fan shaped nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pretty&pampered

Reaction score
i recently did a l&p extension to a client nails i hadnt done this before but thought i would give it a go. they werent bad for a first attempt but the problem ihad was that i had to have the liquid quite 'wet' to be able to play about with it but when i took the forms off i had to do a lot of filing to straighten them up again. i used a lot of liquid just in case it cured to quickly but wondered if any one had any tips for next time so i dont have to spend as much time shaping.

Hi Star

Have you tried pinching whilst they cure to give them a better C curve. Also I wouldn't advise working too wet, as your strength will be comprimised. The stronger the C Curve the stronger the nail. You want to work moist, but not so that it's dripping down the form and your having to catch it on your brush and push it back.

Practice as they say!!!

Hiya,
I would try not to work too wet, Because the L&P shrinks as it cures and if product is too wet this can cause pocket lifting.
What problem was it you had with the fan shaped nails ?

star said:
i recently did a l&p extension to a client nails i hadnt done this before but thought i would give it a go. they werent bad for a first attempt but the problem ihad was that i had to have the liquid quite 'wet' to be able to play about with it but when i took the forms off i had to do a lot of filing to straighten them up again. i used a lot of liquid just in case it cured to quickly but wondered if any one had any tips for next time so i dont have to spend as much time shaping.
When using L&P correct ratio is a must for good adhesion, strong nails and no over exposure risks for the client..........

You inject more liquid into your bead by using the flag of the brush, so never wipe your brush in between smoothing and pressing.............

Make sure your form fits snug and is the same shape, as your clients free edge, so it follows the natural c-curve.......you might have to pre-taylor the form so it fits nicely.........use curved scissors for this and cut out a slither from the form...

If you want a slimmer look pinch the c-curve, this takes a bit of practice.....if you do it to soon it will end up squished, if you do it to late you put the nailplate under a lot of pressure and cause nail plate damage.........popping the nail of its rails so to speak..............
gentle but firm pressure where the smile line is, is the pressing point.........

The main problem with most sculpted nails, is not having the form fitted correctly and slightly off centre...........
I check it this way.....if my smile line edge is butted nicely up against the natural nails free edge...it follows the line of the upper arch, so no drop, as this will give you a budgie beak look..and if all my tabs on my performance form line up then I know it's on straight, and I am onto a winner lol..........

How to check on the finished look !!!
Look at the nail from the clients point of view..........from the cuticle end towards the free edge......does it look straight, does it look streamlined.......
Any twists can be seen...........

hope his helps a little

cheers for the advise guys ill try next time she comes. also how do you all manage to do a nice smile line when you sculpt mine were staright rather then nicely smiling at me. any advise is great.

There's a tutorial on smile lines at
paperclip.gif
Million Dollar Smiles

when doin my nvq assessments, jacqui jefford and anne swain were my external verifiers (cant spell!) Anne showed us the best way to put forms on, and how to make the normal square forms fit better.

You fold down one side length ways, in line with the black squares (that u measure the length of nail to be sculpted with) u turn the form round and do the same on the other side so u have like wings, u cut slits on both, in line with the hole you put the nail in (inline with the bit the free edge starts from) (ohh I'm just using such technical words! lol) u then use a pen to roll thye form on to make the c-curve and cut a slit at the top, so u can squeeze the form closer together or have it further apart (depending on the size of clients finger).
Peel off backing and place on to finger (if need be use ure dual tool to push it gently into place) adapt at top to size of finger for a snug fit, then fold down the top sides (that u previously folded and cut) leaving the whole form secured, but without having to press the ends of the form together which can make the nail go into a funny shape.

since she showed us this, i've been doin it this way, my sculpted nails now come out thinner, without anny bulky bits that have seeped under the free edge, and have brilliant shape!

I LOVE YOU ANNE SWAIN! :lol:​

she also said I had the best portfolio she'd seen in ages and it was best in the group, so i love her soooo much! It is so nice when ure really hard work pays off, and u actually get recognised for it!

Latest posts

Back