Fed up and pregnant - is it worth it?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarah_clancy

Reaction score
34 weeks pregnant... Ended up in hospital yesterday thought baby was on its way.
Lots of pain, lots of stress...
Lots of angry clients!

I bend over backwards for my clients and get no thanks in return... Just "so can you still do my hair today?!"

I've finally come to realise I am NOT super women, and have to slow down. And I know that I'm going to have to wind down sooner then expected, so that means letting people down and probably losing a few customers!

I'm not planning on having too much time off... About 7/8 weeks!

How did having a baby affect your businesses?

I'm 3 years in and I feel my business is peaking, have had an influx of new clients that I cannot fit in sadly... I guess it's Sod's law!

Thanks for reading... Look forward to hearing your replies and stories! X x

I personally dont have any children but, some people are so selfish and they only think of themselves!

With you being close to your due date you need to slow down and start being selfish yourself and think of you & your baby. At the end of the day thats what matters!

I'm sure your loyal clients will understand & come back to you! They'll be dying to hear about your little baby!

So stop panicking and enjoy your last weeks of being pregnant! x

I loooove doing hair. But when I got pregnant I was so sick I couldnt stop puking! Then when I had her she cried night and day from her sensitive stomach. I had to give up hair for yrs because there was always something. But thats just me. I know its a lot easier for some.

Do you know what put the women's cause back more than anything else?
Might it have been female circumcision? Religious/secular discrimination?
Nope.
It was the nit wit who first posited the theory that women can "have it all". And then the media who jumped on this particularly odious bandwagon.

Very few of us can have it all. For the vast majority something has to give; you just can't be the perfect wife, mother, business woman, friend. Not without a great deal of support and money.

Your business will need to take a back seat for a while. Unpalatable idea? Not nearly so unpalatable as the alternative which would put both yours and your baby's health in jeopardy.

Be prepared to lose some clients. Your priority is your baby.

Enjoy the rest of your pregnancy!

It is great that your business is peaking at year three! Congratulations! You and your pregnancy come first. What my husband always says to me is "don't lose sight of the fact it is your business, you say what goes".

People are always going to get the hump and I think you have to do what is best for you. You may lose some clients but ultimately they will probably realise how much they like you and come back.

My hairdresser cancelled quite a few times recently due to health issues. She had breast cancer last year so a little more conscious about her health but I guess I could empathise as my husband had cancer last year and also the fact things happen beyond our control.

Unfortunately some people are quite selfish and unsympathetic!

You do what is best for you and baby, like I said you may lose clients but I guess that is how busness is, people come, people go!

Take care x

I have 4 children and was self employed during all the pregnancies bar the first one.

Still self employed now and my business is fine , it survived vomiting bugs, chicken pox, teething etc.

A healthy mammy and baby are more important than anything else in the world, just you wait till that baby is handed to you, you'll think you heart will actually burst with love and desire to protect , you know ''don't mess with a lioness and her cubs''? That applies to mammies too:D..............you'll be like...hair ? what hair?
Rest you'll need it.

Enjoy

I agree with with all of the above and especially Rinn. As soon as that baby comes you will automatically stop fretting about the business and become obsessed with the baby. You won't give a toss if you lose a few clients. Your maternal instinct will kick in and you'll put baby first.

But before baby comes, please make sure you take some time out. You're not going to get much sleep in the first few months so try and rest up as much as you can now. Be ruthless and cut your hours down. If clients don't like the idea just tell them you're fully booked. I still do that now when I need a day of rest.

Thank you ladies....

Your replies were so nice to hear!

I feel like I have to please everyone - I don't get any thanks in return!

All my new potential clients I've just sent a really nice email how as much as I'd love to fit them in but my health is more important atm, but send me your number and ill send a text once I'm fit and ready again!

Now for the existing clients that I'm gunna have to cancel.... I'm freaking out!

:( xxx

I have 4 children and was self employed during all the pregnancies bar the first one.

Still self employed now and my business is fine , it survived vomiting bugs, chicken pox, teething etc.

A healthy mammy and baby are more important than anything else in the world, just you wait till that baby is handed to you, you'll think you heart will actually burst with love and desire to protect , you know ''don't mess with a lioness and her cubs''? That applies to mammies too:D..............you'll be like...hair ? what hair?
Rest you'll need it.

Enjoy

Hair what hair...... Oh boy I can't wait to mutter those words!

My life just revolves around hair.
It makes me feel so selfish I have a 3.5yo boy too!

What makes the perfect life balance?

Money isn't everything, but I become so obsessed because I didn't have a pot to p*ss in just after he was born, and I swore never to go back there! X

Nope.
It was the nit wit who first posited the theory that women can "have it all". And then the media who jumped on this particularly odious bandwagon.

Very few of us can have it all. For the vast majority something has to give; you just can't be the perfect wife, mother, business woman, friend. Not without a great deal of support and money.

Your business will need to take a back seat for a while. Unpalatable idea? Not nearly so unpalatable as the alternative which would put both yours and your baby's health in jeopardy.

Thank you Lynne..... I always use to think it was possible!

But my body is really telling me NO right now, and I'm not bothered about losing money either, just upsetting clients!

But the loyal nice ones won't care right?! X

My hairdresser was rushed into hospital for possible Pre-eclampsia so we cancelled or moved her column around whilst she was monitored (until we knew more) One of her 'regulars' popped in asking for a trim so I explained, she was so rude & so selfish that I offered to run her up to the hospital so the hairdresser could do a dry trim whilst she was being monitored surprisingly enough she saw the sarcasm & did eventually apologise!!!

My hairdresser was rushed into hospital for possible Pre-eclampsia so we cancelled or moved her column around whilst she was monitored (until we knew more) One of her 'regulars' popped in asking for a trim so I explained, she was so rude & so selfish that I offered to run her up to the hospital so the hairdresser could do a dry trim whilst she was being monitored surprisingly enough she saw the sarcasm & did eventually apologise!!!

LOL wow what are people like hey!
Unbelievable!
I need to find a local reliable mobiley to trust with my clients... But don't really know of many with the passion I seem to have..xx

Not about being pregnant.. But one of the girls where I used to work had a regular every week for a blowdry and her nan had passed away so she had the day off suddenly. We rang her clients as she was very busy most of them were understanding, sent their best wishes but not this one regular blowdry! 'So is there still going to be someone available to blowdry my hair or not?' Jesus is that all she could think about! People are sooo self centered

When my hairdressing friend was pregnant she was about 30 weeks and suffering from stomach pains at work.

I called the docs in front of her waiting client and was told to take her straight there - when I apologised to the customer (although she had heard me on the phone) she asked "When will she be able to do my hair?"

How about never I felt like saying! People are so rude sometimes!

You take as much time off as you need/can afford and most importantly enjoy your family.

Remember those that mind don't matter and those who matter won't mind.

Good luck xx

Nope.

Wise and true words there. I don't have kids so can't say much except health comes first, with out good health we can't do anything to the best of our ability. Hope you are ok xxx

Latest posts

Back