Fake Shellac warning for clients

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im gonna run the risk of sounding like a complete thicky here, but bear with me, i am an amature that does my own nails and have been thinking about investing a uv cured gel polish nail system. i am also looking to
qualify next year with some level of technical qualification in nail care, now thwt my kids are a bit older and i have the time.
would one of you mind please explaining to a complete novice (& idiot) why the bluesky, and i assume other brands such as Gelish, are so inferior and CND so much better? Also, why there is a problem with their use of the word "shellac" which i have researched and is actually not a brand name, but is a word that dates back as far as 3000 years and discribes various thinned lac materials including the material old 78rpm records were originally made of.
I dont mean to sound arsey, I really would like to understand the benefits of CND as a superior brand against those that appear to be more cost effective. thanks :D xxxxxx

Im gonna run the risk of sounding like a complete thicky here, but bear with me, i am an amature that does my own nails and have been thinking about investing a uv cured gel polish nail system. i am also looking to
qualify next year with some level of technical qualification in nail care, now thwt my kids are a bit older and i have the time.
would one of you mind please explaining to a complete novice (& idiot) why the bluesky, and i assume other brands such as Gelish, are so inferior and CND so much better? Also, why there is a problem with their use of the word "shellac" which i have researched and is actually not a brand name, but is a word that dates back as far as 3000 years and discribes various thinned lac materials including the material old 78rpm records were originally made of.
I dont mean to sound arsey, I really would like to understand the benefits of CND as a superior brand against those that appear to be more cost effective. thanks :D xxxxxx
Please use the search facility and look up bluesky and CCO (carbon copy of) shellac. You will see that other pro brands such as gelish and OPI are not considered inferior whereas non-pro products such as Bluesky and CCO are.
you are correct the word shellac is not trademarked, BUT the use of the word and placement on a particular designed bottle etc is which is why CND succeded in a law suit and both Bluesky and CCO no longer use the word Shellac on their bottle. Just the same as the word 'flora' is not trademarked (or David Attenborough would be in court all the time) but if you were to make a spread and call it miss lenny's (in small writing) flora with a similar package and logo I think that unilever might have something to say about it.

Please use the search facility and look up bluesky and CCO (carbon copy of) shellac. You will see that other pro brands such as gelish and OPI are not considered inferior whereas non-pro products such as Bluesky and CCO are.

Cool - thank you for the pointer ;-) like i said, a complete novice and ahdnt even had a good trawl thru the site yet to see what i can find out. (i only joined at 1am this morning lol).

would any of you recommend one professional uv cured gel polish system over another? or is is pretty unanimous that CND is the only one worth having?

Cool - thank you for the pointer ;-) like i said, a complete novice and ahdnt even had a good trawl thru the site yet to see what i can find out. (i only joined at 1am this morning lol).

would any of you recommend one professional uv cured gel polish system over another? or is is pretty unanimous that CND is the only one worth having?

No CND is not the only one worth having. I use Gelish alongside my shellac. I love both. There are loads of fab gel polishes out there.

Have a little look at old threads and I would narrow my options down, then maybe get a mani in your top 2/3 or go to olympia and get each finger done in your chosen ones and see which ones you prefer.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

would any of you recommend one professional uv cured gel polish system over another? or is is pretty unanimous that CND is the only one worth having?[/QUOTE said:
Shellac is not 'the only one worth having' I use Gelish and love it, however Shellac is not a Gel Polish, it's a power polish so they are different =) and I would recommend people try both and see what they prefer

Will you all get over this 'Power Polish' nonsense! It is simply a marketing term.

Shellac is a type of Gel as it contains a form of acrylates. These are found in ALL acrylics & Gel polishes but not in ordinary nail varnish.

Some clients can become highly allergic to this form of enhancement and you risk their health by trying to convince clients otherwise.

Just read the MSDS sheets of all your products if you remain unconvinced.

Cheers. x

Will you all get over this 'Power Polish' nonsense! It is simply a marketing term.

Shellac is a type of Gel as it contains a form of acrylates. These are found in ALL acrylics & Gel polishes but not in ordinary nail varnish.

Some clients can become highly allergic to this form of enhancement and you risk their health by trying to convince clients otherwise.

Just read the MSDS sheets of all your products if you remain unconvinced.

Cheers. x

Thanks for the explanation, looks like I need to do some more research! I still stand by my recommendation to try both though =) as long as its a genuine brand (not cco or bluesky) it won't be awful it just may not be the best =)

CND Shellac is referred to as a "Power Polish" as it is the one of the only UV cured polishes that according to manufacturers instructions, does not require removing/buffing the shine from the natural nail prior to application. Therefore, based on application it is more akin to a polish than an enhancement and causes no damage to the clients natural nails, again like a traditional polish. It is true that people can develop an oversensitivity, but this can happen with any product they apply to themselves be it hair, skin or nail products. An appropriately trained tek will know the correct measures to take to massively reduce the chances of a client developing sensitivities xx

Nope, that's just more sales hype. You don't need to buff with Gelish either. I used to offer 3 systems before my allergy forced me to quit.

There is a Massive difference between an ordinary nail polish and a gel based system in terms of potential allergic reaction. Just ask a Consultant Dermatologist about the huge % increase in patients coming in with painful allergic reactions to substances containing acrylates within the last five years.

My main reason for posting is simply to
raise awareness that all UV and acrylic systems can be potentially dangerous to clients if someone has an existing sensitivity. Allergic reactions to ordinary Nail Varnish by comparison, is minuscule.

When I was first diagnosed, so many nail techs tried to persuade me to use Shellac because it was 'much safer' being 'hypoallergenic' and a 'power polish' etc.

Sadly, as Shellac still contains acrylates, it will cause a very serious reaction in anyone particularly sensitive. Obviously, this only affects a tiny percentage of customers but nail techs using any UV system should be given the correct factual information so that they don't unwittingly put a clients health at risk.

So glad I found this posting, as one of my friends is banging on about the chameleon shellac she has just had and how wonderful it looks. I told her they don't do one, or at least I haven't seen it in the CND sight and now this has shed light on it. I will let her know that the reason. Don't have it is that it's not Shellac.

I think you need to educate them on the fact products should be purchased through a legitimate supplier as well. This photo was on a nail group I belong to on facebook. At first glance this looks like genuine CND Shellac, but it isn't! Can you see why?

Steph xx

Attachments

• 1391963598078.jpg
    1391963598078.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 405
I think you need to educate them on the fact products should be purchased through a legitimate supplier as well. This photo was on a nail group I belong to on facebook. At first glance this looks like genuine CND Shellac, but it isn't! Can you see why?

Steph xx

Wow they're good copies...the only thing I notice is the names of the colours?! Is there something else? Xx

I would say the names of the colours too.

Yes very very good copies but I dread to think whats actually in them! Yes it's the names.

Steph xx

Wow they're good copies...the only thing I notice is the names of the colours?! Is there something else? Xx

And the fact there's not a yellow like that maybe? Well there will be in a few days haha xx

Latest posts

Back