Favorite method of application

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The prefered method of enhancing

• Other... (um... like what did I miss duh?)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Natural nail overlays

Votes: 38 9.8%
  • Sculpting on a form

Votes: 133 34.4%
  • Tip and overlays

Votes: 216 55.8%

• Total voters
Sounds like you need a bit of re-enforcement at the sides of your sculpts.

Actually, I think sculpted nails are in fact stronger because they are 'all of a piece' and have no weak point (where the tip is joined on).

People who say they 'don't get on' with something, generally say it because they can't do it. :D

As soon as we start doing something we are proud of ... we suddenly 'get on with it'! :D

You can make those sidewalls strong and still maintain the illusion of a thin nail by just keeping the free edge thin. You really have to be able to 'see' your product three dimensionally and know where to build in strength and where you don't need it.

When you sculpt with fibreglass for instance, you know you have built in the strength because you have added more than one layer of fibre where strength is needed ... it is a little more difficult to know just how much more product to add when sculpting with L & P. but it comes with experience and time.

Try not to assume that because you are not getting it right ... that it is in fact wrong!! How can that be so when so many technicians sculpt every service and do not experience a backlash of complaint from their clients? Sculpted nails have been around a lot longer than tips my dears... the entire nail industry was built on sculpted nails because there was no such thing as tips!! And, sadly, I remember it!! ;)

If you do not feel confident, then go and get some tuition with an expert. .. you will improve 100% after the experience. Money spent improving yourself is never wasted.

Thanks for that Geeg

Sculpting is definitely something I want to master. As you say, so many of the top teks would scuplt rather than tip and overlay any day - which means they must be durable.

I was thinking about asking some of my long standing regs, if when they lose a nail, would they mind me sculpting a new one. Thought it would give me the practice without worrying about the client coming back with no nails :D

As for training, I'm just waiting for Tracey and Mike to open their new OSNS in Chelmsford and then I'll be their for a 1-1.

Many thanks
Adele

hi adele,
geeg is right, its all about product placement and confidence. remember to build up your stress area on the free edge line as with your tip/overlay and you should be fine. it is a good idea to get some training in sculpting though, youe educator can see exactly how your applying and where you strong and weak points are and take it from there.

good luck with this, i know you'll be fine once you get used to it, i had the same doubts once i started on tips!!!!!

let us know how you get on

antony

Aligirl....You have just described what I have been trying to say for years!!!!!!!!! That cracks me up, but how true.....I mean you would think that paying for a set of nails, they would actually want u to see what your doing!!!!

;) ;) ;)

Fabfabfabfabfabfab......I'm so gonna use that quote!!lollollol

You should copyright it, it's the best!!!

Katxxx[/list][/quote]

Well guys and gals,
My favorite method has got to be Fabric now.
As I can't offer L&P due to health and saftey, I have found the product or the product has found me :thumbsup:
Fabric# is the the alternative L&P for me :sunny:
I pre-blend the tips and then fabri-cate them :goal:
Fabric spells for me...............
FAST, ABSOLUTLY, BRILLANT, IRRESISTABLE, CONCEPT in nail technologie

love Ruth xxxxxxxxxx

Nailsinlondon1 said:
I pre-blend the tips and then fabri-cate them :goal:
Fabric spells for me...............
FAST, ABSOLUTLY, BRILLANT, IRRESISTABLE, CONCEPT in nail technologie

love Ruth xxxxxxxxxx

Come on Ruth, you forgot the R.........
when you say you pre-blend the tips, could you elaborate on that.......
they must still need a certain amount of blending once on the nail???????

FAST, ABSOLUTLY, BRILLANT,RADICAL, IRRESISTABLE, CONCEPT in nail technologie

No, I pre blend the tips the way the Nail Geek has shown it and no I just light blend in the sides, more of a shaping then blending, Like buff over the Tips and they are done...........................
They have the minutest contact area, and as the strength is in the product, they work fab...........................

A bit pf practice and bobs your uncle , or Sams Brush lol

Love Ruth xxx

Lost the link for that Pre-blending post, Sam you still got the piccies ????

I have to agree with the majority, sculpting is what I find easiest...at the mo I only use Bio Sculpture but I hope to do my Creative 4 day foundation next year when I get some more holidays from work....have used up this years entitlement on a 3 week trip to Orlando in October 8)

I prefer tip and overlay because the tips look better as they get longer. I am so used to this now that i believe it's easier than sculpting - all that messin with forms :?

Aligirl said:
Argh! I know what you mean Jane; it drives me crazy when clients do that. Someone was talking about this once (might've been Marti Preuss, not sure) and she said she had a sign on the wall that read: 'If you can see your nails, then I can't - and right now you're paying me to look at them!'

I think it was Barb Nailsplash.......

I know I am only a newbie - but at the moment that is definitely my favourite. They always seem to look better than the tip and overlays.

I've only just learnt to sculpt, but it's a lot less scary than i first imagined, can't wait till i get really confident with it!! :D

Mrs Geek said:
THAT is an awsome quote!!! I love it!!! :thumbsup:
I LOVE THAT QUOTE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :green: :lol: :) :idea:

Sculpts for me too!!!

It´s also the idea that you´ve done it all :green: that counts for me!
I don´t think that for a longer lenght of enhancements, tips would give a nicer look thou. Only if you would compare a ´shitty ´set of sculpts with a fabulous set of tips and overlay.
With this I´m not trying to say that all my sets look fabulous. It all starts with picking out the right tips or forms for your client and the look you want to achieve.

I just can't decide - I love it all. I have days where I want to sculpt. Other days I feel like tipping. It's the same with the product. I mostly prefer l& p, but it depends on how I'm feeling. Sometimes I love pink & white - other days I hope for a client who wants colour gels!

It's all just so lovely and satisfying.

The only thing I will say is that I can't use forms on my own nails - any ideas anyone?? I get in a real pickle.

I must say i love tips and overlay - i am going to practice some more on the sculpting before i offer it as a service to my clients.

But as so many of you prefer sculpting i now feel like i'm missing out on something!!!

Jenn

I must say i love tips and overlay - i am going to practice some more on the sculpting before i offer it as a service to my clients.

But as so many of you prefer sculpting i now feel like i'm missing out on something!!!

Jenn

oops! didn't mean to post it twice! :)

Jenn

please help I just can't get the hang of sculpting. I can't even get the forms to stay on properly this seams to be the biggest hurdle at the moment I'm sure once I get that right the rest wont be so hard. Any hints and tips would be much appreciated. THANKS!

Check out the Super Sonic Sculpting Tutorial...............
I love the CND performance forms....... they make it easy.......
Well it also helps if the client doesn't hold their finger like a dead spider...........or the ones that try to help you and when the form goes on ,their finger goes up lol.....sometimes it helps to make them look the other way lol.........
Practice makes perfect ..........

Latest posts

Back