"Fed up" owners group

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RED STAR

Reaction score
It has been suggested a 'Fed up owners' group might be a good idea.
We could 'vent', or even 'rant' from time to time...
Discussing the real problems and issues regarding the running of a business in an honest way with fellow salon owners, without the nonsense.
...."we're busy all of the time, and our staff and client's love EVERYTHING we do......" :rolleyes:

I'll start the ball rolling......it's a Saturday, me and 2 staff......ONE CLIENT!!!! o_O

Oops I think that suggestion might have come from me [emoji85][emoji23] and yes I would be on here all the time if I had a fed up owners group [emoji106].
I actually had quite a nice day today with very nice pleasant clients, why can't all days be like that eh !
Sorry to hear you had a quiet day red star !
We had a reasonably quiet week as I think it's a combo of schools back, people's holidays are over and they are skint etc.

This week has been super quiet for me too, but plenty of time to get organising few events...
...in the other side, does any of you have charity workers/sellers come in and ask for money and vouchers all the time?? And then getting stinky looks if I don't buy stone tortoises or toy mice... It is getting to the point that it would cost £50-£100 a week if give everyone for some money... + our salon is organising McMillans coffee morning, then breast cancer October...just can't do it all.

I'm a fed up owner... Been working too hard latley and have burnt out... I feel crap tbh, here goes... I need an employee but I'm too scared to employ incase this madness calms back down... I had a hairdresser client bully me into doing something I diddnt want to and it went wrong and it's all MY fault of course... I'm shitting myself somethings gonna start going round on social media as a result... I have salons locally stalking me... In a good way apparently but still, go away its wiered... I've worked 10 weeks and had 1 day at home in all that time... Zero support at home... Loads of things I need to discuss with a business type persons but haven't made a list so it's all buzzing round in my head... I could go on forever

Overworked & underpaid!

We have been quiter this week. I find it hard at home talking about business ideas, as well. I keep getting told " your always going on about work" It sometimes feels as if your completely on your own working all these hours, trying to keep the business going and if ideas or things don't go that well then it's all your fault!
And don't get me started on clients!! Had nightmare ones today! really hard work! Think they forget that your a beauty therapist and just see the therapist in the title and dump all their problems on you during treatments then leave! All too much today!

I agree , I have one friend who is close enough as a mate who is in this industry and also secure enough to discuss business ideas with. Many people are not honest or don't like helping too much due to having an alternative plan!

[emoji85]
I've had it good busy recently. And mostly nice clients!

Just got a self employed stylist in. And I'm 85% sure she's pregnant. Not that she's told me... [emoji106]

Can I join this club too please! Had the quietest week in ages but busy today and came in with water all over the floor and dripping through ceiling cos builders in flat above had disturbed an old pipe so now ceilings and one piece of wallpaper all need redoing! Couldn't let anyone use the sunbed as would have been a health and safety risk and it seemed like all the clients were 10-15 mins late today!
think it's been quieter cos everyone has got back into normal routine after summer and finances are probably low so people are hanging on. Got our 1st Xmas eve booking today though so good job during one of my quiet spells I updated the diary with the Xmas opening hours! I also need someone else but am just at the stage where I am actually making some profit and if I Employ someone else it is such a worry to ensure I can continue to pay us all during quieter spells. None of the colleges have any apprentices as more kids are staying on at school although someone asked today about a college work experience placement on a Friday so that could be a help but lately just can't find anyone decent so will have to give her a trial and see what she's like! Would rather work harder then employ the Wrong person but I'm sick of spending my Sunday's doing nothing but housework.
Think we should direct all the newbie potential "I want to open a salon" threads to this one so they can see what life is like once your living the dream lol!

[emoji85]
I've had it good busy recently. And mostly nice clients!

Just got a self employed stylist in. And I'm 85% sure she's pregnant. Not that she's told me... [emoji106]
How are you doing your s.e stylist grace, flat rate or commission? I have someone possibly interested in doing lash and brow treatments which there is a demand for but I don't want to employ her as then those takings would def. push me into the vat bracket which I'm not ready for yet so would only consider a rent a chair at the mo.

I agree , I have one friend who is close enough as a mate who is in this industry and also secure enough to discuss business ideas with. Many people are not honest or don't like helping too much due to having an alternative plan!
I agree you have to be so selective who you talk about your business too don't you! I have a couple of good ones tho luckily, a few are members on here :)

