Family member wants to start Shellac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlee-c

Reaction score
I actually cane believe this has just happened!a family member has messaged me asking so many questions about shellac and minx ins and outs from lamps right to my treatment prices I have really over prices the lamps to her but about £100 haha I think it's a cheek asking someone about their own industry she claims that it's for her mate with a salon I said can ya mate not look by them self n she's shut up am foaming!!

She will soon realise that it's not as easy (& defiantly not cheap) as we make it look!

I had this with friend last year nothing came of it :) one of the mums at the school even had the brass neck to tell me she had bought shellac off eBay & was doing it her self :-0

Yeah she said that she's had a look on eBay.she can jog on if she thinks I will b a) helping her and b) getting the product I think she's being rude by asking haha xx

I actually cane believe this has just happened!a family member has messaged me asking so many questions about shellac and minx ins and outs from lamps right to my treatment prices I have really over prices the lamps to her but about £100 haha I think it's a cheek asking someone about their own industry she claims that it's for her mate with a salon I said can ya mate not look by them self n she's shut up am foaming!!
I feel your pain! I have a friend who I often refer clients to for acrylics as she is still training and I hate doing them! She has now decided that she quite fancies offering shellac too and weekend lashes (another service I provide) what a way to cr*p on your mate! She txt me asking for advise on shellac and on fitting lashes... I replied 'The best advice I can give is , don't stitch up your friends!!' funny she never replied! FUME!

You all seem very insecure!

I was once the only kid on the block doing nails ... Then I started a training school in Leeds and trained ALL my competition ! 27 years later and. There are nail technicians all over Leeds. My old salon is still going stronger t Han ever.

Someone else wanting to get into something you are doing is not stitching up your mates and nails are not exclusive to you.

Every woman thinks they can do nails ... And it is very attractive to many because they think it is easy. Let them find out. You don't have to share all you know, but you don't need to fall out over it either. We all got the idea from someone else!

You all seem very insecure!

I was once the only kid on the block doing nails ... Then I started a training school in Leeds and trained ALL my competition ! 27 years later and. There are nail technicians all over Leeds. My old salon is still going stronger t Han ever.

Someone else wanting to get into something you are doing is not stitching up your mates and nails are not exclusive to you.

Every woman thinks they can do nails ... And it is very attractive to many because they think it is easy. Let them find out. You don't have to share all you know, but you don't need to fall out over it either. We all got the idea from someone else!

Totally agree! If anything you should be flattered.

People should be supportive, if your confident in what you do it shouldn't matter. Not everyone is cut out for nails.

Hi, I've found that however tempting it might be to be jealous/frustrated that there are other beauticians/nail techs working around you-it's going to happen whether you like it or not!
I told myself from the beginning to 'work with them not against them' as its very unattractive when you're slagging off other techs. Be proud of what you do and I guarantee clients will admire you for being professional towards others.

Hi, I've found that however tempting it might be to be jealous/frustrated that there are other beauticians/nail techs working around you-it's going to happen whether you like it or not!
I told myself from the beginning to 'work with them not against them' as its very unattractive when you're slagging off other techs. Be proud of what you do and I guarantee clients will admire you for being professional towards others.

I agree, I have good friends who do the same as me, but we help each other, before my bio sculpture exam I had her help loads, if I learn a tip I'll pass it on, it's easier to work with others then against, and as for people buying products off eBay! Well Say no more! X x

I agree with geeg too. I've just help my friend set up a nail room and I think if my clients are happy they will keep coming to me. If I can't fit someone in I put them to her and vice versa. And she does my nails which is great! I don't mind helping anyone because I believe I provide a great service! I wish there was another one of me in this town to get my beauty done! Lol!

Better the devil you know! There's always going to be new people popping up here and there, at least you know this person- you can make a positive from it.

Shellac and Minx are very popular products... everybody wants a piece of the pie while its hot!

