Fast Set Powders

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cathie!

Reaction score
Hello..

Can anyone tell me the difference between normal and fast set / competition powders, other than the obvious..they set faster!!

I know that some technicians prefer a faster set..Why? What difference does it make to your application?

I feel that I should try these powders...don'y know why but something is telling me to!!

Look forward to hearing from you.

nails@42ndstreet said:
Hello..

Can anyone tell me the difference between normal and fast set / competition powders, other than the obvious..they set faster!!

I know that some technicians prefer a faster set..Why? What difference does it make to your application?

I feel that I should try these powders...don'y know why but something is telling me to!!

Look forward to hearing from you.

Hi Cathie!

Fast set is great when you have your application 'down-pat' (no pun intended! lol) and do not want to have to wait for it to set and/or wait (for white ac to set) before you start with the pink... some traditional set systems actually give too much "working time" for me.... :mad:

Especially for competing- when every second counts- I don't want to have to wait for the product to 'set' so that I can exaggerate the c-curve before starting to sculpt the next nail....

Also for a repair- it's a pain to sculpt & then have to wait for the product to set before you can shape & buff it........... :(

It's really a personal preference-- fast set is definitely FUN but you have to make sure you've got your application down--- it may set before you have shaped it!!

HTH!

Thanks for that Melissa, I'm going to give it a whirl and see how I get on.

I read something about fast set powders aging more quickly that the 'normal' set powders. Is there any truth in this and would it affect a set of salon nails if fast set were your powder of choice?

nails@42ndstreet said:
Thanks for that Melissa, I'm going to give it a whirl and see how I get on.

I read something about fast set powders aging more quickly that the 'normal' set powders. Is there any truth in this and would it affect a set of salon nails if fast set were your powder of choice?

Hi Cathie!

I have never heard of this theory before- of fast set powders (or systems) aging faster! :confused: I myself haven't experienced this- and I use fast set all day long in the salon....

Might be one of those urban legends.........???? :lol:

Thanks Melissa

It is a general rule of thumb that the faster a product sets... the faster it cures... and the faster it ages.
This can also be seen it items like top coats. Quick dry top coats are not as colour stable and long wearing as slower setting top coats.
Its a bit of a trade off: speed for longevity.

Hope this helps

The Nail Geek said:
It is a general rule of thumb that the faster a product sets... the faster it cures... and the faster it ages.
This can also be seen it items like top coats. Quick dry top coats are not as colour stable and long wearing as slower setting top coats.
Its a bit of a trade off: speed for longevity.

Hope this helps

Umm a big OOPS here :o - sorry GMG!! I didn't realize that faster set ages faster.... sorry Cathie :cry: !!! I really didn't mean to give any wrong info... :sad:

I guess maybe the reason I don't experience faster aging with my CND product is because I rebalance (as opposed to just 'fill in' the product) :confused:

Again, sorry about that Sam! I am glad you replied, so now I know the truth! :green:

no prob Melissa, its only a general rule of thumb.... not absolute. ;)

All that said, I do still fancy having a go. Do Creative do fast set poweders, I've read (on here I think) about a fast set liquid comingout later in the year. Will this follow the rule of thumb of faster ageing.

Also, when we talk about faster ageing, does this mean that a client coming back for a regular two weekly rebalance will create more work (generally) because a fast set powder has been used.

What period of time are we talking about when ageing becomes detrimental to the enhancement?

Yes there is a fast set monomer coming out, as far as the 'rule of thumb' I cant comment on yet.

The aging has no bearing on rebalance timings and the aging effects can vary big time between systems. Some will simply loose their vibrant 'pop' to the colour, some will go downright mucky yellow. Brittleness is also a problem with fast setting systems but once again, this is simply a rule of thumb and not an absolute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back