Family

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lindag

Reaction score
Bit of a problem,

I am getting married in two years and my Fiancee's sister has started to get me to do her nails but she is only paying be 1/2 price, I never asked for money but I am now feeling that she should pay what I charge because I am fairly cheap as it is. She does nails herself so she knows its not cheap to get the products.

Am I being a cheepscate for looking for full wack or should I just keep my mouth shut and let her pay what she wants as she will be family soon?

:!:

A silly question really..........but why don't you get her to do yours? That way you are even.

Adele

Good idea! Cos even though i do my own nails, it's lovely having someone else do it so you can just sit back and relax! :green:

It takes her nearly two hours to do a full set. I just couldn't sit through that for the gels that she does

lindag said:
Bit of a problem,

Am I being a cheepscate for looking for full wack or should I just keep my mouth shut and let her pay what she wants as she will be family soon?

:!:

My old uncle had a successful business and his moto was "there are no friends in business"

I tell all my friends and family up front "there are no 'mates rates' until I am raking it in and am a bit of a tycoon" except I never get to finish the sentence because they are all agreeing with me and say they wouldn't have it any other way - definitely clears the air with no misunderstandings.

Just my two'penny worth ;)

Personally, i don't mind doing a discount - but i think you must charge, and make sure that they are not taking advantage of you. This sort of thing can be rather tricky though :rolleyes:

I've had the same problem with my friends and family. My best friend I just charge £5 for each set to cover the cost of the product and other friends I knock a few pounds off! Now my mum - she never ever offers to pay me anything. For Christmas I asked my sister's advice if she thought it would sound really bad if I said as a christmas present to my mum I'd do her nails free all year but my sister said that would be bad - so not only did I buy her a present but am still gonna be doing her nails free forever by the looks of it!

Maybe I sound ungrateful - after all she's the person who brought me into this world but I know that if it was my daughter there's no way I'd have her do it for free - I'd at least have to give her the cost of the products!

What makes it even more funny is that I had this sort of conversation with my sister and mum at the beginning of doing nails about charging friends and my mum's attitude was "you're trying to run a business - they can't expect it for free!" so it's weird that she does - obviously just thinks she has more rights to it!

The only special ones l do and that is for love is my Mum and Daughter. Anyone else knows how much the charge is, otherwise you can get other family members saying 'you do so and so's for x amount, why not me' it may seem harsh but we won't make a profit if we are taken advantage of.

I have found, if it's free they don't look after them the way they should, if they had been charged..........
Tell them, you have family rate, it's for the products used and anything left over goes into the learning fund.........Have a set rate if it helps....but make it clear it's at a reduced price but not free..........
But I couldn't imagine charging my Mum or my Daughter.........friends and hangers on yes they pay...........

Nailsinlondon1 said:
I have found, if it's free they don't look after them the way they should, if they had been charged..........
Tell them, you have family rate, it's for the products used and anything left over goes into the learning fund.........Have a set rate if it helps....but make it clear it's at a reduced price but not free..........
But I couldn't imagine charging my Mum or my Daughter.........friends and hangers on yes they pay...........
Ruth.........I just have to say you're looking absolutely delectable these days!

and as for charging friends and family...........how about 20% discount to those very nearest and dearest friends and siblings (and I mean maybe the odd 1 or 2)......but for mum......oh I just couldn't, not after what she's done for me over all these years.

Adele

I normally charge my closest friends less money because i don't feel right making a huge profit from them. So i charge them about half price. As for charging my mother, i would never ever imagine doing that! I think it's really cheap to wanna charge your mother. After all they raised us, clothed us and fed us for years without asking for a penny in return (in most cases anyways!). But then that's just my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back