail products, there are other brands out there. A knock-off is a product that copies labeling and may contain inferior checmicals but an alternate brand is simply that, an alternative to a product.

Keep your customers informed but be truthful and tell them that you supply the market leading brand and are a registered beautician. In the end the customer will respect your honesty.

fantastic video x

Hi all,

I have been reading the forums with interest and would like to clear up some misinformation that is being shown online.

Firstly CDN Shellac is the market leader and a great product which I am happy to provide. Shellac is the type of product and not a brand just like Cola is a type of drink and you get multiple brands such as Coke and Pepsi.

CND hold the trademark to the term "CND Shellac" however they do not nor will they ever be able to register the trademark to the term Shellac as it is a type of product and not a brand.

Bluesky Shellac is a lower cost brand of Shellac. In the interest of keeping the market clean from counterfeit products, I have had the product tested. Data Sheets are available on demand and the HSE (Ireland's equivilant of the NHS and Customs have checked the product) The product passed perfectly and is in no way infringing trademarks or contains harmful chemicals.

I fully support the industry and it's right to have a free choice to a range of similar products. I also agree that anyone purchasing any type of beauty product for use on others should have to be registered and properly trained.

CND have spent a lot of money of developing a great brand. They also constantly grow their product range. This all costs money and hence the reason why their product range is rightly more expensive.

All I ask is that we keep customers informed with the truth. CND Shellac is the market leader in nail products, there are other brands out there. A knock-off is a product that copies labeling and may contain inferior checmicals but an alternate brand is simply that, an alternative to a product.

Keep your customers informed but be truthful and tell them that you supply the market leading brand and are a registered beautician. In the end the customer will respect your honesty.

Totally agree, I would hate it if my clients started to ask me if Gelish is a
Knock off shellac! Although great video, i agree clients do need to be informed of the correct products that should be used along side the
system your using.

I have been watching this thread along with others on the site about bluesky this and that. To try and cut a long story short, I posted a pic on my facebook page the other day of my new Gelish lamp because I'm excited to FINALLY be doing nails and the wife of my boyfriends friend inboxed me basically to say that she isn't impressed that I am now doing nails.

Well firstly I am QUALIFIED and secondly I am offering Nail Harmony Gelish direct from the distributor not some back alley Bluesky Shellac (fuming that there is now a Bluesky Gelish as well). I am yet to reply to her as I don't really know what to say, I'm shocked!

Hi all,

With all due respect, whatever about the products passing the HSE and are safe for use whilst I, as a qualified professional, know the difference between CND and Bluesky do you not think its a bit lame to be using other brands names?
In my opinion despite the fact that it is CND Shellac that is trademarked so a company is free to use the term Shellac (correct me if I am wrong) Bluesky Shellac is simply riding on the coat tails of another brand...even more so confirmed now with the Bluesky Gelish...can Bluesky not come up with their own branding and product names? I actually find it quite laughable really...thankfully educating my clients about whats a proper Shellac is what I spend time on, product ranges with no industry background and using ebay as a primary marketplace won't inspire confidence in many professionals at all really.
And if anyone thinks its not a knock off just google bluesky gelish and bluesky shellac and see that its not just the names they are using...even the bottles are copied.

dan641121 is correct in saying that CND can't trade mark the name shellac on it's own as it is already commonly used in relation to varnish (not necessarily nails) There is therefore no trademark infringement.

There could potentially be a case for "passing off" which in laymen's terms is exactly what vip.ie described as "riding on the coat tails of another brand".
It is a type of unfair competition protected by common law.

It is however a lot more difficult (and expensive) to prove and get compensation for. I'm sure CND have consulted with their IP lawyers about this kind of thing but at the end of the day it probably makes better commercial sense to simply concentrate on promotion of their own brand rather than pour money into shutting down bluesky when another imitator will just as likely pop up.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery so take heart that the demand is out there and do your little bit to educate your clients about the real deal. i'm sure they will tell their circle of friends and then if someone they know has a service breakdown from an inferior product that is another potential customer for you! If you look at it that way it is easy to see it is better to put your efforts and energy into being positive about your own service and products and not being negative about so called 'fake' products.

Latest posts

Back