FB page! Are people seeing your posts?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Btw...just had a look and your page looks great! I don't think you need to worry too much about views. People will be looking, fb just doesn't always let you know and generally with pages people look but not comment, they're called "Lurchers" lol xx

You haven't said anything incorrect, I'm just saying that you don't need to stress yourself with it :)
Ok, if people click on 'get notifications' it means that when you post they get a little number 1 on the icon at the top of the page(where you get told that someone has commented on your status etc..) telling them you have posted but its then up to them to click on the notification to see the post.
BUT it also makes the post less likely to come up on there news feed (I've found this with pages that I've clicked on get notifications for.) and they generally get annoyed with the notifications and so are less likely to look at your page.
So in effect it has a negative outcome generally.
You are best putting engaging type posts on your page and letting them do the work for you.
There's a thread on here pictures/quotations for Facebook that is really good.

I hope this helps xx

Thanks for your help, I really do appreciate it but can you clear one other thing up for me pls? You say "less likely to come up on there news feed" Im under the impression it wont come up on there new feed, unless it was a main page and not a biz page linked :confused: Am I over thinking stuff? I just want as many ppl as possible to see my posts, if they dont see them they wont book :confused:

Btw...just had a look and your page looks great! I don't think you need to worry too much about views. People will be looking, fb just doesn't always let you know and generally with pages people look but not comment, they're called "Lurchers" lol xx

Aw, thanks :lol:

Thanks for your help, I really do appreciate it but can you clear one other thing up for me pls? You say "less likely to come up on there news feed" Im under the impression it wont come up on there new feed, unless it was a main page and not a biz page linked :confused: Am I over thinking stuff? I just want as many ppl as possible to see my posts, if they dont see them they wont book :confused:

Ok, as an example... If you only had 3 friends and liked 1 page, you will see everything those friends and that page posts. You will probably also see everything your friends comment on and like.

If you have 750 friends and like 400 pages you will probably only see status's from around 25 of your friends, posts from about 10 of the pages, plus a load of random stuff that you friends like, sponsored posts and games.

If you click on get notifications for 'cute puppy' and 'johns flower shop' you will then get posts from other different pages but as you get notifications from 'cute puppy' and 'johns flower shop', facebook won't need to show you the posts on your feed, but will instead show new posts from other pages.

Sorry it's very hard to explain but I hope you are with me so far?!

If you then get notifications saying
'Cute puppy' has changed their name
'Cute puppy' has updated their status
'Cute puppy' has added a picture
'Cute puppy' had added info

You're gonna be sick of cute puppy, block it from your Facebook and become a cat lover!!

If people regularly engage in your posts, which it looks like they do from looking at your page, then your posts are more likely to come up on their news feed.
You have lots of likes and comments on your posts so you don't need to force feed your likers as they are clearly interested already.

I hope this all makes sense, I'm rubbish at explaining Facebook stuff, extensionize did it sooo much better! X

yeah, is it says 160 saw your post then they will have - but if you have 500 likers then surely most should see it? The ppl that have clicked on "get notifications" will see every post but only a very small amount of ppl actually do that. So, you dont have a personal fb page on one page for your biz?

Hi, I do have a personal page - it's just not me on it. I have used a different name etc. A friend of mine has set his personal page so that if you click on him, it goes straight to his business page - don't know how to do that!!! I wouldn't mind that, I just don't want clients as friends lol!!!

Thanks Jigglyb4ll :) though I did chuckle when you said the hangers-around were called "lurchers", I think you meant "lurkers". I'd be in a world of trouble for calling people on my Facebook page dogs :)

Two quick points though I'd like to add.

1. Don't get hung on the metrics/numbers. the only thing that matters for a Facebook business page is the effect is having on your turnover. You could have 100,00 views on a story, but if it's not going to affect your business then it's irrelevant. You could have another story with 50 views, but if that leads to 10 people ringing you to book in. Then it's performed better.

Make a story relevant (they don't want to know what you're having for tea- it's not a personal page) make it useful (give tips, advice, give them offers) and THEN give them a "call to action", tell them what to do with that information, either by phoning you, emailing you or posting on the page itself.

2. Facebook isn't a magic bullet. It's a multi-bilion pound business, and they don't make that money by giving away too much for free. There is a limit to what you can achieve before you have to start paying for stuff. Anyone putting all their eggs into one basket with Facebook (which is tempting because its free and its firing all these big numbers at you) is making a big mistake. It HAS to be part of a "marketing mix".

p.s. Make sure the page itself looks good- we're in the aestethics business afterall.

p.p.s This is my FB page- I update it daily with examples of my work, advice, links to my email marketing newsletters, allsorts. https://www.facebook.com/VerveDesigns

Last edited:
Haha yes lurkers!
Thank you :)

And some brilliant points made too xx

Ok, as an example... If you only had 3 friends and liked 1 page, you will see everything those friends and that page posts. You will probably also see everything your friends comment on and like.

If you have 750 friends and like 400 pages you will probably only see status's from around 25 of your friends, posts from about 10 of the pages, plus a load of random stuff that you friends like, sponsored posts and games.