Shellac is the main chunk of my business- about 80% of what I do.
I train my competition regularly- literally, people from the next road, local high street... and it hasnt affected my business- Its not likely that this family member will really impact yours a lot.
I love that if I cant fit someone in I know I can trust the people I recommend are doing a good job, because I know them.
Focus on and enjoy what you do, its not worth worrying what anyone else is up to- just distracts from your own business.

I understand what you mean. It's the ones who don't want to pay for training and just do it very cheaply and do botched jobs that are annoying. I had a client who kept asking questions and I offered to train her for £x. She doesn't ask any more. She is still a client though so worked out ok.

Better the devil you know! There's always going to be new people popping up here and there, at least you know this person- you can make a positive from it.

Shellac and Minx are very popular products... everybody wants a piece of the pie while its hot!

Shellac is the main chunk of my business- about 80% of what I do.
I train my competition regularly- literally, people from the next road, local high street... and it hasnt affected my business- Its not likely that this family member will really impact yours a lot.
I love that if I cant fit someone in I know I can trust the people I recommend are doing a good job, because I know them.
Focus on and enjoy what you do, its not worth worrying what anyone else is up to- just distracts from your own business.

Totally agree! i went on a nail course with one of my competition! we constantly help each other out with advice etc, theres too many women out there that need there nails done and i cant do them all!!!xx

Oh I did have one person come to me who has a hair salon and asked lots then she went on a 1 day course and then started doing nails! I think she maybe thought I was into a good thing but as it turned out its not as easy as she thought and she's given up and I've ended up with a lot of her customers too. I have spent so much time and money on training and that really annoys me! But I have to keep my cool and remember to concentrate on what I'm doing not other people. It's so hard sometimes though!

That's the thing ladies she won't have paid for her training she has no training at all for anything!thats the bit that narks me off xx

I am in total agreement with what's already been said, at the worst, you may end up putting right some of what she's done or you could lend her a couple of books The Complete Nail Technician, Nailclass and Nail Structure and Product Chemistry, these seem to be the industry must haves...just started reading mine before my course starts...omg there is so much to learn!! Thankfully it hasn't put me off but it makes you realise the seriousness of what she considers 'just doing nails' :biggrin: x

The best advice to give aspiring wannabees is to tell them to get the correct training. Tell her to check out CND and then leave the rest to her. She will do the homework and if she goes for it, then you have inspired someone to take the right path and well done you, if not then I wouldn't worry about it in the least.:cool:

That's the thing ladies she won't have paid for her training she has no training at all for anything!thats the bit that narks me off xx

Well don't worry, if some asked my advice on bio sculpture Then started buying off eBay more fool them! Could be fake products! How will they no what to do if something goes wrong!
Just try and advise her to do the course needed, it's up to her if she dose or not but I no who I'd rather have doing my nails :) x

I had this with my tanning... I never saw any mobile spray tan therapists around, after a year of tanning, every girl I know is doing it.
Even when im spraying some of my clients they say 'Oh I cant wait to learn tanning' etc.
I used to get slightly annoyed but it hasnt affected my business. Alot of them find out its not as easy as it seems and then give up.
Just be happy you got there first as your clients, if they are loyal, will stay with you as youve got experience.
Advise your family member about insurance if she doesnt do legit training she will soon start changing her mind about not doing a course etc x

I do agree in principle with the posts all in agreement with Geeg. But I also understand how it just seems like a bit of a slap in the face coming from a close family member, especially if they live close and are likely to be setting up in competition. Of course nails is not exclusive to anyone but I do see where you're coming from. Try not to let it upset you though, it's very unproductive and won't get anyone anywhere. Nails isn't the breeze people think and it takes someone pretty dedicated to keep at it and work through all the little niggles . . . still if she is passionate about it and keeps at it, you'll maybe have a bosom buddy in the end to swap stories/ideas with and to go to the shows with so it could all be good in the end. :wink2:

Latest posts

Back