Fears of a wax virgin!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EllaX

Reaction score
Hi all!! I'm not a skin geek - so thought this was best place to ask.

I've never had any waxing done before - but tonight in preparation for my hols on friday I'm having everything done. Underarm, bikini and 1/2 leg.

Any tips/advice on what to expect cos I'm a bit of a wimp (waxing maybe wasn't my brighest idea, i just thought it saved messing about with shaving on hols). Do i just shower and turn up?

Really frightened as everyone i spoke to says you bleed after esp after having your underarms waxed? Although i have never heard this until now, surely it can't be that bad though or people wouldn't have it done?! or is it??

Legs I think I should be ok with. Its just under arm and bikini I'm dreading.
Am I panicking over nothing? Or is it as painful as they say? xxx

Hi Rach,

Well, I hate to tell you, but it's true. Hurts like a bast*rd !!!! :lol:

OK, so I'm winding you a bit, but I'm not going to lie. Getting waxed does hurt. How much depends on the individual and the experience of the person performing the waxing.

Bleeding under the arm and bikini line can be quite common, so be prepared that this might happen (especially your first time). Chances are, your underarms will feel really swollen and sore for a couple of days after, but this will go away.

GOOD LUCK !!

Marlise

Oh great..... why do i do these things to myself!! Especially when I haven't a bery good pain barrier!! Cheers for that Marlise it was honest answers i wanted!! xx

Rach, take a painkiller an hour before your appt, it will help.
When the therapist tells you to pull skin taut, do it, that will also help.
As long as you are going to someone experienced you probably won't find it as painful as you think.
You won't necessarily bleed, it doesn't happen to everyone, just the odd few.
It will hurt for a second and then its over.
I tend to talk to wax virgins a lot during their treatment to keep their minds off it a bit.
Have a fab holiday.

just do the painkiller thing and try to keep your mind off it. also when they say pull the skin do it even to the point of it beiong sore believe me it hurts less for the waxing. you will be fine just if you feel sore after a cold compress will help loads but the therapist will/should go thru this with you

Bleeding can happen although that sounds an awful lot worse that it is in reality. It's actually tiny little blood spots that you may get.

I have fairly dense growth and I will get only 2 or 3 spots. So like I said it sounds a lot worse than it is!!

Good advice about taking some painkillers before hand though. (Or a couple of gins!:lol:)

Good luck and let us know how it goes.:hug:

Best of luck! It does hurt but just keep thinking of the end result, you'll be able to ditch the razor on holiday and not have to worry! Have a fab time x

hi i was a bikini wax virgin in march and was dreading it. it wasn't what i expected at all it didn't hurt like i thought it would but then again it wasn't a walk in the park.

the women that did mine was very nice and didn't stop talking to me which was funny because as i was talking back she would rip away and my speech went a bit funny every time she did it.

i didn't feel uncomfortable at all. which i was little bit worried about and she said she would just keep talking a bit away until i was happy. i wanted a nice little strip but didn't want to ask for that then decided ouch i'll just have a tidy up LOL:lol:.

as for bleeding i didn't not at all but the one thing i will say i was glad it was only needed for a weekend away because after 4 days i could see little fine hairs back again.

i did say i would continue now every 4 weeks or so but as yet i haven't been brave enough to go back.
what a wimp i am.

Won't lie to you chick, underarm does hurt and yes, you may get some blood spotting. My daughter will not have her legs waxed as she says it kills, but will happily have her bikini line done.

As other have said, take a pain killer an hour before treatment, tell your therapist that it is your first time and you are nervous and no doubt she will talk away to you to ease your tension. The more tense you are, the more it will hurt. Try and relax - you'll be fine.

I would just say, make sure you get an experienced waxer. I really dont find it hurts that much, more of a slight sting but most people do say it hurts so I guess it depends on your pain threshold. You dont know what your is until you try. I have never been swollen and have only a few spots of blood very occasionally, so you may be lucky (and I even do my own!)
Good luck, you will be fine x:hug:x

You will be fine, take pain killers like has already been said,
i do most of my own waxing, i wouldn't say it is a painful hurt it is more of a sting that stops as soon as the wax strip has been ripped off, you wont get masses of bleeding just the odd little spot or two which is normal,
honestly the thought of it is far worse than having it done.
Have a nice holiday hun.

it does hurt but the pain is very short

you will be fine just try not to think about it too much

take a couple of painkillers about 1-2 hours before your appointment

when you are on that couch think nice, happy thoughts

Have a look at this link everybody who finds waxing painful:
No Scream Cream
It's for a product called no scream cream, it's fantastic you put it on the area to be waxed 30-45 mins before your treatment and it stops it being so painful! We have just got it in the salon I work at and it's flying out of the doors!
HTH
xx:hug:xx

Everyone's pain tolerance is different. Most people actually find legs to be more painful than underarms or bikini line. A little minor spot blood is normal for a first wax, but when the tech apply's after wax lotion, there should be no signs of blood. Underarms and bikini line should not be swollen if has been done properly. Perhaps a little tender, but that should be about it. Take a couple of ibuprofen if you are really that worried, but really, it isn't nearly as bad as people tend to make it out to be. My 12 year old daughter gets her eyebrows, legs and underarms done and she can handle it just fine..... You'll be fine.

Personally I think everybody has a spot that hurts the worst, for me it's the lip, but it's all over so quick, I don't think it's painful at all, only a brazillian when you haven't done it for ages:eek:

If you haven't shaved in a while in the bikini area then have a good trim. . if the hairs are long and the therapist doesnt trim (she should ) then it will hurt more.

Thanx everyone!!!

Well i had it done last night (took the painkillers before hand) told her I was really scared and a wimp but it wasn't half as bad as expected/feared - she did my legs first, then underarms then bikini - my leg was shaking when she did the very first strip, but after she'd done it I thought ooh its not that bad. Yeah it hurt a bit but the pain soon went down. She was very quick which was good.

I think i talked her to death though with my nerves - I waffle when i'm nervous. I now looked like a plucked chicken!!

Admiration for all you waxing geeks though - you do a good job!! Something I couldn't do! xx

Thanx everyone!!!

Well i had it done last night (took the painkillers before hand) told her I was really scared and a wimp but it wasn't half as bad as expected/feared - she did my legs first, then underarms then bikini - my leg was shaking when she did the very first strip, but after she'd done it I thought ooh its not that bad. Yeah it hurt a bit but the pain soon went down. She was very quick which was good.

I think i talked her to death though with my nerves - I waffle when i'm nervous. I now looked like a plucked chicken!!

Admiration for all you waxing geeks though - you do a good job!! Something I couldn't do! xx

Now dont forget to exfoliate and moisturise to keep away ingrowns.

and dont forget the1st time is always the worst , after that it seems to be a lot less painful :green:

Latest posts

Back