Fed up with the lack of organisation and not knowing my rights!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kirstie-b

Reaction score
Hey all
This is a bit of a rant but I'm also confused on where I stand and whether I have any rights to deal with this.
I have worked for my boss for approx 6 years I would go as far to say I'm a loyal employee, she has 2 other salons but frankly the lack organisation within the company is shameful.
I am the manager of one of these branches whilst she isn't here so 4 days a week. The two other managers salary from the other two salons is higher than mine about £25 so that is quite a remarkable amount of money to someone in my situation. Their is also another stylist who's hourly rate is much higher than mine. Now the only reason I can think why this might be us because I'm younger than them.
I'm also not sure what my hourly rate is as we don't get payslips!
Basically what I'm asking is do you think I should confront my boss about this or stay quiet?
Sorry if it's a but confusing but i'm getting quite frustrated about that fact that this doesn't seem fair
Kirstie x

if u dont have a pay slip then u may not be getting ure national insurance paid or tax, do u have a contract?

You need to make sure you get your payslips to see what tax and deductions are being taken off.

Also this is illegal for your employer not to provide a wage slip, I had to fight my ex employer through court so he would pay me and provide wage slips as he refused :/

Just cover your back because if you are not having any tax or NI deducted from you salary, it needs to be paid one way or another.

Hope that helps a little lol

x x :D

Thanks guys
I do have a contract and I will have to have a look to see if it states what my wage is on there. If I remember rightly my annual pay rise has happened since i was given my contract so would this not mean that the contract isn't valid? As I haven't been given a new one.
I think I've received 3 pay slips since march this year and I get paid on a weekly basis so thats a lot missing.
I am paying my tax and national insurance as I've had a discussion
about this in the past with my boss.
I've now fallen into the higher National minimum wage bracket so I now think I should be entitled to the same wage as the other managers. Do you think I have a fair point ? There doesn't seem to be a wage structure within this company my boss just seems to pay what she wants at one point a junior was being paid more than what I was for a days work.
X

Sadly this is the way things go in the world...
It's not just beauty jobs it happens all over, sometimes in very big companies. As an ex office manager I had a wage of £20k, I had been in the position around about a year and my boss decided to bring in an office girl whom I was expected to train 100% and she was on £24.5k....as you can imagine I wasn't happy about this and went to my boss and complained. He said 'it is what it is'. I also got a telling off as I should have known better about wage discussion and knowing what other people get paid...could have been taken to a formal warning but I chose to leave shortly after.
Becareful what you say to a boss as this could be thrown back at you.
Age gets considered too much when pay is decided at so many places. My story is a prime example, I was 19 and doing very well for myself (I started at the company as an office junior and within 1 year was made office manager), the 'new girl' was 25...he felt she should be paid more due to having more bills to pay (she was married, I was living at home).
It's the way things go I'm afraid :(
Kx

If I were you I'd ask your boss for a meeting at a convenient time to discuss it. Make a list of all the good things you do for her business, extra duties you carry out, training other staff, bringing in clients etc, basically explain why she should appreciate you more! Then calmly say that you've heard on the grapevine that the other managers get paid x amount more than you and you wonder if there's any reason why and what you can do to get to their pay grade. There will more than likely be a reason, age, experience, size of salon etc. It's not a case of just accepting that this is how it is because that will leave you feeling undervalued and demotivated. If you can prove to your boss that in a mature way (even if you're seething inside and secretly want to put laxatives in her coffee) you're trying to see what you can do to improve yourself and therefore her business then she'll be more inclined to take your concerns seriously. Also I would during this discussion bring up the wage slips and request copies of all the missing ones. Tell her you're off to visit a mortgage broker or something and need all your accounts in order if you think this might help.

Thanks peeps
Ive taken in all of your advice in just gotta be confident and ask her about it lol x

Latest posts

Back