False Nails....!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaydee

Reaction score
Hi All, just gotta get this off my chest. If there is one thing that really peeves me is the term FALSE NAILS. The reason I have bought this up is cos today I received my special treaments licence (In certain boroughs of London, you have to have this licence to perform treatments) and written on my ID card along with a not so flattering photo is manicures, pedicures and FALSE NAILS.! I dont do FALSE NAILS. If I am extending the natural nail, then surely I am doing NAIL EXTENSIONS. If I am enhancing the natural nail then surely I am doing NAIL ENHANCEMENTS. Am I just being a snob or does this annoy anyone else. Looking forward to your replies.
David.x

Totally agree David ... I much prefer enhancements or extensions. :)

Jo xx

btw ... erm where is the photo? gonna show us? ;)

FALSE NAILS are what you buy in BOOTS - it is NOT what we professionals should be doing - yes Dee - we enhance what our clients don't have... nail enhancements!!!

I too hate the word 'extension' - to me (MY OPINION) it sounds like a prosthesis - this turns the lights OUT when talking to a beauty editor - this is where the term 'enhancement' came from... a very BIG NY editor was the one who suggested 'enhancement' and CND have used it ever since...and guess what - NOW THE WHOLE INDUSTRY USES IT....sorry if this makes me Creative snob bird but hey, if ayone is entitled, I might be one of them!! :D

I'd be peeved if I was you David. The 'F' word is banned in our salon :(

Hey David - you could advertise that you do falsies - bet you get some interesting calls for those!! and not for nails!!

ok, now I just had to reply, I TOO hate the term false nails. Or when others ask are those YOURS or Fake? Added on, extended, enhanced or bought and paid for, they are mine just the same. And when I chose my name..... well erm,, perhaps I was thinking of the silicone kind... ... lol

Whatever, don't hold it against me pleaseeee.....

falsies said:
ok, now I just had to reply, I TOO hate the term false nails. Or when others ask are those YOURS or Fake? Added on, extended, enhanced or bought and paid for, they are mine just the same. And when I chose my name..... well erm,, perhaps I was thinking of the silicone kind... ... lol

Whatever, don't hold it against me pleaseeee.....

LOL!:lol:

I too hate the term false nails, false means fake, and im afraid, fake means not really there.

correct me if im wrong, but i can touch them, see them and feel them! They are not false. they are part of my nail, i am at one with my L&P.

i no false is a term put to many things like, false eye, false leg etc. but again i think this is wrong, they are claiming with this (not that i know who they are) that false must therefore be something to replace something that is not there, therefore a Folly! But again i believe that false doesnt work, its prostetic (sp, bad bad sp's allover the place).

If you lie about something you are telling us something false, my nails and everyone else's are no lie! They are there, they look fab, and people are just jelious of the fabness of it all!

My blood boils when people ask me if i do false nails or if i am wearing false nails. my reply is always the same,
'No these are my nails, but I have got Gel on them at the moment.'

'I do Nail enhancements, they look natural and are beautiful thin nails'

I suppose if anyone wants to refer to any nails being fake, it would be one of two things, either chemist bought ones, like samantha said, or, the ugly thick brick ones you can get at bad salons! I would say no false nails on this site! We nail tech's only do the best nail enhancements!

rabbit rabbit rabbit, god i go on when i get going!

oh ps. i dont think silicone is classed as false either. the op is called breast ogmentation, which again means to enhance the natural breast which is already there. therefore it is just making better of what you got. i suppose false boobs would be joke ones you buy in shops, or the chicken fillet ones!

Jaydee said:
Hi All, just gotta get this off my chest. If there is one thing that really peeves me is the term FALSE NAILS. The reason I have bought this up is cos today I received my special treaments licence (In certain boroughs of London, you have to have this licence to perform treatments) and written on my ID card along with a not so flattering photo is manicures, pedicures and FALSE NAILS.! I dont do FALSE NAILS. If I am extending the natural nail, then surely I am doing NAIL EXTENSIONS. If I am enhancing the natural nail then surely I am doing NAIL ENHANCEMENTS. Am I just being a snob or does this annoy anyone else. Looking forward to your replies.
David.x
I totally agree with you on this one David, I`d feel totally let down by the those giving out the licence and try and get the ID card wording changed. After all, you had to undergo a lot of training to do what you do, no-one needs training to wreck their nails with false ones from the likes of Boots.
If you need a licence to apply false nails, then why are Boots allowed to sell them to non licensed people?

Yep it bugs me to but then I don't like the term Acrylic for L&P, Acrylic is applicable to all systems but the world and his dog dont want to change it...why?

Fab Freak said:
Yep it bugs me to but then I don't like the term Acrylic for L&P, Acrylic is applicable to all systems but the world and his dog dont want to change it...why?
Well Fab - we are trying; I never use the term acrylic for L+P, always F/G, L+P or Gel - guess who started the terminology L+P - ok ok sorry I can't help myself :eek:

Mrs Geek said:
Well Fab - we are trying; I never use the term acrylic for L+P, always F/G, L+P or Gel - guess who started the terminology L+P - ok ok sorry I can't help myself :eek:

Who was that then? :lol: (like i couldn't guess :lol: )

Thanks Mrs Geek for providing the terminology - being new to this means that I'm picking up the correct terms from the outset. However, I do have a slight difficulty....I applied to myself my first proper set of nails last week after my training - false they are not, extended they are, BUT enhanced?? I might get done under the Trades Description Act for that one!! I've got 23 victims lined up for the next 10 days, leaving in a few minutes to do the first. I'm hoping that at the end of the week I'll be able to loosely term the nails as enhanced. I sleep easier at night after dutifully reading Gigi's tutorials.

terregles said:
Thanks Mrs Geek for providing the terminology - being new to this means that I'm picking up the correct terms from the outset. However, I do have a slight difficulty....I applied to myself my first proper set of nails last week after my training - false they are not, extended they are, BUT enhanced?? I might get done under the Trades Description Act for that one!! I've got 23 victims lined up for the next 10 days, leaving in a few minutes to do the first. I'm hoping that at the end of the week I'll be able to loosely term the nails as enhanced. I sleep easier at night after dutifully reading Gigi's tutorials.
course you are enhancing Terregles - you may get better at it as time goes on but that is what you are doing - enhancing what those clients don't have already ;)

I too hate the terms commonly used by professionals, and non-professionals referring to enhancements. "Enhancement" just sounds so classy! I love that word. I remember Brittany Spears was doing a major television interview, and she held out her hands to the reporter and said with a huge smile, "You like 'em, they're FAKE!" I almost threw up my food! How tacky!
LOL!

Latest posts

Back