Feel disheartened after first day of job

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beverleyt

Reaction score
I finally got my first job in a salon and was really excited. It was 21 miles away but it only took 40 mins to get there for interview at 2.30. I started yesterday at 10am and the roads were so bad it took me an hour and a half but I thought I'll go a different way in future. I gave a facial to my first client and she was happy but the salon is run so slack. The owner has her 2 daughters working there and one was just sat in the back smoking with her mate so there wasn't much room for anyone else. They also don't use record cards or go through contraindications. She said they had some in a box but there was no order to which they were in and they had booked 2 one hour facials for me to do over 2 hours so I'd have no time to ask them to fill a card in and give an hour facial before the next client. She also wanted me to work 20 hours but 4 unpaid until I was experienced. It then took me over an hour to get back. I've had to tell her the travel is too much for me. I feel quite gutted as I thought I finally had my first job in a salon. Then I had another woman ring me up from an old interview saying she wanted me to work for free for the 2 days her therapist can't so I can get some work experience. Is it normal to work for free when first qualified? I'm on maternity leave with a 7 month old baby and don't want to be away from her if I'm not getting paid.

Aww, that's awful! I hope you find something soon! As for the lady who wants you to work for free as her therapist can't do it as she would like you to get work experience?! Is she having a laugh?! I personally feel She is doing it so she doesn't lose out on money and is using the excuse of giving you work experience so she doesn't have to pay another therapist! In addition, I'm sure this lady will still be charging the full price for the services she wants you to carry out and if I was the paying client I would be angry if the therapist was not getting paid for a service that I was paying for! Therefore I would politely decline her offerxx

That's what I thought. She said she wants me to do gel nails when I told her at the interview I'm not qualified in nail technology until July but she kept going on saying I'm not talking about tips just gel. I know but I still won't be qualified until July and we haven't even started gels yet! I dont know, I'd like some experience but I don't want the p### taken out of me.

That's what I thought. She said she wants me to do gel nails when I told her at the interview I'm not qualified in nail technology until July but she kept going on saying I'm not talking about tips just gel. I know but I still won't be qualified until July and we haven't even started gels yet! I dont know, I'd like some experience but I don't want the p### taken out of me.

When she said gel nails she probably means a UV color coat such as shellac or gelish ( though shellac is not a gel). She's got a cheek asking you to work for free to gain experience. I'm sure if you wanted to work for free you would have offered.
Just keep looking and don't loose heart as I'm sure something will come up for you soon.

Totally agree with all of the above. It sounds like they are trying to take advantage because you are newly qualified. Just keep on looking you will be so glad you did when the right job comes along! Chin up. Xxx

Sent from my HTC Desire S using SalonGeek

Things will get better hun, I wouldnt dream of asking you to work unpaid to cover somebody else, she is looking after her own interests not yours. Spend the time with you little babba while on the internet looking for other positions, it sounds like you have passion for your work so something will come up xxx

Too many people have the arrogance to claim that they are offering someone an opertunity to have them work for free. Avoid these cowbous like the plague.

Latest posts

Back