I agree that stylists have no idea what the reality is of actually being an owner !
All the worry but not always much more money.
Anytime staff need holidays, maternity, sick leave, bereavement leave or have to leave in an emergency we need to cover or sort it out , you NEVER switch off, you are responsible for everything that you do AND what THEY do , if they have an off day it's us that get slagged off and pay for it and our reputation that's ruined not theirs.
I still love my job but after 20 years of c&@p I have fallen out of love with being an owner.
Don't get me started on social media , a great tool when the goings good but yes if anything doesn't go to plan people are straight on there with half truths about their experience all gained to get massive sympathy and attention for themselves and they couldn't give a stuff if it closes you down.
I would say if you see anything on social media running you down that you should respond professionally at all times in defence of yourself so you can show that you take your job seriously but be very careful what you say in case it can be used against you.
EVERY salon has these clients and yes it is very stressful.
Also though people forget and move on to the next topic quite quickly too so sometimes if it's something mild it's just best to ignore.
I saw a fb thread once from a local salon that defended themselves but not very professionally ended in a back and fore slanging match with all the friends joining in, didn't really show the business in a good light although the girl involved was a local girl known for doing this.
Sometimes it's best not to draw anymore attention to it if it can't be shut down quickly.
With Charity collections yes it's hard as you can't give to every single one, probably best to just say that you have designated charities that you support and so you are not able to support anymore at this time, it's hard because it's always in front of clients.
We are lucky in that we don't get too many so I tend to give very small amounts to each one but we have also had bogus ones around and so I never want to commit to too much to ones that walk in off the street.

Not so much fed up as knackered. However, what is it they say? Sometimes you don't realise how much worse it can be!

So we're doing well. Busy. So busy. I have my daughter full time who earns well and a part timer on minimum wage who is lovely. We're just beginning to see the fruits of our labour. We're all pretty much fully booked and I need to take a little step back and work on rather than in the business. I was feeling rather pleased with myself. We also bought a new machine in April so this quarters VAT return meant the VAT man owed me money so all good. Then out of the blue I've been summonsed for jury service. After a moment of "ooh fun" I realised the phenomenal impact this could have on my business.

Naive clients told me " you will get paid". Ooh minimum wage - they won't pay any dividends and no one generates money when I'm not here. I had filled my form in accepting my fate and sealed the envelope. I then put it on salon owners networking group and was advised to apply for an excusal. I did and I got it. So now I'm over the moon that I can go to work.

I'm trying to be positive about the next three months now that I'm not sitting in a court. So my thoughts now are that I'm super grateful for the fact that my business won't be annihilated by jury service.

I find there are a few networking groups and Facebook groups and here that give great help and support if you can filter out the really annoying ones and those trying to sell their "advice". Good luck to us all x

So pleased I have found this thread, I love my job as a therapist and salon owner but this week has been awful, very busy for all of us which is good but had a bad review which was completely un deserved but can only respond in a professional manner to , just feel this week whatever you do it's not quite enough!! Sorry rant over will now try to offer constructive comments going forward.

How are you doing your s.e stylist grace, flat rate or commission? I have someone possibly interested in doing lash and brow treatments which there is a demand for but I don't want to employ her as then those takings would def. push me into the vat bracket which I'm not ready for yet so would only consider a rent a chair at the mo.
I followed NHF recommendation and did both.

I charge £15 a day for the actual space. Then 15% for a service charge. Use of equipment, teas, towels etc.

I followed NHF recommendation and did both.

I charge £15 a day for the actual space. Then 15% for a service charge. Use of equipment, teas, towels etc.
Thanks. I had thought it was a no no to do both but I am a member of NHF so will download their contract before I go ahead with anything.

I would keep it really simple, and I think it's totally different with hair, but I would look at just renting the space out. If her treatments are different to what you offer, I wouldn't blur the lines with rent and percentage, I'd just do rent. It means you're guaranteed an income and you know what it'll be and she buys and supplies all her own products.

Vic x

I need to sit down and have a coffee and a rant with some of you guys. So fed thinking of selling up! Employees!![emoji35][emoji35]

I need to sit down and have a coffee and a rant with some of you guys. So fed thinking of selling up! Employees!![emoji35][emoji35]

Oh no !
What's happened ?

Just a combination of things, lots of sick days being one of them. But had staff training today for 3 hrs, admittedly on their day off but I don't often ask them to come in and I struggle to find a slot in the week to book in training. It had been booked in for months and I get a text at 10pm last night to say she's not coming in, it's just the lack of respect and bad attitude that is getting me down, don't honestly know how to deal with it!

I would keep it really simple, and I think it's totally different with hair, but I would look at just renting the space out. If her treatments are different to what you offer, I wouldn't blur the lines with rent and percentage, I'd just do rent. It means you're guaranteed an income and you know what it'll be and she buys and supplies all her own products.

Vic x
Yes I would def. rather go down the rent only option. Trouble is people want something for nothing and I'm not prepared to let her rent a chair for peanuts when I'm shelling out a fortune each month for rent & business rates otherwise it's not worth the aggro. I am happy to do a discounted rate for the first 2 months while they get going but it has to be an agreement that benefits us both. Saying that we haven't even met properly to discuss it as she couldn't make any of the times I suggested so I'm waiting for her to get back in touch!

Latest posts

Back