Fast track or college?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lulunz

Reaction score
Hi [emoji112]

I am on a waiting list to join a college which offers 2 full days and 1 evening a week for a year to gain Level 2 NVQ in hairdressing, I think I’ve missed my chance this year so hoping to get signed up early to start 2020.

Whilst browsing and doing a little research I have come across a lady who has a lot of experience and offers a ‘fast track’ 8-10 WEEK ( 1 day a week ) course and at the end you gain a level 2/3 diploma in hairdressing.. my gut instinct is telling me this is a very unrealistic time frame for a complete beginner to actually be able to gain the knowledge to begin a successful career in the hair industry.. she’s also charging the same price as the college course.

Is it unrealistic?

Tia x

I think that sounds extremely ambitious.
So, after 10 days (2 weeks) training, you’d be a level 2 qualified hairdresser?
Thinking back to my training, we had to be assessed and pass 5 different cuts, various colour services, complete a fancy hair up/plaiting/twisting unit etc.

There aren’t enough days to allow for all the assessments let alone learn each skill from scratch and adequate practice. You have to complete each assessment entirely on your own and it includes a proper consultation, shampoo service and blow dry/finish for the cuts and colours. Also, there’s all the written assessments to complete.

I’d be looking for independent reviews and also wanting evidence of actual course accreditation.
It generally has to be either City & Guilds or VTCT.

If it’s just an insurance based accreditation, it’s a complete waste of paper.

I think that sounds extremely ambitious.
So, after 10 days (2 weeks) training, you’d be a level 2 qualified hairdresser?
Thinking back to my training, we had to be assessed and pass 5 different cuts, various colour services, complete a fancy hair up/plaiting/twisting unit etc.

There aren’t enough days to allow for all the assessments let alone learn each skill from scratch and adequate practice. You have to complete each assessment entirely on your own and it includes a proper consultation, shampoo service and blow dry/finish for the cuts and colours. Also, there’s all the written assessments to complete.

I’d be looking for independent reviews and also wanting evidence of actual course accreditation.
It generally has to be either City & Guilds or VTCT.

If it’s just an insurance based accreditation, it’s a complete waste of paper.

Thank you for replying, I did think it sounded unrealistic! I’ll stay away and be patient for the college course to start! [emoji4]

Latest posts

Back