Falling out of love with Gelish!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristin38

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I currently use Gelish in my salon and although I don’t have any problems/faults about the product I am falling out of love with the brand. I was so set on Gelish as a brand when I qualified (from college) and I jumped in with both feet. I have since completed a few courses directly with Nail Harmony and found them great. It’s just some other aspects that are slowly putting me off. So .... I was wondering are there any other strictly professional brands out there that I could try or even a new brand that I could “get in with” while they are still growing? I think i need to try a few to help me decide if I should change or go back to what I know?

Lots of professionals-only brands out there. Cnd, Ink London, cjp, CalGel, Biosculpture etc etc are but just a few out there. Just do a search here, get yourself some try-me kits and decide what suits you best

The Gel Bottle I would highly recommend. I am also falling out of love with Gelish, and am moving over to TGB now xx

From what I can see gel bottle can be purchased by anyone online and you don’t have to be qualified?

From what I can see CND can also be purchased by anyone online and you don’t have to be qualified?

There are lots of pro brands out there. What are your complaints with Gelish? That would help us make recommendations that address those complaints.

The definition of a pro brand is not whether it can be bought by anyone online; in an open market, that is true of any brand. The issue is whether the manufacturer sells directly to those who are not qualified, as well as how the product is developed, targeted, and supported.

Lots of professionals-only brands out there. Cnd, Ink London, cjp, CalGel, Biosculpture etc etc are but just a few out there. Just do a search here, get yourself some try-me kits and decide what suits you best

Please don't associate those other brands with CND as CND is the best, no questions asked.

Op, totally understandable. Gelish is sort of a weird product. Sometimes it will burn the client's nails even if you are doing things by the book.

There are lots of pro brands out there. What are your complaints with Gelish? That would help us make recommendations that address those complaints.

The definition of a pro brand is not whether it can be bought by anyone online; in an open market, that is true of any brand. The issue is whether the manufacturer sells directly to those who are not qualified, as well as how the product is developed, targeted, and supported.

I have no complaints about the product it’s more to do with everything else surrounding it. How a few things have been handled and the marketing of products towards the techs that use them.

I appreciate what you are saying. Any product is available to buy via the open market but a lot of brands are also sold directly from manufacturer to those who are unqualified. To me a professional brand is a brand that is only available to qualified technicians. No matter how well a product is marketed or developed if it’s easily available then there isn’t much stopping a person (and potential client) from purchasing their own products and giving it a go themselves.

Please don't associate those other brands with CND as CND is the best, no questions asked.

Op, totally understandable. Gelish is sort of a weird product. Sometimes it will burn the client's nails even if you are doing things by the book.

What a strange comment to make... I have been using Gelish for a few years now and NEVER had issue with it burning a clients nails and I’m sure there are many Gelish techs that can agree with me. If you have managed to “burn the clients nails”. I suggest you speak to your educator as there is clearly something wrong with the “book” you are doing things by.

I've used lots better than CND but do not question it whilst you bash Gelish ...lol

There is a difference between facts and an opinion. Tuan only ever posts an opinion :)

I understand your devotion to CND; it is an excellent brand with excellent products. But it is not necessarily the best for everyone. We can be devoted to our favorite brand without saying inaccurate and damaging things about other brands. Gelish is no more likely to "burn the client's nails" than any other professional brand and that only occurs when the product is used incorrectly or the client has an underlying issue (rings of fire, for example).

I have no complaints about the product it’s more to do with everything else surrounding it. How a few things have been handled and the marketing of products towards the techs that use them.

So your issue is more with the company than the product itself?

I understand your devotion to CND; it is an excellent brand with excellent products. But it is not necessarily the best for everyone. We can be devoted to our favorite brand without saying inaccurate and damaging things about other brands. Gelish is no more likely to "burn the client's nails" than any other professional brand and that only occurs when the product is used incorrectly or the client has an underlying issue (rings of fire, for example).

You are absolutely correct when you said that CND is not for everyone. CND markets their products towards higher end clients. Ive mentioned this before. This is because higher end clients are less hard on their nails.

But the problem of a good product is actually a lot more complicated. So, If cnd caters to high end clients, who caters to middle end? Of course it would be brands like OPI, Gelish, etc etc. But instead of being within reach in terms of quality to CND, these brands are actually MILES behind CND. By being so far behind in technology, it puts the client at risk for nail damage and allergic reactions - those are the most important factors to consider in a good product. So, a high quality product for the middle class really don't exist because the two factors mentioned above haven't been met. That is why im so "strict" when it comes to threads like these. Everything that I do, all my research, is meant to help nail techs. I purposely put down certain brands because they don't deserve your hard earned money.