If you click on get notifications for 'cute puppy' and 'johns flower shop' you will then get posts from other different pages but as you get notifications from 'cute puppy' and 'johns flower shop', facebook won't need to show you the posts on your feed, but will instead show new posts from other pages.

Sorry it's very hard to explain but I hope you are with me so far?!

If you then get notifications saying
'Cute puppy' has changed their name
'Cute puppy' has updated their status
'Cute puppy' has added a picture
'Cute puppy' had added info

You're gonna be sick of cute puppy, block it from your Facebook and become a cat lover!!

If people regularly engage in your posts, which it looks like they do from looking at your page, then your posts are more likely to come up on their news feed.
You have lots of likes and comments on your posts so you don't need to force feed your likers as they are clearly interested already.

I hope this all makes sense, I'm rubbish at explaining Facebook stuff, extensionize did it sooo much better! X

No! you have explained it brilliantly - thank you sooomuch for taking the time to explain it to me (and many otheres on here too)'

Ill stick with it :hug:

Thanks Jigglyb4ll :) though I did chuckle when you said the hangers-around were called "lurchers", I think you meant "lurkers". I'd be in a world of trouble for calling people on my Facebook page dogs :)

Two quick points though I'd like to add.

1. Don't get hung on the metrics/numbers. the only thing that matters for a Facebook business page is the effect is having on your turnover. You could have 100,00 views on a story, but if it's not going to affect your business then it's irrelevant. You could have another story with 50 views, but if that leads to 10 people ringing you to book in. Then it's performed better.

Make a story relevant (they don't want to know what you're having for tea- it's not a personal page) make it useful (give tips, advice, give them offers) and THEN give them a "call to action", tell them what to do with that information, either by phoning you, emailing you or posting on the page itself.

2. Facebook isn't a magic bullet. It's a multi-bilion pound business, and they don't make that money by giving away too much for free. There is a limit to what you can achieve before you have to start paying for stuff. Anyone putting all their eggs into one basket with Facebook (which is tempting because its free and its firing all these big numbers at you) is making a big mistake. It HAS to be part of a "marketing mix".

p.s. Make sure the page itself looks good- we're in the aestethics business afterall.

p.p.s This is my FB page- I update it daily with examples of my work, advice, links to my email marketing newsletters, allsorts. https://www.facebook.com/VerveDesigns

Yes, I was going to get some nice price lists made up and maybe attach a 20% off voucher to it. Iv liked your page already, are you printing the items again yet?

If you like, you could have a peek at my page and give me some pointers ;-)

Facebook do NOT want a business set up as a profile with friends and if they find you set up like this they can just delete you account. No warning, your account and all those friends just gone with no way to get it back.

Business are supposed to be set up as pages that require likes.

As you have now discovered through this thread you need to keep posting things that require interaction from your clients/likers so that their friends will then see your post and like it & so on & so on.

Facebook do NOT want a business set up as a profile with friends and if they find you set up like this they can just delete you account. No warning, your account and all those friends just gone with no way to get it back.

Business are supposed to be set up as pages that require likes.

As you have now discovered through this thread you need to keep posting things that require interaction from your clients/likers so that their friends will then see your post and like it & so on & so on.

:eek: OMG! Never knew that - do you know why that is? Yup, going to stick with my page - thanks again guys :hug:

:eek: OMG! Never knew that - do you know why that is? Yup, going to stick with my page - thanks again guys :hug:
The same reason your NOT allowed to do competitions where people like your page, where you name the winner on your profile (or theirs), why any competition you do has to be open to anyone (not just likers) and you MUST inform the winner privatley by email or PM. Making the whole thing pointless in my opinion.

STUPID RULES.

Facebook

I have found this thread so useful!

I am just starting out, and a friend of mine helped me set up a bsuienss page. I've got to be honest, I was getting a bit diss heartended to see 40 odd likes on my page, so I was about to set up a page like my personal page where I could add friends, but under my business name - now I know not to!!

Thanks for the advice.

I guess I just need to keep plugging away at the biz page. I keep posting pictures of the hair I'm using, before and after pics.....

Does anybody have any suggestions of other good pics to put on or engaging status's?

I offer Hair Extensions and lash extensions

Before & after pics work brill! Definitely the way to go.

I have also seen somewhere that text is shared by fb more than pictures although I'm not sure how true this is...?

The same reason your NOT allowed to do competitions where people like your page, where you name the winner on your profile (or theirs), why any competition you do has to be open to anyone (not just likers) and you MUST inform the winner privatley by email or PM. Making the whole thing pointless in my opinion.

STUPID RULES.

Facebook

VERY STUPID!
seems like iv broke a few rules then :Scared:

Facebook can and DO just delete a page or an account if they find you breaking the rules so be warned (& you can not get it back).

They say ignorance is no excuse as the rules are there and not hard to find if you look for them.

I hate the stupid rules but I follow them :rolleyes: as I want my business to have a facebook presence.

Latest posts

Back