Feel inexperienced even though I'm about to qualify

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L2288

Reaction score
Apologies for the length of this but I wanted to be in-depth

So I started a 15 month training programme in September 2018. I was 30 at the time and I always wanted to be a hairdresser but got stuck in other jobs. So at first I was excited. I was sent to work with a salon on Fridays and Saturdays and the occassional Tuesday as this was the only days they were open. I also have been attending college on Mondays. My only real learning was at college. The salon I went to basically only wanted me to wash hair, sweep up and make tea and coffee and wash up. The only time I got to do anything practical was when they were running behind schedule and needed help applying a root colour. Initially they were saying in September that in the new year I should bring my scissors and they would start showing me how to cut but I never did one cut in the whole time. Then after one year my wage was supposed to go up to minimum wage for my age instead of apprentice wage and they argued that they agreed with the college that I would be on apprentice wage for 15 months. Which is illegal and I was really struggling with the lack of money and hours that whole year. So they cut my hours from 20 to about 8 to avoid paying me any extra than what they paid me on apprentice wage. So I had to phone acas and they wanted me to take them to a tribunal but my boss agreed to meet me halfway and pay me for college and only work Fridays. It was honestly such a joke.
Since I'm about to finish training they let me go mid December and I am still attending college but obviously I don't get paid for it. I don't feel ready to be qualified. Other girls from the college have been cutting, colouring and highlighting on the job so they're confident. I feel like I don't stand a chance as I haven't been able to put what I've learned in college into practice. Sometimes when I'm in college I have bad anxiety and my hands start to shake and my heart beats really fast and I feel like I just want to run out the door. I should be confident by now. I wonder how I will stand a chance getting a job. At the age I'm at they could easily hire someone younger for less and who has more practical experience. I worry this has all been a scam just to get funding because no one really seems concerned that I'm just not ready. Even the college just want me out the door and sign me off on things that aren't upto scratch. I'm not confident in my cuts. I don't know how to do layers. I'm freaking out. I haven't even met the required hours to qualify. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Does your college have a college training salon?
I was in my 40’s when I qualified and when I did my level 3, I had to rush through it because my husband had become very ill. My lovely tutor let me come into the college salon several times a week and get booked in for cuts and colours so I could practise whilst being supervised, and then get signed off for my Units more quickly.

Is there any particular tutor that you could chat to who might let you join one of their other practical training sessions?

Thank you for answering! The college is unfortunately only open on mondays so I can't get any extra time with my teacher.

Because you have done an apprenticeship you should have done all your training in the salon. And they should have been signing your assessment off inwould go back to the college and explain your not happy in the salon your in i have had no experience except with the kettle and have them find you somewhere else

Latest posts

Back