Last edited:
You are absolutely correct when you said that CND is not for everyone. CND markets their products towards higher end clients. Ive mentioned this before. This is because higher end clients are less hard on their nails.

But the problem of a good product is actually a lot more complicated. So, If cnd caters to high end clients, who caters to middle end? Of course it would be brands like OPI, Gelish, etc etc. But instead of being within reach in terms of quality to CND, these brands are actually MILES behind CND. By being so far behind in technology, it puts the client at risk for nail damage and allergic reactions - those are the most important factors to consider in a good product. So, a high quality product for the middle class really don't exist because the two factors mentioned above haven't been met. That is why im so "strict" when it comes to threads like these. Everything that I do, all my research, is meant to help nail techs. I purposely put down certain brands because they don't deserve your hard earned money.

Please show us facts?

And please explain to me what a ‘high end client’ is?

From what I can see gel bottle can be purchased by anyone online and you don’t have to be qualified?
Not true! You have to provide proof of professional qualification to them.

Please show us facts?

And please explain to me what a ‘high end client’ is?

Fact 1: only CND and OPI have their own nail lamp. All other lamps are re branded.
Fact 2: Even having their own lamp, OPI cannot cure their gels properly because they don't have good engineers. Their lamp(the newest one) will be going through a recall process. I've spoken to them. So, what makes you think these other brands can properly do gels? GET REAL.

Those two facts alone are why I blow off all other brands so quickly because the lamps themselves cost a ton of money to make. Nail techs don't know jack squat about the products they use. They just see color and the gel getting hard. Good enough for them!

A high end client would be someone who uses their head more than their hands, a white collar worker.

Last edited:
Fact 1: only CND and OPI have their own nail lamp. All other lamps are re branded.
Fact 2: Even having their own lamp, OPI cannot cure their gels properly because they don't have good engineers. Their lamp will be going through a recall process. I've spoken to them. So, what makes you think these other brands can properly do gels? GET REAL.

Those two facts alone are why I blow off all other brands so quickly because the lamps themselves cost a ton of money to make. Nail techs don't know jack squat about the products they use. They just see color and the gel getting hard. Good enough for them!

A high end client would be someone who uses their head more than their hands, a white collar worker.

That’s funny because I used to work for nail harmony and their lamps are specifically made to cure Gelish. Many lamps are created to look like the 18g but they are not the same.
I can’t speak for other brands because I don’t know the science behind them. Therefore would not like to generalise like you have.

Not sure who is feeding you your ‘facts’ but maybe you need to check you’re sources.

You were slating CND a few months ago so I find it hilarious that you are now singing their praises.

Your posts really get my back up because you act like just because you use CND you are superior and every other brand is inferior when this isn’t the case.

You talk down to people with pretty much every comment on here that you post. Because if we aren’t using CND then we are all apparently unprofessional.

I find that the products I use on clients last until their next appointment regardless of what they do for a living.

Also the products that I use are more expensive than CND but do I sit here and say they are better than CND just because they cost more? Hell no because that isn’t true, the same way as pretty much 99% of your comments aren’t true and they come from your personal preference rather than an actual fact.

So maybe take your own advice and Get Real [emoji1360]

Got their own lamp makes their product better than everything else ... get a life. As for the high end client comment ... i have no words.

That’s funny because I used to work for nail harmony and their lamps are specifically made to cure Gelish. Many lamps are created to look like the 18g but they are not the same.

Gelish did not engineer that lamp themselves. They ordered it from a factory and slapped their logo on it. CND engineered their lamps themselves from the ground up. The lamp and the gel is a 100% match. Other brands can't do this because its so expensive and you need very specific knowledge on a very niche area of chemistry.

You were slating CND a few months ago so I find it hilarious that you are now singing their praises.

If you recall, I was bashing them because I was having trouble removing them cleanly. I have since then solved that problem. Also, you can learn a lot within a couple of days, let alone a couple of months. With new info I change my tone back and forth. As of now, CND is the best.

Your posts really get my back up because you act like just because you use CND you are superior and every other brand is inferior when this isn’t the case. You talk down to people with pretty much every comment on here that you post. Because if we aren’t using CND then we are all apparently unprofessional.

We've established the fact that Shellac isn't for everyone because people use their hands differently. The problem lies in the fact that certain conditions haven't been met by products for the non white collared worker. The product just doesn't exist. For it to exist, it must meet the nail lamp conditions mentioned above.

I find that the products I use on clients last until their next appointment regardless of what they do for a living.

Thats not very hard to do. But making products stay on isn't your only concerns when you do nails.:p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back